Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2008, 22:10   #91
Senior - BHPian

its an ingenio for sure. look at the mirrors, they are from the scorpio...

Last edited by raj_5004 : 10th June 2008 at 22:12.
Old 11th June 2008, 12:23   #92
Senior - BHPian

Saw this car twice near LT powai. pretty oddly camoflagued and a smoking driver.
Seems so much like the ingenio
Old 14th June 2008, 13:27   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor View Post
hi guys , on my way topune a vehicle covered in black cloth zoomed past by me on the pune expressway,i was in a swift diesel with my friend , we tailed this vehicle which was cruising at speeds around 160 km/hr,on the toll naka the vehicle got stuck in the traffic and here was the chance to take pics of this vehicle ,pardon the poor quality its taken from a mobile camera.
any one nows what make nad model this vehicle is- thanks.

PS: did not know where to post so picked this thread .
IMHO Looks like a Tavera, May be they are testing out a newer engine with a slight Face-lift! The GC and the length suggest the same; If this is a Tata Ingenio, well good luck! aggressive pricing, responsive engine might get this home!

PS: May be this fills the gap created by the absence of the toyota Qualis.
Old 11th July 2008, 12:01   #94
BHPian

Guys any news on this, It was supposed to be launched in late summer 08, I guess the summer is gone and monsoon has set in yet no sign of this vehicle.

Somebody tells me beneath these rags (camouflague) lies a stunner, has anyone seen in without the clothes on, can anyone confirm if it is a stunner and also a possible launch date. Cyrus or Sameel may be you can help.
Old 11th July 2008, 17:53   #95
BHPian

From those comments from Sameel, I feel Mahindra has another winner that is going to smoothly and neatly fill the gap (reasonably priced and reliable UV) left by Qualis. Expect the launch around Diwali hopefully. Mahindra learnt the art of making reliable vehicles which no other indian indigenous vehicle maker could do! Innovas will disappear completely out of the picture and M&M will be all over the 5lakhs+ to 11lakhs range! Already Bolero is the highest selling UV, then Scorpios like ants, you see them everywhere! Now this Ingenio. Kudos M&M.

Last edited by sgmuser : 11th July 2008 at 17:54.
Old 12th July 2008, 12:38   #96
BHPian

Maverick: Ingenio is a Mahindra product dost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_x1 View Post
IMHO Looks like a Tavera, May be they are testing out a newer engine with a slight Face-lift! The GC and the length suggest the same; If this is a Tata Ingenio, well good luck! aggressive pricing, responsive engine might get this home!

PS: May be this fills the gap created by the absence of the toyota Qualis.
Old 14th July 2008, 10:32   #97
BHPian

Update

I got a chance to speak to the driver of one of these vehicles. Some of the information I got.
1 - It uses the engine from the older Scorpio (i.e. not the new aluminium mHawk engine)
2 - It's good good power response.
3 - 'bahut jaldi nikalne wala hai'!

My own impressions were
- It looks more like something to compete with the Tavera / Qualis / Sumo than a luxury SUV.
- The dashboard and interiors are better than the vehicles in the budget SUV/people-mover market segment, but do not hold a candle to the Scorpio/Innova/Safari.
-The dashboard features some electronic instrumentation, but it is not located on the dashboard per-se, but above the front-center a/c vents. This driver was very friendly and was willing to talk about and show off the car, but unfortunately, the electronic instrumentation was not working at the time.
- The wheels are very small and the ground-clearance is also on the lower side. They are somewhat smaller than what they appear to be in the photos. However, they are quite wide treaded.
- The car was on a weight test, with tanks of water on each seat to approximate a full load of 7 passengers. Despite this, the rear suspension was not hanging down as much as one would expect.
- Those black canvas smocks do a very good job of camoflaging the design. Not only do they cover up the details, but when you are really close, you can see that they incorporate large, strategically-placed pockets filled with newspaper and thermocol pellets to completely break up the shape of the car. I 'm speculating that the car will look much sleeker (and less overweight) when the covers are off).

DISCLAIMER: While I love cars (and especially bikes), these are just the impressions of an non-technical person.

Hope this helps!
Old 14th July 2008, 12:38   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivtho View Post
- It looks more like something to compete with the Tavera / Qualis / Sumo than a luxury SUV.
Maybe the camuflaging was responsible for this? From what M&M are saying, they are targeting the Innova so the vehicle should look better once it's publicly revealed.

Quote:
The dashboard and interiors are better than the vehicles in the budget SUV/people-mover market segment, but do not hold a candle to the Scorpio/Innova/Safari.
Again this could be because the dash is not production ready but probably a prototype.

Quote:
The dashboard features some electronic instrumentation, but it is not located on the dashboard per-se, but above the front-center a/c vents.
Probably this was the databank to log information on how the vehicle behaves under different circumstances, driving styles, road surfaces etc. so the engineers can fine tune the car.
Old 14th July 2008, 14:45   #99
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Great initial impressions, Vivtho. Your note makes it even more obvious that Mahindra is targetting the people-mover UV segment with the Ingenio. The Bolero definitely needs a modern sister, this could fill up the void left by the Qualis perhaps?

Quote:
- The car was on a weight test, with tanks of water on each seat to approximate a full load of 7 passengers.
Man, you learn something new every day.
Old 14th July 2008, 17:34   #100
BHPian

Guys again I am telling you this, somebody told me it is a stunner and especially the grill its supposed to look very mean unlike the sedate Innova. And it has to be the 2.2 L mhawk engine, the engine was developed for Ingenio and more so because they will be pitching it directly against the 6.5 lakh Sumo Grande which has a 2.2 L engine.
Old 19th July 2008, 01:23   #101
Senior - BHPian

Scoop! New Mahindra SUV caught testing in Pune!

Note from Mod : Threads merged.

Team,

Last week, my wife and I were on our way to our weekly drive to Lonavala. We were about 10 Km away from the expressway. A fully cloth-covered SUV zoomed past us and raced ahead.

I immediately gave chase and at one time, I was following the vehicle at 115 km/hr. Soon the mystery vehicle pulled into a diesel pump. I promptly pulled up behind it. I took a snap of the car with my mobile. Seeing this, the test driver and his companion climbed out of the mystery car and came up to my side and started to threaten me. They told me that I have to delete the pics immediately from my mobile and that photography was 'not allowed'!

I did not like the way they spoke to me! Hearing some abuse words, I lost my cool. I removed my watch, gave it to my stunned wife and got out! I was ready to beat the hell out of those guys!!!

They did not expect me to do this and changed their stand and started pleading with me. I took a few more pics with my mobile. Finally the driver told me that it was a Mahindra vehicle and it would be released soon.

Any idea which model this is?

Mahindra Ingenio -Officially announced as XYLO EDIT: Celebration Edition on Page 60-mystery-vehicle.jpg

Mahindra Ingenio -Officially announced as XYLO EDIT: Celebration Edition on Page 60-mystery-vehicle-2.jpg

Mahindra Ingenio -Officially announced as XYLO EDIT: Celebration Edition on Page 60-mystery-vehicle-3.jpg

Mahindra Ingenio -Officially announced as XYLO EDIT: Celebration Edition on Page 60-mystery-vehicle-4.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th July 2008 at 04:36. Reason: Photos watermarked.
Old 19th July 2008, 01:32   #102
Senior - BHPian

i think its called Ingenio.
Old 19th July 2008, 01:41   #103
BHPian

Very nice scoop.
This looks like a minivan,hope this will bring down the sales numbers of Innova.

Last edited by Superleggera : 19th July 2008 at 01:45.
Old 19th July 2008, 01:48   #104
BHPian

Mahindra Ingenio, disguised. The car is said to be a MUV which is going to rival the Toyota Innova. Its going to be launched soon and extensive testing is going on. Its going to have a 2.2L mHawk engine from the Scorpio. Its said to replace the Bolero and will be quite well priced.
Old 19th July 2008, 01:50   #105
Senior - BHPian

The vehicle's dashboard was very attractive. There is a digital clock on the dash.

Please see pic no:3. I could see the full interior. Theere were captain seats and the upholstery was beige in colour, with cloth covers! But sadly my pic was shaken, when those guys tried to stop me!

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 19th July 2008 at 01:52.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks