Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2022, 12:52   #7966
BHPian

Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Petrol Dealers across 24 States to not buy Fuel on 31st May.

70,000 fuel pumps will follow no purchase on May 31, 2022, across India.
I was going through several articles which mentioned this, but I am confused as to what this truly achieves. The association president in an article in The Print said that this is unlikely to affect the general supply chain as petrol pumps have 2-day stock at all times. So whatever they don't buy on May 31st, will be bought on Jun 1.

I do empathize with them in this though. The current regime's flair for making dramatic announcements often leaves things like this unplanned on the ground level. Sure we call most petrol pump owners to be super-rich elites, but it doesn't mean they should give into huge losses. Lots of livelihoods are dependent on these pumps, not to mention this kind of repeated loss only breeds corruption and will lead to more dishonest pumps!
cbrspn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 14:21   #7967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrspn View Post
I was going through several articles which mentioned this, but I am confused as to what this truly achieves. The association president in an article in The Print said that this is unlikely to affect the general supply chain as petrol pumps have 2-day stock at all times. So whatever they don't buy on May 31st, will be bought on Jun 1.
Having family in the trade, I would like to chip in with some views from the other side. These actions are just a result of continued one-sided actions by the Oil companies, and unfortunately there's no recourse where they would not have to jeopardise their businesses. As such, these symbolic "strikes" are a way to get the companies to notice that a lot of their retail partners have certain issues which need to be addressed before things boil over. And although, these actions may not affect the companies monetarily, it will cause a temporary inconvenience to their depot logistics, and helps to get the news out into the print and TV media. Something that seems necessary these days to get any kind of viewership from Govt. authorities.

Would also like to add some details for the general awareness of the forum readers about recent changes in policy, and how they are affecting these Retail partners (petrol pump owners):-
- An obvious issue is that the skyrocketing fuel prices have lead to a significant increase in capital requirements. In cases of lower volume dealers, most profits have needed to be reinvested to keep up with the same.
- The commision to dealers have been fixed on a per Litre basis, and were supposed to be reviewed annually. With the price hikes, and no review for the last 5 years, dealers are making less now than they were 4-5 years ago. (an approx. 30% reduction on a Rupee value)
- Simultaneously, the introduction of automation and tracking services have increased the burden of charges and fees on the dealers. Which in isolation may not seem much of a burden, but seeing as there is no increment in commissions, it's becoming a lose lose situation for dealers.
- Recently the Oil companies have started demanding full payment for the fuel the dealers want to purchase before releasing the oil tankers from supply points. Again, not usually an issue, but over weekend bank closures, and longer holidays, where a dealer maybe sitting on a cash pile and still be unable to replenish his stocks. This can become a serious caus of concern. Do not be surprised to see a slew of low volume dealers being out of fuel every few weeks, if this policy continues.

The above are just a few of the primary and finance related issues that I keep hearing about. There are obviously many more issues such as shortage in the fuel supplied to dealers (yes, customers filling up their cars are not the only ones being short changed!), problems with companies not holding up their end of the bargain when it comes to maintenance at Petrol pumps, and other miscellaneous problems.

Hope the above gives an insight of what the other side is dealing with, and maybe we can all agree that not every businessman running a petrol pump is a thief out to dupe their customers.

Last edited by ask99 : 31st May 2022 at 14:23. Reason: grammar
ask99 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 14:58   #7968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanixravindran View Post
Yes, Essar (now Nykaa) mostly have 2 Rupees higher retail price. In Chennai, HP retails at Rs.102.82 and Essar retails at Rs. 105.1. I tanked up regular petrol at HP yesterday.
Having known Falguni (Nyka Founder) for sometime, I was wondering why would she choose to enter oil & gas all of the sudden.
Gotham_City is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 15:12   #7969
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham_City View Post
Having known Falguni (Nyka Founder) for sometime, I was wondering why would she choose to enter oil & gas all of the sudden.
It has been already corrected earlier. It is Nayara energy and nowhere related to Nyka or its founder.

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/energy/ener...rgy-ltd-/20385
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 16:07   #7970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham_City View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
It has been already corrected earlier. It is Nayara energy and nowhere related to Nyka or its founder.

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/energy/ener...rgy-ltd-/20385
Sorry for the typo. One of the perils of typing from mobile when the keyboard takes the closest previously used word to an incorrectly typed word.

Probably Falguni can heave a sigh of relief that she won't be blamed for the high fuel prices

I will stop here before making further mistakes.
thanixravindran is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 17:33   #7971
BHPian

Impact of this "pseudo" strike:

Out of 3 dealers in HSR layout within 2-3 kms of each other,

BP Samahitha (27th Main): No Diesel
IOC Agara: Only Premium Diesel (who doesn't want to jump on the crisis?)
HP Vrishabhadri (BDA Complex): Normal Diesel available.

The last one seemed to not participate in the strike, as per the attendant.

My question is, are these kind of disruptions legal? Isn't diesel under Emergency Goods and Services Act?
Old 1st June 2022, 00:35   #7972
BHPian

Shell Diesel - Now the difference between PSU's and Shell is Rs. 17.69 in Bangalore. Still I see enroute to Office, vehicles filling up Diesel albeit in small numbers. Or these Vehicle Owners are ignorant of the price difference.

Rs. 2 difference, we can factor for better services, but paying Rs. 17.69 on every litre of Diesel is worth?
jaaz is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 09:06   #7973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Rs. 2 difference, we can factor for better services, but paying Rs. 17.69 on every litre of Diesel is worth?
(perceived) Higher probability of getting unadulterated fuel ?
Old 1st June 2022, 11:47   #7974
BHPian

Quote:
Shell Diesel...

Most of these people are on an expense account of some sort. I've seen people who are salesmen or service agents of some kind filling their two wheelers with the most expensive premium fuel. I'm sure it's the same with government employees and others who are reimbursed for fuel expenses. Don't forget that post covid a lot of businesses are raking in insane profits.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 17:36   #7975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shell Diesel - Now the difference between PSU's and Shell is Rs. 17.69 in Bangalore. ... Vehicle Owners are ignorant of the price difference.

Normally price difference between Shell and PSU bunk is not that much.
Without giving much thought, I made a blunder of tanking up on Shell Diesel and then realized that had to pay 500 bucks extra.
My mistake though and feel cheated. Unlikely to visit Shell in the near future.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 1st June 2022 at 17:37.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 18:55   #7976
Senior - BHPian

In Chennai Shell normal unleaded costs Rs 5 more than BP Speed. Earlier the difference was not so much.
Old 1st June 2022, 19:20   #7977
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
In Chennai Shell normal unleaded costs Rs 5 more than BP Speed. Earlier the difference was not so much.
It could be that HP, IOC, BP add ethanol to unleaded while shell doesn't, so its more costly. It think its mandatory to add ethanol for state owned oil companies.

I mean you find videos of people complaining about getting water in their fuel tanks which can only be caused by ethanol and these people are not going to be filling up with expensive fuels like shell.

Last edited by aim120 : 1st June 2022 at 19:21.
Old 1st June 2022, 19:27   #7978
Senior - BHPian

^^ That is conjecture. Have they said so anywhere? Ethanol blending is mandatory for all normal fuels, and only premium fuels (Such as Speed 97) are exempted - for now. Moreover Shell procure their fuels from PSU refineries, they don't have refineries in India.
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 20:07   #7979
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ That is conjecture. Have they said so anywhere? Ethanol blending is mandatory for all normal fuels, and only premium fuels (Such as Speed 97) are exempted - for now. Moreover Shell procure their fuels from PSU refineries, they don't have refineries in India.
Well the only way to know for sure is to take a sample of the fuel in a glass container and add about 1 to 2 % water. If it has ethanol, it would absorb the water and settle at the bottom of container. You can even get to know the ethanol percentage.
I will be doing this test and update it here and in the ethanol thread.
aim120 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 13:09   #7980
PGA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post

https://www.thehindu.com/business/In...le65472648.ece

And now this, they forgot to add 'ever' in the title at the end. Profit increase of 258%, rise from Rs 11k to 40k.

Do things look convoluted or am I upside down.
PGA is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks