Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2008, 18:32   #301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Condor who has personally seen the car says, yes.
As for the question above which you answered, the alloys and leather are part of optional stuff, with there being just one standard variant. That explains my answer, as they arent standard.
Digi display is neat.

No offence, but i meant that mags and stuff are available with the packs, as in for others cars they arnt available with the base version (i.e standard there either) but are available with the higher or highest version, and with the ikon they operate with blast packs or pay extra for it, so works our in a similar way, So one cant say that they arn't available.

Last edited by gendarmee : 30th October 2008 at 18:34.
Old 30th October 2008, 20:55   #302
BANNED

@Condor: When is the launch expected, and how much of a price difference is expected from the existing Ikon Flair with the new one (the petrol variant)?
I think if it is attractively priced, there is going to be a lot of buyers. The only other petrol sedan that comes close to the Flair, in terms of pricing, features, etc. is the Hyundai Accent Executive.
I hope they continue to keep sedans in this price range, and not do away with them instead!
Old 30th October 2008, 23:19   #303
BANNED

new ikon launch

Hi all,
The new ikon is being launched on nov 7th 2008 in chennai. It seems the car is too good, all we need is the correct pricing.
If priced properly it will take on Dzire and indigo, hope it will give them a run
lets wish ford all the best.
Old 30th October 2008, 23:29   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha View Post
When is the launch expected, and how much of a price difference is expected from the existing Ikon Flair with !
The launch is expected on November 05.
Source : Ford to launch new Ikon TDCi diesel on November 05th | Vicky blog | Indian Automobile blog

Article:
Quote:
Ford will come out with the refurbished version of its old workhorse ikon. Ikon introduced in 2001 had been popular sedan among Indian customers till the advent of new generation entry level sedans such as logan and swift DZire. Ikon lost its sheen due to its outdated styling and last year economic times reported that the american automaker may cease the production of ikon as the model would fail the safety norms which is due in 2010. But since Ford could bring its small car only in 2010, it has to fiddle with the ikon for sometime.

New Ford ikon would come with facelifted front and spruced up interiors. A kink in the headlamps, redesigned aggressive front bumper and reshaped bonnet would give the ikon a modern look. Tail lamp cluster also gets refreshed. While the change inside the ikon will be limited to instrument cluster. With the facelift, new ikon will also get a new heart - 1.4 Diesel. New Ikon TDCi gets the1.4L turbocharged diesel which also powers the fiesta. High pressure common rail diesel engine pumps out 68PS of maximum power at 4000rpm and 160Nm of maximum torque.The engine is extremely frugal and returns 13kmpl in Fiesta. Considering the lesser weight of Ikon compared to Fiesta, you would expect the mileage of new Ikon TDCi around 15kmpl. Ford’s new Ikon TDCi will compete with Tata Indigo CS, Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire and Mahindra Reanault Logan base variant. New Ikon TDCi will be priced around Rs5 lakhs
The image on the above mentioned source.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Ikon Flair to have 1.4TDCI and Fiesta to have 1.6TDCI-tbhpfordikonn1.jpg  

Old 31st October 2008, 03:09   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Lambo, cant call it a modern engine - it's a gen old now, when you comare it with the MJ / QJ/ Swift. It is also not fully loaded at this time. Just one variant, that has not even the alloys / 14's. Ref my earlier post (prev page).
Condor,
I meant in reference to its competition.
Mainly the Indigo Dicor and the Logan's DCi unit, the Ikon will have the most advanced engine. I am not comparing it to the swifts or Getz or even the Dzire (an equivalent featured Dzire is pretty expensive for a sedan and this fits in between the Ikon and Fiesta IMHO).
I am guessing ford would offer a package like the IKool, which comes with alloys and leather as this car is aimed at the younger generation.

@aggoswami : the link says the Ikon was launched in 2001, however, it was launched in 1999 and will soon be completing 10 years on Indian roads. While that seems like a long time, it still is as good as newer generation cars from its stable like the Logan. Sad but true. I wish manufacturers would concentrate on launching new cars in this segment too rather than focus on the 8-10L sedans.

Last edited by lamborghini : 31st October 2008 at 03:11.
Old 31st October 2008, 03:32   #306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Lambo, cant call it a modern engine - it's a gen old now, when you comare it with the MJ / QJ/ Swift. It is also not fully loaded at this time. Just one variant, that has not even the alloys / 14's. Ref my earlier post (prev page).
its one of the most modern engines around compared to logan, swift and Verna. Has Common rail with Peizo injectors which many luxury cars dont. Bhp is low because its the 2v version.
Old 31st October 2008, 08:34   #307
Team-BHP Support

If it is going to be launched on Nov 5th, as mentioned here, expect an initial impressions review from me. I need to take my car for servicing on the 8th, so can club this as well with it.
Old 31st October 2008, 08:41   #308
Senior - BHPian

A bit OT....

general update on future stuff from Ford. This is info from a very reliable source who is relatively high up in Ford Marketing.

Ford is coming out with 3 new powertrains in 2009- 2 diesels and 1 petrol.
The Endy will get a facelift in mid to late 2009
there is a new endy coming out in 2010 that will have a shorter wheelbase- Ford may choose to use a different name though if the current Endy is still getting good sales.
there is a small car to take on the swift and i20 coming out in early 2010- the car has been primarily developed by Ford India in conjunction with Ford SA and will be a developing market offering from Ford.
Old 31st October 2008, 13:45   #309
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha View Post
When is the launch expected, and how much of a price difference is expected from the existing Ikon Flair with the new one (the petrol variant)?
Launch : Nov 5 (as mentioned by joshguy, and quoting vicky.in. - or Nov 7th, the probable launch date, as told to me. Should get an invite - will keep you guys posted.

Quote:
I think if it is attractively priced, there is going to be a lot of buyers. The only other petrol sedan that comes close to the Flair, in terms of pricing, features, etc. is the Hyundai Accent Executive.
Common sense suggests the pricing should be close to the Indigo TDi. Any other car (Indigo Dicor, Logan base -version included-, Swift are the next category. Those are bigger cars. An Ikon TDCi in that range will definitely be over-priced, a mistake that Ford can ill-afford to make.

The pic from Vicky.in, reproduced here, can be seen on wheels24.co.za, and is that of the Ford Bantam (again).
Old 31st October 2008, 14:23   #310
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Common sense suggests the pricing should be close to the Indigo TDi. Any other car (Indigo Dicor, Logan base -version included-, Swift are the next category. Those are bigger cars.
Condor, i dont see how the DZire can be called a bigger car, as such. External looks may suggest so, but certainly not inside. Its newer generation styling, but i guess thats about it.

IMO, all these are entry level sedans, and they fall in the same bracket.
Old 31st October 2008, 16:58   #311
BANNED

Quote:
Should get an invite - will keep you guys posted.
Do keep us posted about-
1. The pricing of both, the petrol and diesel variants (I'm interested in the petrol variant),
2. The newer features that the vehicle comes equipped with, and
3. Technical specs

@ben : Will be looking forward to your reviews on the vehicle as well!

Last edited by luvjascha : 31st October 2008 at 17:01.
Old 31st October 2008, 17:56   #312
Senior - BHPian

Panel Gap?

When the Fiesta was launched I thought that the front-end had severe fit and finish issues; that was mainly because of the panel gap between the bonnet and the front bumper (the version with the chromed grill acentuated this even more).

In the picture (the close-up one), look at the panel gap for the Bantam. What do you folks think, isn't it an eyesore?
Old 31st October 2008, 18:52   #313
Distinguished - BHPian

@Amartya, which specific section are you looking at ?

The bonnet is adjacent to both, the bumper & the head-lamps. A little extra gap is required between these parts, because when you shut the bonnet, the bonnet is going to travel a little beyond it's normal shut position before it comes to rest.
Old 31st October 2008, 19:46   #314
BHPian

The new ikon is going to be launched on november 5th

Last edited by team suzuki : 31st October 2008 at 19:48.
Old 3rd November 2008, 11:46   #315
BHPian

well Lathangi ford,bangalore just confirmed it will be on 10th nov. (diesel variant)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks