Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2008, 16:00   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Agey View Post
This surely eat into scorpio market, for the simple reason that a very large number of scorpios are being used as taxis. The personal user segment may not be effected.
I never saw a large number of Scorpio taxis,which city are you talking about?
Old 15th January 2008, 16:04   #32
BHPian

I am talking about Delhi, and most of them are bought as private cars and used as taxis.

I personally know six scorpio owners and unfortunately all six use it as a Taxi. All have white number plates and available at IGI as a private taxi.

Last edited by Car-Agey : 15th January 2008 at 16:08.
Old 15th January 2008, 16:10   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I never saw a large number of Scorpio taxis,which city are you talking about?
Come to Punjab there are plenty of Scorpio taxis and Safari taxis. Even little taxi stands in large villages have both vehicles as taxis.

On my last visit I saw Scorpio and Safari taxis in Sangrur, Patiala, Ludhiana, Jalandhar, Phagwara and Amritsar. I live in Haryana and even here we had a Scoprio taxi in a nearby village (although the guy has now sold it).

Last edited by bigman : 15th January 2008 at 16:11.
Old 15th January 2008, 19:59   #34
BHPian

Sumo Grande Vs Scorpio

Well with Tatas coming out with the New Sumo Grande, Scorpio is sure to take a hit in sales unless they do wonders with the New scorpio M-Hawk which is due anytime now.
Having said that I must also say that the two cars are priced very differently, the scorpio is almost 2lac more expensive than the Grande and im sure the M-Hawk will be even more expensive.

>>AK
Old 15th January 2008, 22:35   #35
BANNED

Ha ha.... one more Safari Scorpio fight to fit in for plight of Sumo Grande

Yes i agree. Safari cant beat such a low scale sales managed by Scorpio.

For the Record Safari beats Scorpio black and blue in terms of sales and on road.

Sumo Grande will surely hit Scorpio sales.

Lets do a small compare

Sumo Grande= 2.2 ltr DICOR 120 BHP
Scorpio M Hawk= 2.2 ltr CRDE 120 BHP

Sumo Grande= More Leg/Head and Luggage room
Scorpio M Hawk= Still the same old cramped interiors.

Safari 2.2 DICOR = 2.2 ltr DICOR 140 BHP
Safari 2.2 DICOR = Great Space all over(MINI HOME)

Man Lets compare apples to apples.

Safari is way beyond your comparision.

Lets not get into this duel again, Whatever outcome is known by one and all.

Why are everyone in a hurry to disintegrate the old Scorpio(I didnt get the sting).Its still a good SUV and let it remain that way guys.
Old 15th January 2008, 22:55   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

For the Record Safari beats Scorpio black and blue in terms of sales and on road.

Sumo Grande will surely hit Scorpio sales.

Lets do a small compare

Sumo Grande= 2.2 ltr DICOR 120 BHP
Scorpio M Hawk= 2.2 ltr CRDE 120 BHP

Sumo Grande= More Leg/Head and Luggage room
Scorpio M Hawk= Still the same old cramped interiors.

Safari 2.2 DICOR = 2.2 ltr DICOR 140 BHP
Safari 2.2 DICOR = Great Space all over(MINI HOME)

Man Lets compare apples to apples.

Safari is way beyond your comparision.

Lets not get into this duel again, Whatever outcome is known by one and all.

Why are everyone in a hurry to disintegrate the old Scorpio(I didnt get the sting).Its still a good SUV and let it remain that way guys.
Do you have evidence to prove "For the Record Safari beats Scorpio black and blue in terms of sales and on road"?we are talking numbers here.

There is a lot more than XXXbhp@XXXXrpm to a vehicle.All vehicles especially Scorpio and Safari have their own merits and demerits.to list a few Scorpio cant beat Safari for comfort and space but most new Safaris come with manufacturing defects.
Old 15th January 2008, 23:37   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Do you have evidence to prove "For the Record Safari beats Scorpio black and blue in terms of sales and on road"?we are talking numbers here.

There is a lot more than XXXbhp@XXXXrpm to a vehicle.All vehicles especially Scorpio and Safari have their own merits and demerits.to list a few Scorpio cant beat Safari for comfort and space but most new Safaris come with manufacturing defects.

Its always the same when this old arguement starts. More about wet dreams over the Safari when growing up and going through puberty than any real rationale behind the claims.

The usual, Safari handles better theory has been tested and in a cone test it was found wanting even compared to the pre Lotus tuned suspension Scorpio.

Yes the Safari has poor finish but so the Scorpio also has quality problems. There are design problems which mean that if you go through a puddle of water the windscreen is engulfed in water . The Mahindras have not even bothered to replace the factory supplied jack which is like a sponge condom when it comes to usability.
Old 15th January 2008, 23:50   #38
BANNED

Thums up for Sumo Grande

Anshuman, don't you read auto mags like autocar and overdrive? both mags say that new safari 2.2. dicor can easily beat scorpio's 2.2 hawk in top speed and acceleration. isn't that reason enough to tip scales in favour of safari? I mean performance has always been scorpio's forte and it alwys used to blow safari into weeds. but looks like tables have turned. all that performance plus spacious interiors should make safari a better choice what with all that full size SUV looks.

As for Sumo Grande, it just rocks. look at that shape. doesn't it resemble mitsu montero? i don't understand you guys. How come that shape is welcome on a montero but not on a sumo. it looks stunning and with increased length, third row will be much more spacious than in a scorpio. it may be an MUV but i'm sure it will affect acorpio and innova sales too. an SUV looking MUV for 8 lakhs with spacious interiors , all new look, powerful CRD engine---- what more can one ask? i can't digest innova and tavera's van like looks. and Bolero looks too boxy, cramped and too rudimentary. that only left safari and scorpio. well Grande is the new addition to steal the thunder. i also do not understand all the fuss some guys make about sumo or for that matter scorpio being used as taxis. so what? go to any five star hotels and you will also see accents, fiestas, skodas, camrys, accords, BMWs and Mercs with yellow plates. what about this then?
Old 16th January 2008, 00:55   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Anshuman, don't you read auto mags like autocar and overdrive? both mags say that new safari 2.2. dicor can easily beat scorpio's 2.2 hawk in top speed and acceleration. isn't that reason enough to tip scales in favour of safari? I mean performance has always been scorpio's forte and it alwys used to blow safari into weeds. but looks like tables have turned. all that performance plus spacious interiors should make safari a better choice what with all that full size SUV looks.

As for Sumo Grande, it just rocks. look at that shape. doesn't it resemble mitsu montero? i don't understand you guys. How come that shape is welcome on a montero but not on a sumo. it looks stunning and with increased length, third row will be much more spacious than in a scorpio. it may be an MUV but i'm sure it will affect acorpio and innova sales too. an SUV looking MUV for 8 lakhs with spacious interiors , all new look, powerful CRD engine---- what more can one ask? i can't digest innova and tavera's van like looks. and Bolero looks too boxy, cramped and too rudimentary. that only left safari and scorpio. well Grande is the new addition to steal the thunder. i also do not understand all the fuss some guys make about sumo or for that matter scorpio being used as taxis. so what? go to any five star hotels and you will also see accents, fiestas, skodas, camrys, accords, BMWs and Mercs with yellow plates. what about this then?
read the magazine again dude(pls tell me page no. and issue),and drive the cars,ACI says scorpio 2.2 is faster.PERIOD
Old 16th January 2008, 01:23   #40
Team-BHP Support

Warning: Please stick to the topic guys. This is a Sumo/Scorpio thread. Do NOT get Safari into this. Whole of the last one and a half page has degenerated into a Safari-Scorpio mudslinging match. You want to fight this Safari-Scorpio game, take it to one of the Safari vs Scorpio threads on this board. We have enough such available.
Old 16th January 2008, 08:24   #41
Senior - BHPian

@Zappo

Thanks Zappo for putting the stop on the Safari Vs Scorpio fight.

There is no more comparison with Safari to Scorpio, it is only Sumo Grande Vs Scorpio.

THE SAFARI IS THE KING AND WILL LIVE LIKE A KING FOR EVER
Old 16th January 2008, 13:40   #42
BANNED

agree moderator,

I feel we should wait till the new Sumo Grande is launched, then we can go on talking about the two.

As of now Sumo Grande is a stunner in its looks.

Thats where Scorpio lags behind.

Lets wait for the final test.

THE SAFARI IS THE KING AND WILL LIVE LIKE A KING FOREVER...
Old 16th January 2008, 13:43   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

its Scorpio Vs Grande thread,despite warning by moderator zappo somepeople are still screaming about safari defending their investment.
Old 16th January 2008, 14:38   #44
BHPian

One of my friend worked on this research initiated by Toyota some time back - While Innova could beat Scorpio on a number of parameters, Scorpio did better in sales.

So basically - even though the new Sumo is a better product and better value for money than Scorpio, you can never predict who is gonna do better than whom in the market.

Not all consumers are guided by numbers on paper.
Old 16th January 2008, 15:03   #45
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

saw the grande at the auto expo. . . it is a well thought car. the tail lights are simply stunning. and specially the seating is well thought too.

only grouse is becase of using comman parts in all cars, the dashboard comes accross as too pale. but the car on the whole is veryvery very impressive.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks