Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2008, 21:12   #151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Went for a preview today. Looks feature loaded but still Civic is going to be the segment leader. Civic interiors have more wow factor and the design still looks very contemporary and shapely.
1.8G - 1095000/-
If this prices are right (and i hope it is) - i doubt if Civic will still remain the segment leader. The Civic E @ 11L doesnt have many of these features - and the Altis looks like a better deal. Agreed the Civic looks good, but will that be enough to justify a premium? I don't think so.

On a side note, now we can be reasonably assured that the new City top end should be around 10L or less.
Old 25th August 2008, 01:07   #152
BHPian

didn't like the wood finish , didn't like the Grey and certainly didn't like the fact that the speedo / tacho pod looks like an add-on to the dashboard. It doesn't look integrated or streamlined with the center console or the dash on a whole .Whats with the Grey and wood finish collage type Steering wheel!

They need to decide if the car exudes luxury or sportiness in its interiors.This is where Honda trumps on a customer's visual experience. Accessories and add-ons can be good, but if the customer ends up visiting a Honda showroom the same day , his visual appeal experience once inside the car could alter his preferences. Exterior is definitely better than CIVIC .
Old 25th August 2008, 01:17   #153
Team-BHP Support

Wow toyota going all out with the features on the Corolla. Some of the features like HID, Multi info display, headlamp washers, electro chromatic mirrors, steering mounted audio controls are not even there on the Honda accord.

If the corolla is priced at 15L on road and has all these features over the accord then wow, kudos to Toyota. Back with a bang.
Old 25th August 2008, 09:46   #154
BHPian

Corolla looks good and is a more practical alternative for the Civic.
Though Civic is futuristic but with Indian road conditions and better ground clearance Corolla makes a more sensible choice.
FE is the same and price would also be be more or less same.
Lets see how it fares !!
Old 25th August 2008, 09:58   #155
BHPian

went for the new corolla altis preview yesterday at a toyota dealer in south delhi , was about to buy the jetta but now in two minds .Funnily was not allowed to take pics (some top secret mission or something ).The car looks good , interiors are loaded as well but plain looking . The problem with the civic is that it is so low , me and my dad are above 6ft had a problem getting in and out and pulled out at the last moment and had a city instead.The corolla altis is certainly not exciting as the civic , but appeals to corporate types & that is why it will sell . We are looking at a jetta trendline diesel (petrol is rubbish) , at 15.45 its not as loaded as the altis & has grey interiors but somehow has that german solid feel and looks quite good , infact it was getting the looks when i took it for a test drive (had no test drive sticker on it ) in around lajpat nagar.No test drive yet on the corolla altis , so waiting for that , however there is the gorgeous linea also coming so waiting for that. The point is the corolla looks good but the main appeal lies in its features & slightly VFM price . hopefully its as good to drive aswell.
Old 25th August 2008, 10:25   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

I am pretty much satisfied with everything in the Altis including the pricing mentioned here.
But the rear end looks are a let down, the tail lamps look too similar to the previous version and rather boring !

Hope it holds the line better than its other jap rivals and delivers good FE.

I fail to understand why they wouldn't put projectors to deliver best results out of the HIDs? If i'm not mistaken even the camry has HIDs without projectors.
Old 25th August 2008, 10:47   #157
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post

I fail to understand why they wouldn't put projectors to deliver best results out of the HIDs? If i'm not mistaken even the camry has HIDs without projectors.
no. the camry does have projectors. and the bulbs looked a bit different in the corolla so maybe it wont be a problem without the projectors.
Old 25th August 2008, 10:52   #158
Senior - BHPian

Company has claimed FE of 15.9 km/lt under ideal conditions, which is very good. Dealer saying that it will give better FE then the previous generation as the engine is more refined and body more aerodynamic, plus the EPS. So practically around 13 km/lt.

Price looks good but not best, now Honda will show their cards. They will certainly come up with better Civic soon, they have to. To crush that and make Corolla a true winner in India they should give attractive maintenance schemes and warranties like Jetta, because all these features would be very expensive to repair.

I am going to book my altis as soon as I am satisfied with test drive any suggestion for color? Will go for top end manual.
Old 25th August 2008, 11:45   #159
BANNED

went for the preview in bombay yesterday. the red corolla looks hot. power seats are amazing for the prize. cruise control kicks ***. the trip gears are also cool. the only downside i see to the car is 4 speed auto. how advanced are these. lets say if a person has to buy a auto for under 15 laks. which is better buy engine wise as of now. civic or the corolla ??? worried about the average bit of the car, not digging 4speed auto... but a very very nice car for sure. prices were 11+, 12+, 13+ for top line which is great
Old 25th August 2008, 12:17   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Company has claimed FE of 15.9 km/lt under ideal conditions, which is very good. Dealer saying that it will give better FE then the previous generation as the engine is more refined and body more aerodynamic, plus the EPS. So practically around 13 km/lt.
typical dealer claims

Its a reasonable size sedan and we can probably expect ~10kmpl in city and around 14kmpl in highway. when i mean city i mean crowded cities like Bangalore/Delhi/Mumbai.
Old 25th August 2008, 12:29   #161
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
went for the preview in bombay yesterday. the red corolla looks hot. power seats are amazing for the prize. cruise control kicks ***. the trip gears are also cool. the only downside i see to the car is 4 speed auto. how advanced are these. lets say if a person has to buy a auto for under 15 laks. which is better buy engine wise as of now. civic or the corolla ??? worried about the average bit of the car, not digging 4speed auto... but a very very nice car for sure. prices were 11+, 12+, 13+ for top line which is great
4 speed may seem bad compared to the Civic's 5 speed and Laura/Jetta 6 speed but I'm not finding it that bad.

I drove a 4 speed 2.4L 177bhp chrysler and am now driving a 3.0L V6 Ford Fusion which is also 4 speed.

Come to think of it all these huge american cars Chrysler 300C, Chevy Malibu are 4 speed.

Only thing I see is mileage will take a hit. No doubt the hondas tranny is better. I would go for the Manual corolla.
Old 25th August 2008, 12:37   #162
BHPian

the corolla even with the 4 speed auto managed to get better milages than the civic any day , so it's not going to be a problem and those who have driven the new Camry would know that the 4 speed in the corolla is far far better , and the shift times felt lower on the corolla than the civic , also the rollons felt faster
Old 25th August 2008, 13:00   #163
Senior - BHPian

Seems like that my assumption about the Altis (when I was buying Corolla in 3/07, and had estimated that the new one wont come till 2008) was right. Over the past 2 days, I have 2 sales call from Toyota dealers from Delhi informing me about the new one (as if I did not know) and asking if I could exchange my Corolla!. Why should I do that: The present one is only 18 months old, and Toyota is not known for making cars that breakup soon.

I shall give this the pass, and go for the next generation. I bought into the last generation, and ownership cycle (5-6 years) would lead to 2013 for the new car. At that time, I do not want to buy a soon to be phased out Altis.
Old 25th August 2008, 13:06   #164
Senior - BHPian

The US EPA has posted the gas mileage for new Corolla. In mpg, it is 27/35 for auto, and 26/35 for manual. Multiply by 0.4251 to get kmpl. Knowing Indian road conditions and on my experience, I would say US city figures (around 11.5) would be India's highway figures. I do get around 10.8 overall on Corolla AT, though lately it has gone down because of rains, potholes, and perpetual traffic jams.
Old 25th August 2008, 13:40   #165
BHPian

Rear A/C vents?

Looks like there are no rear A/C vents.. What is the performance like in the current Corolla in hot sunny situations - especially for the rear seat passengers?

I hate the wood finish.. I wish they have a non-beige option for leather seats!

Last edited by rangaraj : 25th August 2008 at 13:42.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks