Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2008, 15:25   #46
Senior - BHPian

hi
sumo grande will eat out a pie both from Scorpio & safari or rather any MUV or SUV in 8-9 lakh bracket. It will appeal to those who cannot plonk in for safari or a scorpio but would want to fulfill thier SUV aspirations. Bolero slx sales also would get effected.

Also it would appeal to those who want to think of an alternative to tavera for space and luxury as sumo now comes with twin a/c. The answer to sumo grande could be from ingenio.

Regular sumo will keep come in which will compete against bolero. Sumo grande may not come in 4wd as the market is too small, but if they come then many people will opt for it as theres no comfortable 4x4 available below 10 lakhs now in india. (Gurkha cannot be considered as it isa true blue off roader and not for family long distance travel as it comes only with 3 doors). Sumo will have to prove that it is as tough as mahindra's to bite a share out of them

vinod
Old 16th January 2008, 17:23   #47
Senior - BHPian

Sumo Grande Specs

Found out some specification details on the Sumo Grande models, but not sure is this the exact specification.

Vehicle Comparison - Tata Sumo Grande GX , Tata Sumo Grande LX

Please go through the above link for the specification.
Old 16th January 2008, 17:24   #48
Senior - BHPian

More Details

]Tata Sumo Grande is expected to hit the market in February 2008 and boasts of features like 3 row seating, beige colored interiors, fire and stain resistant upholstery, power steering, power windows, temperature control, height adjustable driver seat and CD/MP3 music system. The technical specifications include 2.2 (DICOR) engine, longer wheelbase of 2550 mm, maximum power and torque of 120 PS and 250 Nm and turning circle radius of 5.25 m for extra maneuverability.

The Sumo Grande will be available in 3 variants - Lx, Ex and Gx, with two seating configurations, 6+1 and 7+1. Moreover, this heavy duty yet elegant beauty will throng the markets in seven shades including 4 new ones - Sunset Orange, Zephyr Green, Mineral Red and Marine Blue. The Grande comes with a price tag between Rs.6.55 lakhs to Rs.7.49 lakhs, along with a warranty of 2 years or 75000 kms (which ever is earlier). This can be further extended up to two additional years in an extended warranty scheme.
Old 16th January 2008, 21:38   #49
Senior - BHPian

Sumo Grand kills Scorpio or not, but the Ingenio is still an unknown quantity.

Looks wise the Sumo Grand is no charmer. Handling wise, Tata MUV's are in no way ahead of the Mahindra's. Ride quality and space are their strong points.

Lets see how it shapes up.

Its futile to ask peoples opinion on what will kill what, as the real results will show soon.
Old 18th January 2008, 16:59   #50
BHPian

I think the Tata Sumo Grande won't even leave breathing room for any of it's competitors when it comes charging into the market.The time is for fresh ideas and innovations and the "oldies" like the Safari and the Scorpio will take a beating at the hands of the new Sumo.
Old 28th January 2008, 13:40   #51
Senior - BHPian

Td

got an update from showroom guys that Tata has sent Sumo Grande vehicles for test drive to all showrooms and they are yet to receive it
Old 2nd February 2008, 18:56   #52
BHPian

ok.. here goes the latest on sumo grande. It should be launched next week some time. The vehicles have arrived the dealer and its there in their stock yards.

Today i saw the vehicle , sorry was not able to take the photos.

What i saw :

1. A light sky blue color Sumo Grande Dicor. ( almost the light blue color of Team BHP webiste )
2. There was lot of engine sound, its a 2.2 ltr i think.
3. Interiors was bit better than the old sumo ( but still the same old cheap plastic ), but was not able to have a detailed look
4. Exteriors - Back look of the vehicle is not good, the wheels look small for the vehicle, front as got a new look
5. As per the test driver of the dealer, he says its not upto the mark.

Will update when i get more information.

regards
Deepak

Last edited by kdeepakk : 2nd February 2008 at 18:58.
Old 2nd February 2008, 22:48   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeepakk View Post
5. As per the test driver of the dealer, he says its not upto the mark.
regards
Deepak
It is not upto what mark? Test driver at the dealer or just a dealer's driver? We should not attach much seriousness to whatever these drivers say. Most of their knowledge is limited.
Old 2nd February 2008, 22:52   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katalysm76 View Post
I think the Tata Sumo Grande won't even leave breathing room for any of it's competitors when it comes charging into the market.The time is for fresh ideas and innovations and the "oldies" like the Safari and the Scorpio will take a beating at the hands of the new Sumo.
It will NEVER, EVER beat the Super Santro. Thats for sure.
Old 3rd February 2008, 10:20   #55
LLL
BHPian

Would love to see a good TD report from folks who drive a safari and scorpio on how it compares with them. As well as some folks who drive existing sumo.
Old 3rd February 2008, 19:08   #56
BHPian

Sumo Grande.... well we have to wait and watch how the market respons...
Old 4th February 2008, 08:58   #57

Go "Sumo Grande"

This is one vehicle I am really looking forward. I called up the showroom guys several times last week and found that the top end variant comes with ABS but no Airbags. Will have to wait and see, hope we will know more this week.

Regards
cjrao.
Old 4th February 2008, 11:51   #58
tez
BHPian

Best review can be given by safari and scorpio owners test driving Grande. Then we can compare the comfort of safari and grande.
Old 5th February 2008, 09:51   #59
BHPian

Have sat inside the Sumo Grande... I am a six footer. The third row space is much better than Scorpio. Scorpio's is a joke...!

Interior finish behind Scorpio but then it is cheaper too...

Equipment level - more logical than Scorpio... Especially the second ro seats completly recline and tumble forward. Quite comfortable... The blowers are neatly integrated in the roof... The best on any indian SUV under fifteen lakhs...!

Engine is 2.2. Refinement is so so... comparable to Scorpio I thought... But maybe I am wrong.. Didn't spend much time on it.

Overall was pleased... not perfect but for 6.5 lakh starting price quite decent...
Old 5th February 2008, 11:52   #60
tez
BHPian

trapezio, did u manage to click a few snaps of grande. What about fit and finish and quality of plastics.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks