Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2012, 22:20   #2371
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

CNG reaching the diesel territory - Almost Rs. 36/kg

CNG price raised by up to Rs 1.90/kg in Delhi, adjoining areas - The Economic Times
Old 6th March 2012, 15:22   #2372
Senior - BHPian

Time to tank up AGAIN!

Oil cos to ask ministry for petrol price hike: Sources - CNBC-TV18 -
Old 6th March 2012, 15:30   #2373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Time to tank up AGAIN!
I have never understood the logic behind getting the tank full prior to a price rise, I have seen huge commotion on Petrol pumps on a night before of price hike.

What kind of money one saves by getting a tank full, lets say the tank size of your car is around 40 Ltrs, you already have around 5 ltrs. So in case of hike of 2 rs/ltr. You will end up saving around 70 bucks, I am pretty sure one usually end up burning almost same kind of fuel while standing in those long ques.

I feel one should resort to better way of saving money.
BANDHAV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2012, 15:32   #2374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
poor things .. loosing so much money. Why do they bear so much pain ?? Can someone please explain ?

Quote:
Pushing for the hike, oil companies had said they were losing Rs 1.50 per litre on petrol and after including local levies, the desired increase in retail prices was Rs 1.82 per litre.
Old 6th March 2012, 15:34   #2375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
I have never understood the logic behind getting the tank full prior to a price rise, I have seen huge commotion on Petrol pumps on a night before of price hike.
I believe in the Mantra " Money Saved is Money earned " . On a serious note both my cars run on petrol so let me enjoy filling them at these low levels
Old 7th March 2012, 02:11   #2376
BHPian

With the BJP sweeping the polls in Goa on Tuesday, I am keenly awaiting the implementation of one of its poll pledges: Reduction of petrol prices to Rs 55. Yes, you read it right, Rs 55 per litre! The BJP has promised to do away with the VAT and claims that it is possible to price petrol here in Goa for Rs 55 per litre.

It that happens, I'll have yet another reason to love staying here in Goa.

Last edited by misquitas : 7th March 2012 at 02:13.
Old 7th March 2012, 07:39   #2377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post

What kind of money one saves by getting a tank full, lets say the tank size of your car is around 40 Ltrs, you already have around 5 ltrs. So in case of hike of 2 rs/ltr. You will end up saving around 70 bucks, I am pretty sure one usually end up burning almost same kind of fuel while standing in those long ques.

I feel one should resort to better way of saving money.
+1 to that. This would be very apt if the price hike would have been moderate say in the range of 1-2 rs. But I could see yesterday all the news channels flashing the imminent petrol price hike in the order of Rs 5 which if in case would be beneficial to get the tank full before the price hike comes into effect. For the same eg as above the savings would be a min 200 bucks which is substantial.
How I wish the municipal corporation in my city would do away with the Octroi + other taxes which jacks the price by almost Rs 6/- for a Rs 5 hike elsewhere then.
Old 7th March 2012, 15:16   #2378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Reduction of petrol prices to Rs 55. Yes, you read it right, Rs 55 per litre!
Rs 55 per litre This when the rest of the country will be paying Rs 80 if the price hike gets through.
You just found a reason to love Goa and me to hate Bangalore
karty_83 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2012, 15:42   #2379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
+1 to that. This would be very apt if the price hike would have been moderate say in the range of 1-2 rs. But I could see yesterday all the news channels flashing the imminent petrol price hike in the order of Rs 5 which if in case would be beneficial to get the tank full before the price hike comes into effect. For the same eg as above the savings would be a min 200 bucks which is substantial.
How I wish the municipal corporation in my city would do away with the Octroi + other taxes which jacks the price by almost Rs 6/- for a Rs 5 hike elsewhere then.
I agree with you, but again if the price hike is this steep, that would mean more longer ques and more waiting time, that will turn the equation against you as not only would you burn fuel in long ques but also calculate the time wasted in terms of money. Apart for all this traffic would become chaotic. I think govt in case they plan to hike should announce this without leaking it via media. This way at least traffic chaos can be avoided across the nation, and if one has to calculate the wastage of fuel because of these huge waiting lines at bunks and traffic congestion's then fuel loss would be immense.
Old 7th March 2012, 15:55   #2380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur
+1 to that. I usually fill fuel in my cars in Mumbai, unless the fuel levels are dangerously low(quite rare)
OT: Also Thane is flanked by toll booths on all sides except to vashi, making it quite expensive to drive in and out.
Old 7th March 2012, 18:11   #2381
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
With the BJP sweeping the polls in Goa on Tuesday, I am keenly awaiting the implementation of one of its poll pledges: Reduction of petrol prices to Rs 55. Yes, you read it right, Rs 55 per litre! The BJP has promised to do away with the VAT and claims that it is possible to price petrol here in Goa for Rs 55 per litre.

It that happens, I'll have yet another reason to love staying here in Goa.
But in the end they would increase taxes on something else that you buy and eventually you will pay whatever you are paying now. No Govt. specially newly elected one will wish to reduce its revenue. After all this is the time for them to start making some money from all that mining etc.
Old 7th March 2012, 18:32   #2382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
But in the end they would increase taxes on something else that you buy and eventually you will pay whatever you are paying now.
Well there are certain commodities that hurt when you are paying beyond a certain point and Petrol is definitely one such commodity. Even if the overall money spent is the same, there is a lot more peace of mind with fuel prices back in the 50's.
I hope this initiative is taken across other cities as well.
Old 7th March 2012, 19:05   #2383
BHPian

Well i certainly remember, that last year before the government elections, the petrol prices out in mumbai had dropped to Rs 44 a litre, and post elections within a year, they have shot upto Rs 70.
Old 9th March 2012, 07:22   #2384
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Read in the newspapers yesterday:
Now that the elections in 5 states are over, the government is considering a petrol price hike (very soon) of approximately Rs.4.50-Rs.5 a litre ! Again, this is only for Petrol, they want to leave LPG, Diesel, etc untouched
Here's a link that also discusses the topic:
Oil cos want petrol price hiked by Rs 5/litre - Rediff.com Business

Last edited by NPV : 9th March 2012 at 07:25.
Old 9th March 2012, 09:55   #2385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Read in the newspapers yesterday:
Now that the elections in 5 states are over, the government is considering a petrol price hike (very soon) of approximately Rs.4.50-Rs.5 a litre ! Again, this is only for Petrol, they want to leave LPG, Diesel, etc untouched
Here's a link that also discusses the topic:
Oil cos want petrol price hiked by Rs 5/litre - Rediff.com Business
They will not raise Diesel give UPA's rocky relationship with Mamtadidi. She can rock their boat on that issue.

On the side note, looks like Petrol prices will touch 100 before Sachin scores his elusive ton

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks