Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2012, 19:46   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: What car does your non-auto better half like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
My better half likes the Nano (gifted me one 2012 model) and also Honda City. I guess women have a thing or 2 for Honda's! May be it all started with Kinetic Honda or Honda Activa :P
+1 to that. My wife loves SUV's and on top of that when/if we ever by an SUV she wants it to be a Honda CRV. Who cares about Petrol Engine and low mileage

Although this is about car's: If you ask a bike preference she will settle for nothing less than a Royal Enfield
Old 3rd July 2012, 20:25   #182
Senior - BHPian

We have been married for 7 years and today I asked her this question (after bumping on this thread). I was pleasantly surprised to know that she loves Gypsy. I am all smiles now.
Old 3rd July 2012, 20:38   #183
Senior - BHPian

My wife saw a Rocky beige Thar and went "vow what is that Jeep?"
I said 'it's the Mahindra Thar'. She considered it very attractive. I was really surprised by her reaction.

Then after a few days I asked whether we can think of buying a Thar? Nope was the answer - she said she is too shy to be seen in one!! But she is open to the Thar as a second car. Now it is a huge task for me - first I need to upgrade from my hatch to a sedan, then save for a Thar and pray that it is still there in the market by that time!!
Old 3rd July 2012, 23:03   #184
BHPian

My wife is more fixated on the colors of cars than the car itself. Hence she loved the Brio because of the color in which it was advertised. Sadly for her, after our Red Swift, we have only bought cars in Silver and White (boring) colors.
One car that she loved though was the old Jetta Highline with the leather interiors. She feels it was much better than the new Jetta TL (I guess I share the same feeling)
Also while contemplating buying the X1, I got her to the showroom to have a look at the car and she ended up comparing it to the 5series parked next to it, and made me feel the X1 looked really cheap and not worth having a BMW badge on it. Never ended up buying the X1! (Partially cos of economics too)
She hates the Innova because it looks like a taxi and comes only in boring colors.
Old 4th July 2012, 06:12   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
"The one that looks like a Toyota. No, not that one, the other one."

Turns out it was a Porsche 911 Carrera. I'm sure the Germans are offended :-D
Reading this, I was laughing out loud at 6:00am in the morning!

BTW, my better half loves large SUV types - Fortuner, Endeavor etc
Old 4th July 2012, 16:49   #186
BHPian

Unlike most women, my wife is into cars, courtesy my FIL.. He's crazy about cars, and is extremely clear about his likes/dislikes.

We got married in 2007. I had a Baleno, she had a Getz. She utterly detested the Baleno. The discussions about replacing my car started during our courtship itself. I am surprised how we ended up owning it till early this year.

For that matter, i am still surprised how she ended up choosing to marry a man who owns a Baleno, cuz for her, Baleno is LS. ;-)

Earnest discussions on replacing the Baleno started in H2 2011. I was keen on a small, automatic car - am a practical guy. She wanted a car just for status.

Numerous fights happened - 3 months into them i decided to give in and agreed to buy a larger car, with roughly 15 lac as budget for the car. That would be adequate status for her, right?

Started evaluating cars - XUV was launched, I was impressed. Wanted to book one - but she was not impressed. Mahindra as a brand was not status enough for her.

I gave up on XUV, started evaluating other Diesel hatches. Liked the Jetta and Laura. However, Jetta did not come with an auto in any of the lower variants, was pricier. Laura lower end auto variants were perfect for my needs - fitted my budget, 140 BHP Diesel, Amazing auto transmission...

But for some reason, whenever i started discussions on buying the Laura, we again ended up having fights. She preferred Jetta over Laura, was okay with the lowest end variant, did not care about the insides, how the car drives, whether it had auto/manual.... I always countered that Laura was the status she needed, but she was never impressed. I also tried positioning the SUVs in that segment - Captiva, Fortuner - but again she remained unimpressed, not even willing to go along for a dekho.

I between fights, were periods of complete silence, intermitted by events where even the slightest mention of the word 'CAR' would lead to another fight...

3 months further down, 6 months since we started having these brain draining fights about the next car purchase, i gave in and booked a Jetta CL. I, a fool, never realized that since the beginning, she had always wanted a Jetta - she loved the looks, and moreover, its my FIL's favorite car as well... :-))))

No cribs anymore --- i love the Jetta, now that i have it. I agree with my wife that its the best looker amongst the segment.. Though would have preferred that it had the auto in the lower variants and were a lakh or 2 cheaper... ;-)
Old 4th July 2012, 17:48   #187
BHPian

My wife likes old Accord(earlier generation), she likes our Safari, likes the Honda Brio & Ford Figo. And hates the Nano like anything. If that was not the case, I would have purchased Nano by now.
Old 4th July 2012, 20:09   #188
AVR
BHPian

My wife likes the same vehicles as I do!
1) my now-sold Thunderbird - She loved it apart from the fact that it had a shorter rear seat thanks to a few changes I'd done! She even learnt to ride it!
2) My Safari - Her Dad had one few years back and she loves that we own one too
3) My Jeep - She started off with loving it. Used to drive it with the windshield down and me sitting as passenger. But ever since the Jeep started taking over mindspace thanks to all the mod jobs etc, it's a love-hate relationship.
4) Her Scorpio - Only SUV she could have bought given we already had a Safari and she needed her own SUV too.
5) We both are looking forward to the Safari Storme too for our next vehicle!

But don't get me wrong. She's not an auto-enthusiast and surely doesn't appreciate my obsession with Team-bhp

Cheers,
Adi
Old 5th July 2012, 14:55   #189
kkg
BHPian

My wife loved Nano when she first saw it in Jan 2010. We ended up buying one 20 days later. Now after seeing Nano2012 in white she wants to replace ours for that.

Apart form the Nano she really likes Ford Fusion. In fact, it is the only car she does not mind buying used (new is of course not available). This is because back in 2009 we were in Lucknow for a marriage and there was a Ford showroom near our hotel and we checked Fusion TDCI in white colour. Ever since, she likes one. Hope to own one soon,used of course.
Old 5th July 2012, 15:10   #190
BANNED

No matter how beautiful a hatch/SUV might look to me, she doesn't bother to give a damn. She is all into Sadans, even if it is Indigo vs Fortuner. In her opinion, hatchbacks are too small (in fact they can't be called a car) and SUVs look as commercial vehicles (no offence meant). It's only because of her, I am not able to think of Safari.
Old 5th July 2012, 16:21   #191

My better half just adores our present car (Swift), no other car, no matter how expensive or inexpensive comes near. Emotional attachment, you see
Old 5th July 2012, 19:25   #192
BHPian

Of late my wife has developed a craze on Skoda Superb, she just loves it specially in Black color. I tried showing her the Punto and some other beauties in the hatch league like i20, swift but she doesn't even care to look at them.

I hope she doesn't give me a shock one day asking to gift her a Superb for birthday or anniversary
Old 6th July 2012, 02:40   #193
Senior - BHPian

My better half admires the Skoda badge on the front grill be it of Rapid, Laura or Superb.
She really wishes to have Santro Xing for her due to fond memories we have for the Xing and that is the only car she has driven alone.
As regards cars owned by us, by seeing my passion and some study before the purchase, I managed to make her really admire all of our cars, be it Xing, Fusion or T-Jet.
With regards to differences she hates Nano and Swift as much as I love them.
Old 6th July 2012, 16:31   #194
BHPian

In my wife's case, the choice is typical.

Brio
Micra
Beetle

Old 7th July 2012, 12:48   #195
BHPian

My better half likes Pajero, Fabia(Red) and Punto (bossanova white).. She says the Pajero looks macho! Loves Fabia for its ride quality and Punto for the looks. The moment a Pajero appears on the road, she joyfully says "anga parunga Pajero (look there, Pajero)". :-)

Little OT, Once we saw a macho Beemr SUV on road, and she started admiring beemer from then on. Sadly two weeks back she started hating Beemer like anything. Two weeks back I got a call from Bangalore BMW dealer saying that they are offering Test drives, to collect feedback from people. And said he will come to my place the next day. I was so happy to drive a beemer and informed my wife too. Next day, we were eagerly waiting for the call. We waited waited ... and the call did not happen. I called the number and some one else answered it. After informing the details, he said he will call back in 10 mins.

After 30 mins, there was no call. I felt bit upset, and my wifey was totally upset. I did not wanted to call them again and dropped the hopes. From then on, no more BMW in our pages. LOL. In future If I can afford to buy any premium European cars, We'd go for a Audi, MB or Volvo.. but not a BMW.

Last edited by rajeshsundaram : 7th July 2012 at 12:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks