Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2021, 11:32   #7786
BHPian

Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
This is where PPP (Purchasing Power Parity) comes in handy. There is a reason why...

Forget intellect,
Pitting a nation of 11 crore population against a nation of 133 crores with regards to ppp is only a theoretical approach. A tool used by economists as a reductionist method.

Does this trasalate to the reality with regards to the vast majority of the population who can afford only what we call as basic needs of life. And that's the reality of this country. I'm by no means justifying any one or even trying to hint that taxes collected would reach the needy, on the contrary poor sections of the society being marginalized increasingly in general. However, despite all this the middle class is growing.
PPP counts here - the slow growth of middle class. But that's never a fair comparison whenever the scale of demographics is taken into consideration.

As regards to intellect, what we consider as intelligent to us might not even matter much to many others at all.
adityadeva is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 11:34   #7787
BHPian

It’s the first time that I saw a fairly politically leaning thread on teambhp.

That said I’m used to such discourse when folks just group into pro-Govt and anti-Govt factions, a prime example is on r/Indiaspeaks and r/India over on reddit. I simply hope that we won’t drop down to those levels soon. Politics does tend to bring out the worst in us, knowingly or unknowingly.

While I do believe that this rate cut is just an eyewash and probably won’t last long, however this tiny respite is an opportunity to fill up the tanks, and I’m still thankful for it, as people who are way less fortunate than us desperately needed it.

Either way I wish to thank the mods for allowing me into this vibrant community and I wish all of the members a Happy Diwali. Let that Diya burn bright for there are better days ahead.
Lord-Lannister is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 11:59   #7788
BHPian

Can we all have updated prices in the real world from our respective cities please?

I guess we have had enough of political and economic armchair discussions already!
Attached Thumbnails
The Official Fuel Prices Thread-psx_20211104_115715.jpg  

Geo_Ipe is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 11:59   #7789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
We were getting infrastructures and roads and ports even when fuel was taxed sensibly.
If the excise duty on fuel is paying for these "infrastructures" please explain why you, me and everyone else is forced to pay tolls (that fee is also doubled) ? Why we have to pay "road tax" on vehicle purchase ? Do enlighten me from your whatsapp forwards
Dear lord!! What were those infrastructure, roads and ports we where getting before this government apart from the decent Golden Quadrilateral that started during Vajpayee era. Maybe i was living in another India
turbojet7 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 12:02   #7790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Kollam and Allapuzha bypasses done way ago during 1980 - 2014?

And while on Kerala, please be aware that ongoing 4-laning of NH66 Mumbai - Goa - Tiruvananthapuram - Kanyakumari is another big project .
Is kollam and Alappuzha bypass centers project alone. Anyways better late than never.

I usually have to drive through paravur - kodungallur stretch - it's nowhere near an NH by any standard. The two lane roads are narrow twisted and has several stretches and points where interlocking bricks are used.

four laning that stretch or for that matter even from Edappally towards north would be great task given the land acquisition difficulties in Kerala.

This would be a huge challenge for anyone would lay hands on. And hopefully it chages for the better.
Old 4th November 2021, 12:03   #7791
BHPian

The govt is learning from Flipkart...

Name:  thumb_122306750_798984514184846_1147333924412323486_n8478309564.jpeg
Views: 294
Size:  268.7 KB

And few gullible people will present this as govt's benevolence.
GrandTourer is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 12:10   #7792
Senior - BHPian

So diesel in Bangalore is now 81 something and 87 here. Only if our greedy state govt. could cut Vat as others did. But, don't think they will.

Current price-

Faridabad-
Petrol - 102.03
Diesel - 87.73

Delhi-
Petrol - 104.01
Diesel- 86.71

Last edited by harry10 : 4th November 2021 at 12:14.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 12:13   #7793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityadeva View Post
Is kollam and Alappuzha bypass centers project alone. Anyways better late than never.
Yes, it is on NH66, see post by TBHP forummer "bejoy": https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post4989448 (NH66 / NH17 Mumbai Goa Kanyakumari 4-lane road project updates)

(The bypass diverts to the west of the erstwhile NH66 but after completion it is now part of NH66. All NH's are central govt projects, with state govt's role being limited; if at all it is usually limited to land acquisition)

Kollam bypass Wikipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kollam_Bypass

These are both very small projects. But the point is, this govt is obsessed with infrastructure development, and doesn't let local state level politics get in the way of overall nation building in most cases.

I track infrastructure projects closely.

Last edited by vharihar : 4th November 2021 at 12:17.
vharihar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 12:16   #7794
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Am quite tired of explaining this aspect of "tolls" that people keep bringing up.

Clearly the difference between CAPEX and OPEX isn't being understood by people.
If tolls were just to cover OpEx, they would be much lesser. Unless you think each time, each car/truck that passes through a expressway or toll road causes maintenance worth 40 Rs or 100 Rs or 200 Rs or whatever your toll booth charges?

Tolls are not just OpEx. They are OpEx + monetization - i.e yet another tax on everybody.
carboy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 12:23   #7795
BHPian

This forum was one of the last forums that was relatively untouched by polarized political bickering. I see this everyday on Twitter, Reddit and on the Whatsapp groups I'm a part of.

Team BHP used to be an escape from that. I guess it is not anymore.

PS: and like the other forums, the lack of nuance is quite stark here as well. I dont know why I expected any better
satishv1987 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 12:43   #7796
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishv1987 View Post
relatively untouched by polarized political bickering.

Team BHP used to be an escape from that. I guess it is not anymore.

PS: and like the other forums, the lack of nuance is quite stark here as well. I dont know why I expected any better
Agree cent percent. In fact you stole my words for it.

Seems polarization has reached all time high.

And indeed voicing, opinion, concern, frustration and that too in this pandemic times seems like a new normal. But these are the perks of democracy.

There indeed is exchange of starkly opposing views and while initially it seems that most of us fend what we deem as correct - that too very fiercely and vociferously.

Yet after sometime, on retrospective analysis we assimilate some of the opposing views and maybe we've grown a little bit when we do so.
adityadeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 12:46   #7797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityadeva View Post
Is kollam and Alappuzha bypass centers project alone.
LATER UPDATE: I read your query more carefully now. To answer your query more completely, this is a central govt project (ie. overall ownership to initiate, track status, keep tab on, rekindle/push, etc is with central govt, since it's a NH), but funding was partly from central and partly by state govt in this case.
vharihar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 13:17   #7798
BHPian

Just checked in Shell Bangalore. The V-Power Diesel has seen only the cut by the Union Govt. It was 113, now it is 103. The Karnataka govt's reduction is yet to take effect. CM Mr. Bommai had announced that it will be effective today evening.
Old 4th November 2021, 13:21   #7799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
We don't need any out of the box or jugaad solutions. We just need a half way sensible Govt.
I need the jugaad or out of the box solutions you might not in person. As long as our individual knowledge and understanding doesn't affect a nation just by the act of understanding it's fine to look for these solutions for personal knowledge. Hope you understand.

Every one needs a sensible government.
And I don't think government is going on increasing price and tax on fuel because they are senseless. Because even common folks understand the kind of response it generates.

So the question is why. That's what people overlook.

And that's what I'm looking precisely. Because, fuel price rise is only the symptom. You analyse the symptom correctly, you get to know the disease and it's implications.

Most of the reactions are just crying hoarse and venting frustrations. There could be pro and against arguments. But that never gives any insight.
adityadeva is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2021, 13:54   #7800

As a side note, there were messages flowing around in many whatsapp groups about new business opportunity "Buy Fuel today and Sell it for 5% to 10% profit after a month" (which no bank gives you). If there were people doing such business, they would have not seen this slash coming. This would be great lesson for any future hoarders.
Arvind319 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks