Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2023, 10:47   #2851
Senior - BHPian

Re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

The Shell fuel station in my area is erecting EV fast charging bays. I went inside and spoke to them, they said there will be seven bays. Two for cars, three for two wheelers and two for autos. It seems work is going on at a few more locations and all of them will be opened on the same day this month.
Attached Thumbnails
Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)-20230513_093643.jpg  

Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2023, 20:10   #2852
Senior - BHPian

I was, until recently, a patron of Shell - whenever I could! But the increasing difference in price between petrol from PSU pumps and Shell has slowly but steadily dissuaded me.

While my erstwhile two wheeler would exhibit an approximate 5% increase in fuel efficiency when run on normal Shell petrol, my car would do no such thing. But I must admit that both engines ran noticeably smoother.

Amidst questions about the sagacity of opting for Shell fuel in these inflationary times, I came across this text in a fellow Bhpian's travelogue.

Some fuel for thought indeed!
Attached Thumbnails
Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)-img_20230630_195821.jpg  

Old 30th June 2023, 21:06   #2853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
The Shell fuel station in my area is erecting EV fast charging bays. I went inside and spoke to them, they said there will be seven bays. Two for cars, three for two wheelers and two for autos. It seems work is going on at a few more locations and all of them will be opened on the same day this month.
Interesting! Where is this? Is this the one near Saravana Stores, Chromepet? I see a Tambaram Municipality water tanker in the background.
Old 30th June 2023, 22:08   #2854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsbhp View Post
Interesting! Where is this? Is this the one near Saravana Stores, Chromepet? I see a Tambaram Municipality water tanker in the background.
Yes. The chargers are ready but not commissioned. They are saying chargers are being erected at a few more stations across Chennai and all of them will be inaugurated on the same day, which is yet to be announced.
Old 12th July 2023, 17:30   #2855
Senior - BHPian

The facility is now open. I could not meet anyone in the office, but the fellow who filled petrol said the rate for fast charging is Rs 25 per unit. Two Ev cars, two Ev scooters and one Ev three wheeler can be charged at a time. I guess the two/three wheeler bays may be interchangeable.

The place also has an oil change facility and a store cum restaurant. And it is bang on GST Road.
Attached Thumbnails
Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)-20230712_094626.jpg  

Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)-20230712_094845.jpg  

Old 12th July 2023, 17:42   #2856
BHPian

Quote:

The place also has an oil change facility and a store cum restaurant. And it is bang on GST Road.
Great news, this will be my closest Shell.

Is the Shell Select store stocked up and open too? I mostly go to Shell for their store rather than fueling up nowadays.

Also the station is not showing up in Shell app yet, and not sure if they are gonna be open 24hrs.
Old 12th July 2023, 18:03   #2857
Senior - BHPian

I don't buy much there except engine oils (to be filled at my service centre), a few other car related things and snack items. I don't think it is a full fledged grocery store. The restaurant also serves quick "on the go" kind of food and coffee. The fuel station is open 24 hours though.

Surprising it doesn't show in their app. The place is one of the oldest Shell stations in Chennai, operating from 2007.

Last edited by Gansan : 12th July 2023 at 18:09.
Old 12th July 2023, 18:53   #2858
Senior - BHPian

I spotted Shell Recharge on the Radial Road outlet as well. Did not enter the pump, so not sure its operational yet.
Old 13th July 2023, 00:23   #2859
BHPian

Quote:

Surprising it doesn't show in their app. The place is one of the oldest Shell stations in Chennai, operating from 2007.
Apologies, looks like I missed the context of your post and the posts above yours.

I assumed this is the new Shell station on the GST Road near Guduvanchery. But reading your post and seeing the pictures again, I do see your post was about Chromepet which of course I'm very familiar with.

I had mistakenly misread your mention of the Shell Recharge stalls opening as the station opening of the Guduvanchery outlet which has been ready for some time now but not been opened yet.
Old 13th July 2023, 05:53   #2860
BHPian

While I have stopped filling fuel at Shell long ago due to the eye-watering prices, they were a Godsend recently.

I was heading back home from work the other day and it was pouring cats and dogs in the night. On the way back, one of my wiper blades snapped into two due to a broken clip (I somehow missed seeing this all these days). Luckily I was able to make it to the nearest Shell pump and buy a pair of wiper blades for my car. They also filled up the washer fluid with Shell screenwash and cleaned the windscreen.

I would've probably had a long and scary drive back but I'm glad that was not the case!
Sreesh1009 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 09:57   #2861
Senior - BHPian

I have stopped using shell fuel for almost a decade now as their price is always 10-20% more than that of trusted PSU(coco) pumps and honestly I haven't really found any major difference in quality or other aspects such as engine/ fuel economy etc. I am talking about the regular petrol/diesel and not the premium offerings which may be better(but are even more pricey !!)

Ironically, I have three shell outlets within few kms of my home(nearest one is hardly a km away) but I prefer filling from HP/Indian oil which are little more distance away.

Shell does have its own perks in case of emergency(two wheeler running on low fuel) or oil changes etc.

I do see the EV points too, might become handy in future if I switch to EV and require some urgent recharge.

I will not mind switching to shell fuel provided the price difference is falls below 10%. But will never be a fanboy since any good pump will be pretty close to Shell quality.
rajshenoy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 13:46   #2862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I will not mind switching to shell fuel provided the price difference is falls below 10%
With the latest price drop the difference between Shell fuel (Diesel) and OMC fuel is around Rs 4 and for petrol its Rs 10. Pls note that Shell fuel (the normal one) is also additivized.
Attached Thumbnails
Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)-shell-fuel-prices-bangalore.png  

Old 13th July 2023, 14:32   #2863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
With the latest price drop the difference between Shell fuel (Diesel) and OMC fuel is around Rs 4 and for petrol its Rs 10. Pls note that Shell fuel (the normal one) is also additivized.
May be their prices in different states are more normalised. Here in Bangalore, normal unleaded petrol is around 101 and shell is 114. Mostly fuel comes from MRPL Mangalore and I dont think there is any noticeable benefit for me personally as my vehicle is equally smooth and returns same economy when filled from a PSU pump
rajshenoy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 17:20   #2864
Senior - BHPian

Is anyone getting their car’s oil change done at Shell? If yes how’s the experience?
Old 13th July 2023, 19:00   #2865
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Whats funny about this pricing is that for the price of V power petrol, you could just fill Speed 97 which is technically a more advanced fuel. And unless you are filling from a shanty unused fuel station, there shouldnt be a concern on quality since these premium fuels are retailed by big stations and the sort of customer base they have is that with whom you would never miss with bad quality of fuel. Thats the logic I follow to keep away from Shell. Instead I fill XP95 on all vehicle or Xtragreen and enjoy the benefits which are quite obviously felt. I havent felt much of an improvement when I used to fill shell earlier, except for the placebo that its cleaner fuel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks