Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2012, 11:45   #2386
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Probably I will go to Goa everytime to tank up, a good reason to visit that lovely state.

On a more serious note, Govt. should reduce the tax(if not fully remove it).
Yesterday I tanked up my bike with 13 odd lts of petrol even if I had 5 lts already.
Old 9th March 2012, 12:07   #2387
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Read in the newspapers yesterday:
Now that the elections in 5 states are over, the government is considering a petrol price hike (very soon) of approximately Rs.4.50-Rs.5 a litre ! Again, this is only for Petrol, they want to leave LPG, Diesel, etc untouched
Not exactly. Diesel will be touched only after the Budget Session, since they do not want Mamta to run off firing on all cylinders. Any big reforms seem to off the Radar.

Diesel under-recovery is about Rs.12. I will expect the rise in Dlesel to be done in two or three tranches, since it seems to be finally getting into their woolly heads that the so called subsidies are counter productive. LPG and Kerosene are bigger sacred cows.
Old 9th March 2012, 18:02   #2388
BHPian

Quote:
Read in the newspapers yesterday:
Now that the elections in 5 states are over, the government is considering a petrol price hike (very soon) of approximately Rs.4.50-Rs.5 a litre ! Again, this is only for Petrol, they want to leave LPG, Diesel, etc untouched
Here's a link that also discusses the topic:
Oil cos want petrol price hiked by Rs 5/litre - Rediff.com Business
Not sure if the fuel price hike will come through now, after the declaration of poll results. The Congress party has not done well and a part of the reason is said to be with the ever-increasing inflation. Hence I suppose now the Congress government will be extra careful with regard to price hikes. Gone are the cocky, brash swagger in carefree price rises.
Old 9th March 2012, 21:54   #2389
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by murillo View Post
Not sure if the fuel price hike will come through now, after the declaration of poll results. The Congress party has not done well and a part of the reason is said to be with the ever-increasing inflation. Hence I suppose now the Congress government will be extra careful with regard to price hikes. Gone are the cocky, brash swagger in carefree price rises.
I really hope the poll results and pressure from mamta and others will prevent another "petrol only" hike, keeping my fingers crossed.
These "petrol only" hikes are just a means to procrastinate taking the hard decisions - the real problem lies with pricing of Diesel, LPG, etc - when will they wake up to that fact and take the right decision ?
On a lighter note, as @C300 has mentioned, let's see who gets to 100 first - Sachin or Petrol !

Last edited by NPV : 9th March 2012 at 21:56. Reason: added BHPian handle C300
Old 9th March 2012, 22:56   #2390
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I really hope the poll results and pressure from mamta and others will prevent another "petrol only" hike, keeping my fingers crossed.
These "petrol only" hikes are just a means to procrastinate taking the hard decisions - the real problem lies with pricing of Diesel, LPG, etc - when will they wake up to that fact and take the right decision ?
On a lighter note, as @C300 has mentioned, let's see who gets to 100 first - Sachin or Petrol !
Hey you should be against any hike in fuel prices. From your post it looks like you are fine with Petrol price hike if its followed by diesel price hike too?
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 23:15   #2391
Senior - BHPian

Wish our earnings get pegged to petrol prices then we can all be rich. We will all be paupers by the time we retire if inflationary trends continue. So pray to God that you lead a healthy & productive life till your last breath and hope your investments don't turn to pieces of worthless paper. I just shudder to think how my children will have to work to eke out a living.
Old 10th March 2012, 07:34   #2392
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Hey you should be against any hike in fuel prices. From your post it looks like you are fine with Petrol price hike if its followed by diesel price hike too?
Not exactly
I feel the "petrol only" hikes target just a small section of end users (like me) and is not very useful really since it's another short-term pricing move that is not going to solve the larger problem at hand (subsidised pricing of other fuels).
In fact, I hope they reverse this recent trend for once and consider hiking the price of only Diesel ! If the loss from petrol is Rs.5 a litre and Rs.12 from diesel, why not hike diesel by Rs.7 and get the losses down to Rs.5 on both ? We'll then have some parity and sanity.

Last edited by NPV : 10th March 2012 at 07:38.
Old 10th March 2012, 09:53   #2393
BHPian

Quote:
Not exactly
I feel the "petrol only" hikes target just a small section of end users (like me) and is not very useful really since it's another short-term pricing move that is not going to solve the larger problem at hand (subsidised pricing of other fuels).
In fact, I hope they reverse this recent trend for once and consider hiking the price of only Diesel ! If the loss from petrol is Rs.5 a litre and Rs.12 from diesel, why not hike diesel by Rs.7 and get the losses down to Rs.5 on both ? We'll then have some parity and sanity.

HI NPV,

You have answered your question, petrol users are small but rich section who can afford a little hike, I'm not saying diesel buyers are poor, but any price change in diesel will impact everyone as transportation cost will go up which will hit our daily usage items charges also. A hike in diesel price has multiple effects which is not the case with petrol price hike.

Sorry I don't mean to hurt sentiments of petrol/Diesel users but this is just my point of view.
Old 10th March 2012, 09:58   #2394
Senior - BHPian

Very true, Increase in diesel price would have a domino effect on the economy. But that discussion if for another thread.

Lot of people i know have switched to two wheelers until the rain, and some people have started taking public transportation to office.
Old 10th March 2012, 12:57   #2395
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
HI NPV,

You have answered your question, petrol users are small but rich section who can afford a little hike, I'm not saying diesel buyers are poor, but any price change in diesel will impact everyone as transportation cost will go up which will hit our daily usage items charges also. A hike in diesel price has multiple effects which is not the case with petrol price hike.

Sorry I don't mean to hurt sentiments of petrol/Diesel users but this is just my point of view.
Hey, no issues, we're all mature enough on this forum to understand another point of view though we may not agree.
The discussion about only the rich buying petrol vehicles is for another thread but do remember that most of the common man's 2 wheelers run on petrol and most luxury cars run on diesel so you have the anti-pattern to your point of view right there !
For people like myself in Karnataka where surcharges on petrol is highest, any fuel price hike nationally will mean a bigger hike here - we're already buying petrol at approx. Rs.75 a litre right now

Last edited by NPV : 10th March 2012 at 12:58. Reason: fixed typo
Old 10th March 2012, 14:05   #2396
BHPian

Quote:
Hey, no issues, we're all mature enough on this forum to understand another point of view though we may not agree.
The discussion about only the rich buying petrol vehicles is for another thread but do remember that most of the common man's 2 wheelers run on petrol and most luxury cars run on diesel so you have the anti-pattern to your point of view right there !
For people like myself in Karnataka where surcharges on petrol is highest, any fuel price hike nationally will mean a bigger hike here - we're already buying petrol at approx. Rs.75 a litre right now
Petrol is around Rs.71 plus in Hyderabad (I think so as i buy diesel), My decision of buying a diesel car even my running is less than 10kms a day was because of the fact that govt will not hike diesel prices as much as of petrol as petrol may hit 70% but diesel will hit 100% irrespective of the type of vehicle you are using because transport for ferrying of daily requirements use diesel vehicle and any hike in this will have a direct impact on 100% population.
Old 10th March 2012, 22:04   #2397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
With the BJP sweeping the polls in Goa on Tuesday, I am keenly awaiting the implementation of one of its poll pledges: Reduction of petrol prices to Rs 55. Yes, you read it right, Rs 55 per litre! The BJP has promised to do away with the VAT and claims that it is possible to price petrol here in Goa for Rs 55 per litre.

It that happens, I'll have yet another reason to love staying here in Goa.
i was searching for this news. a friend, few hours ago, told me that the local govt. has done away with VAT for petrol prices in Goa and the price would drop by 11 rupee per litre; could not find any news on TV/web related to this though. let us wait for few days and see if the same gets implemented.
Old 10th March 2012, 22:35   #2398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by infotech58 View Post
i was searching for this news. a friend, few hours ago, told me that the local govt. has done away with VAT for petrol prices in Goa and the price would drop by 11 rupee per litre; could not find any news on TV/web related to this though. let us wait for few days and see if the same gets implemented.
Goa's new BJP Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar has assured to do away with VAT on petrol prices on April 2. He made this assurance on March 9 while addressing a huge public gathering after being sworn in as chief minister.

Do a Google search on these words "Goa Parrikar petrol" and you will find news of this announcement.

On a related note, this petrol hike is constantly being linked to the "diesel prices up=other prices up" theory. If the government wants to increase the price of diesel by, say about Rs 6, what, for instance, stops the government from a 50 paise diesel hike every month? By the end of the year, diesel would have been effectively hiked by Rs 6 and yet, the chain reaction on other prices could well be minimal or at best, contained to a great extent.

Hiking the price of only one fuel at every point in time is not entirely fair. The government should probe other ways to generate funds and contain constant hike in petrol prices.

Last edited by misquitas : 10th March 2012 at 22:50.
Old 10th March 2012, 22:37   #2399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
Petrol is around Rs.71 plus in Hyderabad (I think so as i buy diesel)
You are wrong---it is Rs 73.08 for the past month. It was Rs 73.04 before that.
Old 10th March 2012, 23:37   #2400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi

You are wrong---it is Rs 73.08 for the past month. It was Rs 73.04 before that.
That's why I wrote I think so as I don't have a petrol vehicle so I Gabe an approx price. On the flip side Iam not sure about diesel price as I get the track filled till auto cutoff and then make the payment. That's actually bad on my part, But I think its around Rs.45.xx per ltr.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks