Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2012, 10:13   #2701
BANNED

Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperweight View Post
There is no such thing as a free lunch. The Government cannot subsidize diesel and cooking gas unless something else is taxed. ....... But it still has to be done - there is no such thing as a free lunch.
We are all taxed through inflation, depreciation of the rupee, sluggish economy and so on and so forth. Only it is not obvious to many.
Old 6th September 2012, 21:12   #2702
BHPian

A Rs.5 increase in the price of petrol. No change whatsoever for other fuels. This takes the price of petrol to Rs80+ in Hyderabad. Ohh, my happiness knows no bounds!

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bus...ce_754540.html
Old 6th September 2012, 21:22   #2703
BHPian

Oh boy! This is ludacris.

We Indians are living in the WRONG country :(
speed kills is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 21:41   #2704
Senior - BHPian

It is beyond ludicrous that the burden of paying for subsidies is passed on only to petrol users, but it can happen only in India. Amazing how much the prices of petrol have risen in the last few years, a century is around the corner. Terribly unfair that diesel goes completely scot-free in this latest round of price hikes.
Old 6th September 2012, 22:07   #2705
Senior - BHPian

I doubt if they can increase Rs5 with all those scam news and issues.

I too agree that there is no free lunch. But please, first provide me the lunch for which I paid :(

Can this govt do? Its right time to come up with policy for alternative fuels - read subsidy for alternative fuel vehicles, solar panels, heaters etc etc.
mjothi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 22:29   #2706
BHPian

Another burden on the hapless petrol heads. With so many hikes and fewer cuts how does one chalk out a budget plan every month.

This is nothing but slow poisoning.
Old 6th September 2012, 22:34   #2707
Senior - BHPian

I think time for all of us to look at an alternative mode of transport or make lot more money....

I dont think it makes sense to say why only raise petrol, and why not diesel aswel, well in diesels case we will end up paying for diesel and everyone will need to bare the diesel price hike indirectly aswel..

as "mjothi" mentioned, before talking about free lunch, what about the lunch we paid for? we are made to pay tax for every single commodity we purchase and in return what we get?

Looking at the way fuel prices are shooting up, government should think proactively in getting the public transport in best shape all over the country which will encourage people to stop/reduce the usage of the private transport, this is the way forward but as we all know its asking for to much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
I doubt if they can increase Rs5 with all those scam news and issues.

I too agree that there is no free lunch. But please, first provide me the lunch for which I paid :(

Can this govt do? Its right time to come up with policy for alternative fuels - read subsidy for alternative fuel vehicles, solar panels, heaters etc etc.

Last edited by lohithrao : 6th September 2012 at 22:36.
Old 6th September 2012, 22:57   #2708
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra
Another burden on the hapless petrol heads. With so many hikes and fewer cuts how does one chalk out a budget plan every month.
You can't. Oil is a globally traded commodity, whose prices fluctuate every month. While one can hope for a medium term fall in oil prices due to the US shale revolution, as more Chinese buy cars (Indians are not relevant), oil prices will keep heading higher. So learn to live with fluctuating petrol prices.

The real issue in India is not the rise in petrol prices, it is the failure to raise kerosene, LPG and diesel prices. Retail diesel prices in Bombay (after import duties, CENVAT, state VAT, Octroi, dealer margins, transport et al) are below Singapore wholesale diesel prices. We need a Rs. 20 per litre diesel price hike just to break even.

And for those who crib about taxes on fuel, please note that the GOI counts them as revenues but hides a large part of the fuel subsidy off balance sheet - on the books of ONGC and IOC. And despite counting the revenues and not counting the expenses, GOI tax revenues covered only 53% of its expenses last year. So brace for massive inflation and higher taxes in future.
Old 7th September 2012, 01:36   #2709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao
I think time for all of us to look at an alternative mode of transport or make lot more money....

I dont think it makes sense to say why only raise petrol, and why not diesel aswel, well in diesels case we will end up paying for diesel and everyone will need to bare the diesel price hike indirectly aswel..

as "mjothi" mentioned, before talking about free lunch, what about the lunch we paid for? we are made to pay tax for every single commodity we purchase and in return what we get?

Looking at the way fuel prices are shooting up, government should think proactively in getting the public transport in best shape all over the country which will encourage people to stop/reduce the usage of the private transport, this is the way forward but as we all know its asking for to much...
We anyway pay for everything in some way or the other. But why should only petrol car owners bear the brunt while diesel vehicle owners get a free ride ?
Old 7th September 2012, 01:43   #2710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
We anyway pay for everything in some way or the other. But why should only petrol car owners bear the brunt while diesel vehicle owners get a free ride ?
Good question. And the answer is well known.

Do you (common man!!!) come to road and protest? NO. But when Diesel is increased, there are so many unions (Taxi unions, Lorry operators, same automobile biggies, etc etc. will do.) that can come to road and protest - read votes.

So, naturally only the babies cry is gonna get the milk, and govt will take care only for those who are gonna make hue and cry.

And yes, I missed a point. Govt never stopped the petrol users to buy only petrol cars. They are free to buy diesel ones. So?

Last edited by mjothi : 7th September 2012 at 01:45.
Old 7th September 2012, 08:36   #2711
Senior - BHPian

I saw the news flashes in the morning today that there is going to be an announcement of the fuel price hike once the monsoon session of the parliament ends today. So brace for a price hike by the end of the day and long queues at the filling station thereafter. The proposed petrol pric hike is going to be 2-3 rs and diesel by 5 rs.
Old 7th September 2012, 10:26   #2712

Another shocker that i read yesterday:

http://articles.economictimes.indiat...ls-excise-duty

As per one of article on Economic Times - Oil Ministry intends to propose a Special Tax on Small Cars and Medium/Large by around Rs.1.7 Lacs and 2.55 Lacs respectively.

Now I am super confused about my car upgrade, was considering a Diesel Sedan as my next car. but with limited budget I wonder what to do.
Old 7th September 2012, 10:31   #2713
BANNED

Petrol to be up by Rs5, as expected nothing on Diesel, LPG or Kerosene. Mamata already up in arms, and I guess the normal bunch of jokers will join her.
Old 7th September 2012, 10:39   #2714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Petrol to be up by Rs5, as expected nothing on Diesel, LPG or Kerosene. Mamata already up in arms, and I guess the normal bunch of jokers will join her.
Well , As expected , screw users of petrol every time a parliament session is over. This is one thing which the Congress govt has never failed to deliver on. Why cant they do a timely increase of say 1Re every now and then instead of 5Rs at one shot. It has a demoralizing effect !!!
Old 7th September 2012, 10:58   #2715
Senior - BHPian

Actually the question which we need to ask is "why not reduce" those taxes on petrol? what we get from the politicians is "crocodile tears"!

btw i have a petrol guzzler "RE 535" and it hardly see's petrol bunk, nope its not giving any great mileage just that it is decorating the parking lot these days, why? well have started to use more of cycle/walk and public transport, i guess am already preparing myself for the future.

Diesel price wil also shoot up someday, which will result in shooting up of prices of all commodities and a commoner can do is to get back to those olden days living habbits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks