Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2023, 21:58   #8011
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Reason being to collect higher indirect tax to fund infra and other development.

Petrol & Diesel, everyone pays tax and cannot evade it.
Thinking about the amount of tax they're collecting this way, I'm genuinely scared for the future - today electricity is cheap and we can run our ACs at home without worrying too much. I wonder what happens when electric cars become mainstream and they start taxing electricity to overcome shortfalls from lower consumption of fossil fuels. There is no way the govt will tolerate tax collection shortfalls which will invariably increase electricity prices for domestic uses unlike before. The outlook is not encouraging.
Turbohead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 01:48   #8012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Reason being to collect higher indirect tax to fund infra and other development.

Petrol & Diesel, everyone pays tax and cannot evade it.
Infra as in roads? I don't think so. I live in Tier 1 city and roads here are unimaginably pathetic. All highways are being built with tolls.

So is GST. Everyone is paying for it. What I can't digest is the amount they are collecting in forms of tolls, road tax during registration, road development cess in fuel. Inspite of all this, can't find a single road pothole free.

Let's not even consider the condition of roads during monsoons.

Hypothetically, if I consider all their intentions bona-fide, there has to be a limit/timeline to this loot.

Why does the price rise when crude rises and doesn't follow the trend when crude falls? This one way 'international linkage' seems too convenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Thinking about the amount of tax they're collecting this way, I'm genuinely scared for the future - today electricity is cheap and we can run our ACs at home without worrying too much. I wonder what happens when electric cars become mainstream and they start taxing electricity to overcome shortfalls from lower consumption of fossil fuels. There is no way the govt will tolerate tax collection shortfalls which will invariably increase electricity prices for domestic uses unlike before. The outlook is not encouraging.
So you think they will start taxing off grid solar systems too?

Last edited by batish : 20th July 2023 at 01:52.
batish is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 09:52   #8013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
So you think they will start taxing off grid solar systems too?
One could always tax solar panels more if that is not enough, property tax for buildings with solar panels could be hiked.
giri1.8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 23:03   #8014
Senior - BHPian

Petrol, Diesel Prices Cut By ₹ 2 Across India: Oil Minister

The revised price will be effective from March 15, 6 am.

Source: https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/petr...nister-5239388
mukeshgoel is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 23:10   #8015
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post

And they told us fuel prices are market linked

Jokes aside, general elections are such a gravy train. Boggles my mind how gullible we are to the ones governing us, still !!
ABHI_1512 is offline   (68) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 23:24   #8016
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Source: https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/petr...nister-5239388
Please tell me they're joking, right? Two rupees? Pan India, prevailing petrol prices vary from 95 to 112, from state to state. Given these prices of petrol, anything less than 10 rupee reduction is a cruel joke. This is actually more irritating than no reduction at all. I remember 2017 when crude prices crashed globally. And fuel prices (instead of coming down, like they did in every country) tarvelled in opposite direction in our country. They shot up from around 73-74 to 121 rupees, in my state. Within a span of 4-5 months or so. That is close to 50 rupee hike. And, now they grant us 2-rupee relief?
pgsagar is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 03:44   #8017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Knowing how things have panned in the past, I can only aver - a la Chulbul Pandey's flame:

Thapad se darr nahi lagta sahab, pyar se lagta hai!
dailydriver is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 09:11   #8018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Knowing how things have panned in the past, I can only aver - a la Chulbul Pandey's flame:

Thapad se darr nahi lagta sahab, pyar se lagta hai!
Well, if we see the trend and common sense then I expect a 20 rs increase for both once elections are done. Anything less will be a surprise for me.
harry10 is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 09:18   #8019
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Well, if we see the trend and common sense then I expect a 20 rs increase for both once elections are done. Anything less will be a surprise for me.
Oh absolutely.

They have held fuel prices steady for quite some time now. A minor reduction before elections, followed by major increases afterwards once power is secured. We have seen them play this game many times before.

Petrol and diesel are commodities which people HAVE TO buy, irrespective of price. We may cry, we may complain, we may protest, but at the end of the day we have to buy. Government knows this.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 12:03   #8020
BHPian

Am tired of people complaining here after all the things the Government is doing. Afterall,

1- We're building the nation by paying the extra CESS, it's not funding any businessman's debt

2- Fuel prices are market linked and there is no role of the government here, they have showed us mercy by reducing it by INR 2/-

3- India is the next world superpower with almost NIL poor people

4- LPG reduced by 100 and now Fuel by 2 will push the remaining poor people out of poverty
Sk8r is online now   (88) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 12:16   #8021
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
2- Fuel prices are market linked and there is no role of the government here, they have showed us mercy by reducing it by INR 2/-
All said and done, you are living in a fairy world if you believe this statement of yours.
Where was the govt sleeping when the crude prices crashed ? Search and research before posting these baseless comments.
ptaneja is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 12:29   #8022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
All said and done, you are living in a fairy world if you believe this statement of yours.
Where was the govt sleeping when the crude prices crashed ? Search and research before posting these baseless comments.
He's done a lovely job with his post sir. Please read it carefully. Beautiful writing.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 12:31   #8023
BHPian

For those who justify 2rs of price reduction, following is the historical data of Indian Crude purchase. Convert it to INR and see if we were paying as per international purchase price

The Official Fuel Prices Thread-screen-shot-031524-12.26-pm.png
ptaneja is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 12:54   #8024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Am tired of people complaining here after all the things the Government is doing. Afterall,

1- We're building the nation by paying the extra CESS, it's not funding any businessman's debt

3- India is the next world superpower with almost NIL poor people

4- LPG reduced by 100 and now Fuel by 2 will push the remaining poor people out of poverty
Beautifully written ! could be used by the Media houses and IT Cells of the Ruling party
Ananthponraj is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 12:57   #8025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Probably not. Solar is cheap and made "locally" in their own homes. So , the addition of taxes, surcharges etc would not be present . However with the fossil fuels- the import duty, foreign exchange rates would be applicable which would be fluctuating depending on the world market and hence the necessicity of taxation and surcharges etc.

Hope we are not proved wrong by the governments
mjkaushal is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks