Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2023, 19:23   #2866
Senior - BHPian

Re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
With the latest price drop the difference between Shell fuel (Diesel) and OMC fuel is around Rs 4 and for petrol its Rs 10. Pls note that Shell fuel (the normal one) is also additivized.
They are running an offer of Rs 25 off per Rs 1000 spend, which further reduces the gap to around Rs.2 which is what it was when they first launched in Bangalore. I have found no difference with Shell or Nayara and would prefer Nayara as they are equal in cost to the usual PSU outlets.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 22:20   #2867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Thats the logic I follow to keep away from Shell. Instead I fill XP95 on all vehicle or Xtragreen and enjoy the benefits which are quite obviously felt. I havent felt much of an improvement when I used to fill shell earlier, except for the placebo that its cleaner fuel.
This is true. Shell Regular is not at all worth in my opinion and any improvements people see is a placebo.

But V-Power does make a good difference in both my car and scooter for me but the price is astronomical. I need to try higher RON fuels and see how they compare against V-Power for my car so can just avoid Shell and save some money.

Interestingly, my scooter literally gets new life with V-Power, probably because of the additives which helps with the poor and clogged carbeurator. So I fill up every 4th fill for my scooter nowadays with V-Power.
Yieldway17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2023, 16:45   #2868
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
new Shell station on the GST Road near Guduvanchery.
I think Shell Guduvancherry and SP Koil outlets are shelved. There is a new BP at Vallancherry that has already gone operational, but the Shell outlet is not. SP Koil outlet has a wall built in front.
Old 3rd September 2023, 21:37   #2869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yieldway17 View Post
new Shell station on the GST Road near Guduvanchery.
This Shell station is now open.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 22:58   #2870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
This Shell station is now open.
Thank you! This now becomes my nearest Shell outlet. I will visit sometime this week and see how the Shell Select store is stocked.
Old 20th September 2023, 00:40   #2871
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
With the latest price drop the difference between Shell fuel (Diesel) and OMC fuel is around Rs 4 and for petrol its Rs 10. Pls note that Shell fuel (the normal one) is also additivized.
All fuel sold in India is “additivised”.
Athani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 00:43   #2872
BHPian

Quote:
Whats funny about this pricing is that for the price of V power petrol, you could just fill Speed 97 which is technically a more advanced fuel. And unless you are filling from a shanty unused fuel station, there shouldnt be a concern on quality since these premium fuels are retailed by big stations and the sort of customer base they have is that with whom you would never miss with bad quality of fuel. Thats the logic I follow to keep away from Shell. Instead I fill XP95 on all vehicle or Xtragreen and enjoy the benefits which are quite obviously felt. I havent felt much of an improvement when I used to fill shell earlier, except for the placebo that its cleaner fuel.
High octane fuel is not a substitute for fuel with special additives. And any benefits you’re feeling of using high octane fuel are in your head only.
Athani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2023, 08:24   #2873
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athani View Post
High octane fuel is not a substitute for fuel with special additives. And any benefits you’re feeling of using high octane fuel are in your head only.
Why on earth would a car that needs to be driven with RON95 work better with RON91 with any additive. Compared to using Shell fuel, any higher octane fuel on any of my vehicles whether it needs 95 or 91 runs smoother, revvs freely and in case of my TSI 91 never goes well with the engine acting very lazy. Perhaps you should experience and experiment better next time before calling it placebo.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 03:00   #2874
BHPian

Quote:
Why on earth would a car that needs to be driven with RON95 work better with RON91 with any additive. Compared to using Shell fuel, any higher octane fuel on any of my vehicles whether it needs 95 or 91 runs smoother, revvs freely and in case of my TSI 91 never goes well with the engine acting very lazy. Perhaps you should experience and experiment better next time before calling it placebo.
The “car that needs to be driven with RON95” bit was not in your original post.
Old 21st September 2023, 08:52   #2875
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athani View Post
The “car that needs to be driven with RON95” bit was not in your original post.
My earlier post was considering all the vehicles at home and both XP95 and Xtragreen diesel v/s Shell super or diesel. Since there was additional example needed to justify why petrol with additives is not a better idea compared to petrol at higher RON I mentioned about the TSI engine needing 95. Apart from this I have used 95 on other vehicles which didn’t have specific RON needs - Ninja 300, Honda Dio, SX4 petrol, Celerio and all these have noticeable changes. Shell was my choice earlier but the differences were minimal compared to XP95. The engine might run cleaner but performance wise there was not much change.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 10:17   #2876
BHPian

Hi. I have started using Shell recently. Not sure if the premium of 12 Rs/liter is worth it though. What we are paying is for purity, exact amount of fuel and good service.

There is only one COCO in Pune which is near the RTO. Rest all are privately run and I am not sure of their quality and quantity.

Other option I use is Eway pumps which are COCO except the IOCL pump near Khalapur. I always have lower mileage when I fill there and I would avoid that.
Old 21st September 2023, 10:25   #2877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post

There is only one COCO in Pune which is near the RTO. Rest all are privately run and I am not sure of their quality and quantity.
I too had been using Shell until the price gap became too much. Recently they had reduced the prices that bridged the gap especially along the highways. I have been filling fuel from Autolines for the last 18 years or so without any issue so far. This is an HP Pump near the FC road/Agriculture university junction (on the left side when you go from Shivaji Nagar towards university, after crossing the FC road signal). I also use Shell if the price gap is around 2-3 rupees.
Old 21st September 2023, 10:44   #2878
BHPian

I still wonder why Shell India doesn't make their premium petrol RON 95 or more. I feel that they are missing the bus here. With BS VIA vehicles which have a recommended level of RON95 or more, the market is there. I like the way IOCL has has launched XP95 and also the branding of the dispenser with a different color.

I have switched to XP95 for couple of years and this branding has helped to locate the pumps easily.
nagarjun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2023, 14:39   #2879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
I too had been using Shell until the price gap became too much. Recently they had reduced the prices that bridged the gap especially along the highways. I have been filling fuel from Autolines for the last 18 years or so without any issue so far. This is an HP Pump near the FC road/Agriculture university junction (on the left side when you go from Shivaji Nagar towards university, after crossing the FC road signal). I also use Shell if the price gap is around 2-3 rupees.
Thanks. Unfortunately Autolines is pretty far from where I stay (near highway, Sadanad). I work in Mumbai and am in Pune on weekends. So I prefer the Shell pumps at Wakad or the COCO on highway. I guess I will have to plan my fuel top ups at the COCO since the price gap is too high.
Old 27th September 2023, 12:39   #2880
BHPian

Looks like Shell's latest price sheet was out today

Price hasn't changed a whole lot (atleast in Bangalore)

With the 14 rupee premium it commands over PSU petrol, curious if other folks are seeing the mileage advantage in Shell to compensate for the price difference.

I personally do, Shell gives me ~1.5-2kmpl more than what I got from normal IOC petrol. However, I must admit the sample size is small (car odo is at 3.5k), and the IOC fill was before first service - so is perhaps not a fair comparison.

Not sure if it's placebo or not, but I have noticed Shell gives a very planted, spirited feel. I did a tank-full of XP95 too, which was noticeably better than normal petrol and my ride pulled better - mileage was quite mediocre though and the sparse availability of XP95 where I live made me switch to Shell.

I largely stick with Shell purely for the customer service, their in-store offerings which come in handy and for the peace of mind that I am not getting swindled.

Recently, a family member, also a longtime shell user, switched to normal petrol and got an IOC credit card which gives significant savings over the premium Shell charges - so I am back to square one where I am evaluating if Shell really is worth it from ROI standpoint. Will perhaps do a tank-to-tank of PSU and Shell petrol and make my decision. But curious if there are other mechanical benefits to the car that users have noticed in Shell that makes it worth it? (apart from visible benefits like customer service, quality etc)

Thanks
SutilSapien is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks