Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2022, 17:40   #2836
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)

Looks like Shell has started EV charging points at their outlets. Saw a board outside the Shell bunk on Kanakapura Road, opp the Yelachenahalli Metro station. IIRC, 6 bays.

Possible new start where-in the Fuel stations can also support EV charging and this will be a big boon for EV car users when travelling out of city.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 23:06   #2837
BHPian

Shell's prices are still exorbitant. Brent crude has not been that expensive for a while now (80$/barrel on 13 Dec) , so I don't see the justification for the selling price remaining this high.
Attached Thumbnails
Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)-screenshot-20221213-11.04.57-pm.png  

ohaak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 09:05   #2838
Distinguished - BHPian

From what I read, the Government has put a hold on fuel price hike. The PSU oil companies are making some losses at the current selling price but they are controlled by the Government.

The price by Shell/Nayara might be the actual price at which to sell fuel and make profits.

What baffles me is the good number of people who still queue up to fill at shell. Either they do not care about high price or extremely loyal to Shell
Old 14th December 2022, 09:32   #2839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaak View Post
Shell's prices are still exorbitant. Brent crude has not been that expensive for a while now (80$/barrel on 13 Dec) , so I don't see the justification for the selling price remaining this high.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
What baffles me is the good number of people who still queue up to fill at shell. Either they do not care about high price or extremely loyal to Shell
This is what Shell did about 7 or 8 years ago and ended up swatting flies. Then they reduced to almost the same prices as others and gained their business again. But again they have gone back to those 'premium' prices!.

Reason why still people queue up at Shell? Because you feel it is absolutely worth it. Makes no impact to the fuel economy but that smoothness of the engine as soon as you exit a Shell bunk is too tempting to ignore. I just filled at Shell on my Unicorn after about 5 or 6 years and the engine has suddenly taken on a new Avatar . And this is with normal petrol, not the V-power one. Rs 10 for every liter, I have decided to swallow .

Diesel is another story altogether as the price is around Rs 30 more!.
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 11:56   #2840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post

Diesel is another story altogether as the price is around Rs 30 more!.
That corresponds to me having to pay close to 1.9 k INR more, considering my Gurkha has a 63L fuel tank (30Rs/Lx63L). I think I might just stick to normal Diesel from COCO fuel station.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 12:21   #2841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
From what I read, the Government has put a hold on fuel price hike. The PSU oil companies are making some losses at the current selling price but they are controlled by the Government.

The price by Shell/Nayara might be the actual price at which to sell fuel and make profits.

I had been a loyal Shell customer for the past 4-5 years. There will be points added to your account and also there were some discounts.

I was filling V-Power petrol till last year. Sometimes I used to blend both Normal Shell petrol & V-Power to get the best of both types of fuel.

But this year I went to Normal petrol from Shell as the price increase was too much since the Russia-Ukraine war.
With the normal shell petrol I was observing less power and more of air intake by the engine which was not there in V-Power, this could be due to more ethanol blending also.

Now for the past 3 months I have been filling with XP95 petrol from Indian Oil. Now for the normal Shell petrol price I am getting the same power & smoothness of Shell V-Power petrol.
bobbyblr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2022, 22:06   #2842
BHPian

A new Shell Bunk is opening shortly at Saki Naka, Mumbai. Work is almost complete, should open any day now.
Location: https://www.google.com/maps/place/19...2.8874835,19z/

Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)-img_3747.jpg
Old 16th January 2023, 17:10   #2843
BHPian

Does anyone know the Octane rating of the shell petrol in India?
The shell india website does not talk about it, neither for regular petrol nor for V-Power. The Shell UK website says V-Power petrol is 99RON and regular unleaded is 95 RON. But I am not sure if we can take it as it is for the fuel sold in India.

https://support.shell.com/hc/en-gb/a...hat-is-Octane-
Old 16th January 2023, 19:51   #2844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagarjun View Post
Does anyone know the Octane rating of the shell petrol in India?
The shell india website does not talk about it, neither for regular petrol nor for V-Power. The Shell UK website says V-Power petrol is 99RON and regular unleaded is 95 RON. But I am not sure if we can take it as it is for the fuel sold in India.

https://support.shell.com/hc/en-gb/a...hat-is-Octane-
Wrote to the customer care and got a response that both the Unleaded Petrol and the V-Power petrol are with RON 91.
So IOCL seems to be only credible and widely available option if you are looking for RON 95 petrol.
nagarjun is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 13:31   #2845
BHPian

If Shell management is reading this thread, we are hoping that your network in India get an necessary expansion. Please do not be under the assumption that cost will hinder enthusiasts from buying the "premium" fuel.

It baffles me to see such miniscule presence in a country which now is the world's no 3 largest automotive market, while the neighboring economy is flooded with your stations
Attached Thumbnails
Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)-captu222re.jpg  

Ashutosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 14:02   #2846
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashutosh View Post
If Shell management is reading this thread, we are hoping that your network in India get an necessary expansion. Please do not be under the assumption that cost will hinder enthusiasts from buying the "premium" fuel.

It baffles me to see such miniscule presence in a country which now is the world's no 3 largest automotive market, while the neighboring economy is flooded with your stations
Isnt it also due to the fact that private companies like Shell or Essar cant compete with the PSU oil companies when crude prices cross a certain limit and end up burning themselves in losses? Few months ago the PSUs were forced to control petrol prices at the ~100 mark whereas the actual break even price was 120+ which Shell sold, which obviously eroded whatever business they had. Even right now, Shell charges a considerable premium and bunks show a sad state compared to before and I believe their shop and cafe would what draw customers.

On the other hand, they still sell the same RON91 fuel and the V power premium is nothing but cleaning additives. For the price you pay for Shell normal petrol, you can fill up XP95 and for the price of V Power petrol you can fill up Speed 97, both of which would give solid results on vehicles and are technically superior. And the PSU bunks are fast catching up with newer bunks, more automation and facilities. Over the last five years I have never faced an issue with IOC or BP fuels or bunks even though I was a staunch Shell user before that. Now I fill up XP95 or Xtragreen on all my vehicles and there is a vast difference compared to before.

Similarly, instead of Shell Diesel which is already a rip off one can fill up Xtragreen which is again a superior fuel. Hence, if at all shell can even sustain its current business in our country, I would be surprised forget expansion.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 22:30   #2847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashutosh View Post

Sorry to rain on your parade sir! In a country with 130 cr population, enthuisaist's are the least of shell's hope! This is a business of simple economics which shell will never master in our subcontinent sadly.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 11:37   #2848
Senior - BHPian

Took this pic today in the Shell fuel station in my area. I was surprised to see even normal diesel is more expensive than Vpower petrol. VPower diesel is eleven rupees more than VPower petrol! What could be the reason?
Attached Thumbnails
Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)-20230312_095528.jpg  

Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 12:47   #2849
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Took this pic today in the Shell fuel station in my area. I was surprised to see even normal diesel is more expensive than Vpower petrol. VPower diesel is eleven rupees more than VPower petrol! What could be the reason?
International price of HSD is more than petrol in developed markets as well as in the Indian crude basket. IOC's are suppressing the diesel prices by keeping price in check in lieu of government pressure due to inflationary cause. Shell being an MNC have to go by fair price on fuel. Moreover, shell also purchase refined fuel by IOCL or Reliance and are charged similar to export rates.
Old 1st May 2023, 14:53   #2850
Senior - BHPian

Shell fuel pricing wef 1st May 2023. Visit to the nearest shell petrol pump will confirm the latest prices in the respective cities.
Attached Thumbnails
Shell in India (fuel, lubes, outlets)-shell-fuel-pricing.png  

ghodlur is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks