Attached Thumbnails
The Official Fuel Prices Thread-img20240315wa0027.jpg  

livetodrive is offline   (61) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 14:09   #8042
BHPian

Re: The Official Fuel Prices Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post

2- Fuel prices are market linked and there is no role of the government here, they have showed us mercy by reducing it by INR 2/-
Won’t ask about the mercy part as it’s controversial. But please check how many times in the past the international crude was at rock bottom, low rate but zilch was passed to the customer.
If straight forward one is saying this is election gimmick then I can accept.
Also it’s definitely not equitable how the benefit reaches all types of customers. For example a guy using a liter capacity engine super bike won’t feel any big deal as it’s 2 rupees. But the same thing for a TVS XL daily bread earning poor guy, won’t it be good to give a 20 rupee reduction to the latter?
RunGaDa is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 14:15   #8043
BHPian

As my ex-manager used to say, “ if you are cribbing about something, do something about it. If you are not doing anything about it, stop cribbing “.

I don’t think we can reasonably do anything about it as the alternative is well worse off.. so other than take it all as a package and live with our angst, nothing can be done about it.
charanreddy is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 14:53   #8044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
For those who justify 2rs of price reduction, following is the historical data of Indian Crude purchase. Convert it to INR and see if we were paying as per international purchase price
Exactly!
The lack of drawing an equitable fuel pricing policy is the focal point. And this gets sidelined every single time.
Govt has failed to get a different color petrol and failed to remove duties and taxes for the real middle and lower middle class owning 125cc or lower powered vehicles.
These are the people who need it.
Because of the fear of misuse the govt discarded this idea.
But with technology and brains at disposal they would’ve got it implemented.
The question is who will disturb the hornet’s nest?!
RunGaDa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 15:52   #8045
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safariLove View Post
Just curious, the syndrome of reducing before elections and hiking post-elections can only be seen in our country?
The reduction had in fact become overdue since the third quarter of 2023. But then there were no very significant elections at stake, other than in some states. They had schemingly waited for this golden opportunity just before the 2024 general elections and till just a few days before the EC's Code of Conduct becomes effective. Hence just before the elections, just Rs 2 in reduction is presumptively to influence the laymen.

There were talks in December 2023 about a reduction of Rs 4 to Rs 6 and also Rs 10 ( a joke perhaps).

Quote:
Centre might also mull higher price cut of up to Rs 10 per litre. A fuel price cut will also dampen the retail inflation that rose to a three-month high of 5.55% in November.
Petroleum Ministry and Finance Ministry held discussions recently and submitted options to Prime Minister's Office regarding this. These two ministries hold discussions every fortnight on fuel prices.
Sources said Union government is in favour of fuel price cut as crude oil prices have been hovering in the range of $70-$80 per barrel for last three months.
The link :-
https://www.businesstoday.in/latest/...181-2023-12-28

And post June 2024, this reduction could be in all likelihood get nullified by another rise possibly by more than Rs 2.00.

And it's an open secret that the argument by the government "fuel prices are linked to the international market and govt has de-regulated etc" sounds hollow and is to just gain brownie points from the gullible.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 16th March 2024 at 16:08.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 16:37   #8046
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
All said and done, you are living in a fairy world if you believe this statement of yours.
Where was the govt sleeping when the crude prices crashed ? Search and research before posting these baseless comments.
I know this is off-topic, but your profile picture tricked me into thinking that there was actually an insect on my screen!
ExtremePocca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 21:02   #8047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post

So you think they will start taxing off grid solar systems too?
Never underestimate the ingenuity of government (politicians + bureaucrats = deadly combination). You may one day come back to this post and giggle at how naive you were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
And they told us fuel prices are market linked

Jokes aside, general elections are such a gravy train. Boggles my mind how gullible we are to the ones governing us, still !!
Yes. Fuel prices are market linked. Taxes are adjusted so that common man is not troubled by variations in international prices. It’s grossly unfair that you have any doubts about intentions of the governing class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Well, if we see the trend and common sense then I expect a 20 rs increase for both once elections are done. Anything less will be a surprise for me.
We should be happy that we are given this opportunity to make contributions to progress of the nation by paying taxes.

All the above are pun intended.

But on a serious note, Rs 2/- reduction one day before model code kicks in just shows how the government thinks that a couple rupee reduction can sway voter mood (if fuel prices were even a factor). We do come cheap when it’s time to buy our support.
OrangeCar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th March 2024, 21:22   #8048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCar View Post

We do come cheap when it’s time to buy our support.
Touché.

With God's grace, petrol prices will touch newer highs after results. More prices mean more taxes, which mean more progress of the nation.
Fuldagap is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 03:07   #8049
BHPian

This is a rant. You may not find any useful information that has not been repeated above.

Eh? What poverty are you guys talking about?

There is no poverty in India.

All Indians have a minimum of 15 lakh rupees in their bank accounts.

Honestly, this price reduction is so infuriating that it is really pissing off.

When global crude crashed in 2020, we had a Rs. 20 cess to make sure prices remained constant and then we kept increasing prices in line with market trends, and after our costs plummeted due to Russia's oil supply and related embargo, we made sure that our prices remained constant.

As a student/intern with a motorcycle, love for touring and a tight budget, these last few years were nothing but pissing off.

I don't even know what runs in the minds of the Hon MPs, when they say stuff like "in line with international trends". Do they really consider us that dumb? (And are we proving them right?)

Hell, even if these were put to good use, I could soothe the burn.

Aaaarghh...!!!!

Last edited by Aditya : 17th March 2024 at 08:41. Reason: Minor punctuation edits
alphamike_1612 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 08:54   #8050
BHPian

We cannot find fault with Rs 2 price decrease. It is an open secret on why it is done only now. We all have been brain washed in all spheres of life that without any discount, we will never buy anything. We have billion dollar days with popular online portals and we have deep discounts of automobiles at year end. I would say we all are penny wise and pound foolish. We buy stuff not needed just because it is under deep discount. I remember people filling the tanks whenever there is a price increase from midnight of some day. This is human psychology. Even educated people are falling for it but it is a double edged sword with these so called educated public. They will not vote but enjoy the holiday on election day elsewhere. Politicians hate these urban educated public. Lot of people have already surrendered the subsidy on gas cylinders voluntarily. I often use SHELL gas stations who give a better user experience because the fuel is not subsidised and few rupees saving is not a big deal for me. I am sure I am not alone.

If I may relate to an analogy where the prices are initially increased and decreased on Black Friday sale. My personal favourite is to buy a shoe which is one size smaller than our feet and after 8 hours , remove them. You will enjoy happiness like no other.

Last edited by Mystic : 17th March 2024 at 09:06.
Mystic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 15:16   #8051
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamike_1612 View Post
This is a rant.

I don't even know what runs in the minds of the Hon MPs, when they say stuff like "in line with international trends". Do they really consider us that dumb? (And are we proving them right?)

Aaaarghh...!!!!
Do you actually think that govt is run by MPs ?
How many cabinet ministers name you know of who have given interviews about their ministries? Don't start googling now and no need to reply reply to me either.

We have already moved towards one man, one nation.

Wait for elections to get over. Inflation is going to skyrocket.
For people who have cash, stay invested in market.
For people who don't have cash, it's the right time to start saving because govt has given you a releif of 2 Rs.
Enjoy.
turbo_delight is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 17:37   #8052
BHPian

Ah! The joy of saving the 2 rupees and now, reading the wit in the past posts :-)
All is well !
whitewing is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 19:22   #8053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanmadhini View Post
Well said. And just to add:

5. Obviously such citizen friendly measures have nothing to do with elections or electoral bonds and other such paraphernalia of a strong democracy.
Sarcasms and digs are fine, but money doesn't grow on trees. Neither do we have a past when we looted from a colony or sold weapons during a world war.

We are neither having a currency which serves as the reserve currency for the rest of the world and we don't have the global hegemony to take around 31.4 trillion dollars of debt which will be serviced by the third world countries by consuming oil.

Government will extract tax for sure. Also there will be all sorts of election gimmicks.

But when the hard earned money goes down the drain, it sure reflects in public mood.

Every successive government has seen that the easiest way to collect tax is taxing the oil.

With our foreign exchange reserves in tune of 600 bn USD, it seems all hasn't gone to the pockets of businessmen afterall. Sometimes sarcasms can be truth - inadvertently.
helios9406 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 19:35   #8054
BHPian

I must admit that government has done a fine balancing work of keeping fuel prices in check despite all volatility. Government has also giving relief when necessary without bankrupting oil companies or carrying oil debt.

Moreover Fuel Tax collected has been used prudently for infra projects, proving needy subsidy to farmers, poor whenever necessary.
To top it off this 2 rupee reduction will further help reduce fuel burden on middle class. Overall

Last edited by FrozeninTime : 17th March 2024 at 19:37.
FrozeninTime is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 19:43   #8055
BHPian

Cut in fuel price doesn't directly affect middle class much. Maybe logistic cost would go down and that would trickle down to groceries and such.
If you are planning a long road trip, where say, you end up using 300 liters of fuel, you will save 600 Rs. That's less than you would spend on Pizza for two.

Last edited by Ltinsane : 17th March 2024 at 20:06.
Ltinsane is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks