Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2008, 14:59   #541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
How so? I find it tough driving the Swift/M800/Whatever because the clutch is so light. Personally prefer a heavier clutch as it gives me more control.

P.S. I am trying to point out that this is a personal preference. Just like the brakes taking some getting used to.

Something similar I have realised lately too. I used to get left knee pain after hectic driving on my WagonR. Now, with same or more amount of driving, i dont feel any effect of long drives(Palio 1.6).
Old 4th March 2008, 15:09   #542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipt123 View Post
Can someone who's taken a test drive throw some light on the type of clutch used in this car. Is it as hard as the one used in the Palio NV? or is it comparable to the Indica/ Indigo Light clutch. I found the Palio NV had a heavy Clutch inspite of being a Petrol Car, which is bad for City Use
Palio has a hydraulic clutch and upside is smooth pick up starting standing still... almost all maruti's including the Swift have a jerky start to the motion if you start from standstill. If you ask me I will prefer the Palio's heavy clutch to the lighter but jerkier clutch in Maruti's primarily because it gives me better control overall.
Old 4th March 2008, 15:36   #543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
How so? I find it tough driving the Swift/M800/Whatever because the clutch is so light. Personally prefer a heavier clutch as it gives me more control.

P.S. I am trying to point out that this is a personal preference. Just like the brakes taking some getting used to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Palio has a hydraulic clutch and upside is smooth pick up starting standing still... almost all maruti's including the Swift have a jerky start to the motion if you start from standstill. If you ask me I will prefer the Palio's heavy clutch to the lighter but jerkier clutch in Maruti's primarily because it gives me better control overall.
I feel, a Heavier Clutch combined with the Palio positioning of the pedals - where you have to "push" instead of the conventional pedal positions like maruti/ indica/ indigo is a bane for city driving. Also it gives me an impression that the vehicle is not sensitive enough.
In Bumper to bumper city driving conditions, where clutch/ gearbox usage is high, the palio clutch involves a good workout of the legs! Also during start stop conditions of climbing up a slope, the lighter clutch is very easy to use. Also in a heavy clutch, chances of "riding the clutch" is quite high- which results in high wear of the clutch and pressure plates- which means higher maintenance costs.
P.S. :- As said earlier, this might be just my personal preference.
Old 5th March 2008, 00:11   #544
F50
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I did drive the car for fairly long time, 80 odd kms.

@1100D - It had stock tyres and I guess the same ones which comes on Stile.

@shineshine - Yes, I have never driven a Palio 1.9 but if it has the same gear-box, sorry I am not impressed. Definitely, its better than Indica. I still like Vdi's.

Brakes, yes they are sensitive, I got habituated of it in few hundred meters.
I got so used to the Palio brakes that for Indica I had to start braking 4 car lengths before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50
Palio is > Indica but < Swift.
Im saying this after driving the Palio Multijet, Indica Dicor and Swift Vdi.
Old 5th March 2008, 00:16   #545
Team-BHP Support

F50, where did you get to drive the Palio 1.3 Multijet? Main chalaoon?
Old 5th March 2008, 00:22   #546
F50
Senior - BHPian

MF, nobody gives to drive for 80+ kms if one does Mai chalaoon.
And Mai Chalaoon for Fiat Multijet??? Please!!
Old 5th March 2008, 00:23   #547
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
MF, nobody gives to drive for 80+ kms if one does Mai chalaoon.
And Mai Chalaoon for Fiat Multijet??? Please!!
Arre I was asking you for Mai Chalaoon?
Old 5th March 2008, 01:36   #548
BHPian

[quote=F50;746133]Yes, I did drive the car for fairly long time, 80 odd kms.

Brakes, yes they are sensitive, I got habituated of it in few hundred meters.
I got so used to the Palio brakes that for Indica I had to start braking 4 car lengths before.

Agree with the Break part of the palio, i drive an Indica. So when I was driving my bro's Palio NV and braked (as I would in an Indica), the rear passenger almost came to the front seat! Phew Lucky I didn't have any vehicle close up behind me.
Also would like to point out that for the first year of my ownership of the Indica, the breaks were fantastic, then the performance reduced with years, even after regular maintainence - Like changing break oil, and worn out pads in sets etc.
Old 5th March 2008, 11:26   #549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I did drive the car for fairly long time, 80 odd kms.

Im saying this after driving the Palio Multijet, Indica Dicor and Swift Vdi.
How do you rate MJD's ride and handling wrt Indica and Swift VDI?
Old 5th March 2008, 11:49   #550
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
How do you rate MJD's ride and handling wrt Indica and Swift VDI?
I didnt do handling test on 3 of these, but here it goes:
Palio
Swift - close
Indica
Old 5th March 2008, 11:52   #551
Team-BHP Support

Unless the price is really really low people will buy the swift.
And even if the price is low, they would look at the indica.
Over the past 5 years, we can safely say that Palio has stagnated.
When Palio and indica were compared in 2002, Indica was behind. Palio was a better car.
But indica has been tested by a million customers in India, whereas Palio has stagnated.
Reason? Palio is end of the road. Fiat has moved on to the likes of Punto etc., Polio is like history.
this is the reason that they are targetting 3000cars a year. For an economical diesel to sell 250 cars a month is shameful.
I wonder why doesn't fiat, get new designs. Its like Maruti not launching SX4 but giving esteem new headlamps and claiming a new car.
No matter how good this car is, it won't be the turnaround story for Fiat.
1 year later fiat will bring in its newer models.

Even today getting spares is a problem(even in big cities). Imagine when the Palio lineup is replaced. What will happen then?

Its high time Fiat India learned to take bold decisions and stop flogging a deadhorse
Old 5th March 2008, 11:54   #552
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, indeed the gearbox is very rubbery. Gear-shifting is what I actually hated with Fiat Palio Multijet. Same goes with brakes, they are too sensitive. If one doesn't have control over the car, I bet he/she is going to get back to the showroom for denting work within 1km of driving it.
Body, bit better than Indica and Swift. One should expect as it's build like a tank.
Engine, yes there is no life till 2000 rpm after that it goes. So city driving under heavy traffic actually becomes a pain.
And I was not impressed by the interiors. Cost cutting measures has made me say this statement.

Actually, Palio is > Indica but < Swift.
Hi,

Where did you get to drive the MJD? Is it available at the dealers? Would love to try one.
Old 5th March 2008, 11:57   #553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rao_battula View Post
Braking in Palio for first timers is scary. But once the person get habituated to it, it would be one the best at least.

-BSR
I agree. I have to be forever careful when my son sits at the back. A little bit hard on the brakes and it unseats him A bit slow and you will tend to rear end the guy in the front. Planning is the key...
Old 5th March 2008, 14:50   #554
BHPian

Launch Date:- 11th march

Just spoken to someone at Fiat:-

Release is on 11th of march and car will come in three variants. Top end will have alloy wheels (different design, I guess).
Unfortunately no ABS and Airbags as of now.

Good news is that Engine/ Transmission will be imported from Poland.
Local manufacturing will start after 3 months.

I’ve asked for the price information, may get it by tomorrow.

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th March 2008 at 15:29. Reason: Please remove Font tags before posting
Old 5th March 2008, 15:15   #555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
I agree. I have to be forever careful when my son sits at the back. A little bit hard on the brakes and it unseats him A bit slow and you will tend to rear end the guy in the front. Planning is the key...
I always thought Palio always came with rear seat belts right from the beginning. If it is a minor boy younger than 9 years and going on high speed, we should always put the child seat. I always used it on highways be it Indica or Palio.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks