Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2008, 02:13   #106
BANNED

does this have a sunroof ?
Old 23rd June 2008, 02:29   #107
BHPian

Difficult to understand VW strategy for India, won't it be simpler if they position it as they do abroad and take Laura back to where Octavia is and should have been and retire Octavia. That would make it simpler for their marketing and entry of VW models, won't it?

Also Tiguan is being sold at a $5k premium to RAV4 and CRV in US and a loaded version can go $7-8k plus, and given VW's pricing here 24 lakhs plus is very probable. It has better handling, interiors and ergonomics than both CRV and RAV4 according to reviews & consumer reports but that's a lot of money plus high gas prices. But probably anyone who can afford to buy a 20 lakh car in India which is $50000 won't be too worried about gas prices.
Old 23rd June 2008, 02:34   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
does this have a sunroof ?
It is usually an optional extra. Not many cars with AC come with a sunroof as standard.
Old 23rd June 2008, 03:01   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
You get German quality with VAG cars rather than gizmos.

If you want a car that will last then you can't beat a VW. Yes Honda and Toyota give you gizmos but what use are they in a car that will never last as long as a VW. I would rather have a solid car that lasts a long time than something with gizmos.
I think you're confusing build quality with reliability here. While it is true that German cars are almost always better built than their competitors from other makes it is also true worldwide that Jap cars are the most reliable & long lasting. While German cars will give you that hewn from one block feel & attention to detail, they are known to be prone to problems especially electrics and more so in our taxing conditions. Whereas, the Japs while being built not so well & not having that high attention to detail ensure that their cars are much more reliable for a longer period of time.

Even in Europe or the US, VW is not known to be a maker of outstnadingly reliable cars like Honda or Toyota.
Old 23rd June 2008, 03:27   #110

Quote:
It is usually an optional extra. Not many cars with AC come with a sunroof as standard.
Thats absolutely RIDICULOUS.

@Ishaan, I second with you on that. Case in point, Opel Astra and Honda city(for example) The Astra was a solid car and was really really well built buttt the city on the other hand, is way more relaible even though it doesnt feel as well built as the astra was. But at the same time, the astra is not that relaible as the city.
Old 23rd June 2008, 10:57   #111
BANNED

Quote:
till date i have never understood the logic behind that, though you are not the first person to tell me that.
Old 23rd June 2008, 13:56   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, sunroof's are generally optional and come bundled with packages but it has nothing to do with AC's.

I have always wondered why D segment and higher cars don't have sunroof as standard in India. At least the 2 million plus Camry's, Passat's and the German trio luxury brands should give sunroof as standard. Does anyone know if the S class in India comes with sunroof as standard?
Old 23rd June 2008, 13:59   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I think you're confusing build quality with reliability here. While it is true that German cars are almost always better built than their competitors from other makes it is also true worldwide that Jap cars are the most reliable & long lasting. While German cars will give you that hewn from one block feel & attention to detail, they are known to be prone to problems especially electrics and more so in our taxing conditions. Whereas, the Japs while being built not so well & not having that high attention to detail ensure that their cars are much more reliable for a longer period of time.

Even in Europe or the US, VW is not known to be a maker of outstnadingly reliable cars like Honda or Toyota.
I see plenty of 20 year old Golfs on the road in the UK but very few 20 year old Hondas or Toyotas. Must be partly down to build quality and reliability that the VAG cars are still going.
Old 23rd June 2008, 14:04   #114
Senior - BHPian

Why do you guys want sunroofs ?

From my point of view unless I wanted a car full of dust and liked spending hours detailing the interior a sunroof would not be on my list of essential features. This view is based on travelling in rural areas (Haryana and Punjab).
Old 23rd June 2008, 15:02   #115
BANNED

Quote:
Why do you guys want sunroofs ?

From my point of view unless I wanted a car full of dust and liked spending hours detailing the interior a sunroof would not be on my list of essential features. This view is based on travelling in rural areas (Haryana and Punjab).
reasons why :

i find it cool
family does too
so does the girlfriend
in winders open it and get out & in earlier times used to have some women out of it too. its damn good fun it one likes it
Old 23rd June 2008, 15:49   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
reasons why :

i find it cool
family does too
so does the girlfriend
in winders open it and get out & in earlier times used to have some women out of it too. its damn good fun it one likes it
Cool as in cooling the interior ?

The AC does a better job and you do not have to breathe in all the exhaust fumes from trucks etc.
Old 23rd June 2008, 16:35   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Yes, sunroof's are generally optional and come bundled with packages but it has nothing to do with AC's.

I have always wondered why D segment and higher cars don't have sunroof as standard in India. At least the 2 million plus Camry's, Passat's and the German trio luxury brands should give sunroof as standard. Does anyone know if the S class in India comes with sunroof as standard?

all mercs in india come with sunroof as standard
Old 23rd June 2008, 17:03   #118
BHPian

U people forgot about its most important usage :
- For seeing the moon on Karvachaut!
Old 23rd June 2008, 18:53   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
Exteriors certainly looks duller than the imposing Laura (more like Corolla I feel) but lots of chrome in the front - I guess head lamps will be Xenon.
Jetta's primary market has been the US and therefore you see a lot of chrome, big oversized and ugly boot. Thankgod the 2.5 liter 5cyl engine didn't make it. Usually they change the headlight from the Golf but due to cost cutting, they left it out for this generation. For my money, I'll pick a Rabbit 10/10.
Old 23rd June 2008, 20:45   #120
Senior - BHPian

The sunroof is a £525 extra in the UK.

Great interactive web site :

The Official Website for Volkswagen UK : Volkswagen UK

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks