Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2012, 18:19   #271
BHPian

Why does this thread lack the Hondas and Toyotas!! (Except the qualis) The kings of long term reliability.

Or is it that in India these tend to be luxury vehicles and hence bought mainly for show!
Old 27th September 2012, 18:43   #272
BHPian

re: Highest reading on the odometer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Why does this thread lack the Hondas and Toyotas!! (Except the qualis) The kings of long term reliability.

Or is it that in India these tend to be luxury vehicles and hence bought mainly for show!
I drive a Toyota Fortuner which has done 170,000+ kms, it's Petrol Automatic version (2008 model) in the Middle East. Only routine service done as per the manual. Even the tyres are holding good, first set changed at approximately 100,000kms and the second/current set is good enough for another few thousand kms. Both sets were Bridgestone HT.
Old 27th September 2012, 22:52   #273
BHPian

Yesterday saw a logan waiting at hope farm signal.
Peeked and noticed odo at 4lacs and couple of thousand kms.
Old 27th September 2012, 23:17   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
My Y2K Splendor's odo is at 103000 KM and counting. The engine is yet to be overhauled.
Not even a Piston Ring Change?
Thats amazing,since air cooled engines have a short life.
Old 27th September 2012, 23:24   #275
BHPian

155000 KM on my Esteem VXi, sold in 2007 though..
Old 27th September 2012, 23:24   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
My accent is now a bit over 95k mark, Expect to hit 1L by year end, Car remains trouble free ( Touchwood ). I just love koreans for their reliability.

Cheers,
Sameer
I sold(Only reason to sell was rising fuel cost,and my running is 120kms per day) my petrol Accent with 1.3L kms on odo,engine was still as good as new,and i could still rely on her eyes closed,only issue was a clutch bearing noise,and i had replaced the clutch then,in fact in her seven years of life,she never asked for a double crank of the engine to start.
My friend sold his with 1.9L kms on odo,and she was still running awsome without a overhaul,though he had to replace hydraulic tappets at 1.45L on odo.
Old 27th September 2012, 23:29   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I sold(Only reason to sell was rising fuel cost,and my running is 120kms per day) my petrol Accent with 1.3L kms on odo,engine was still as good as new,and i could still rely on her eyes closed,only issue was a clutch bearing noise,and i had replaced the clutch then,in fact in her seven years of life,she never asked for a double crank of the engine to start.
My friend sold his with 1.9L kms on odo,and she was still running awsome without a overhaul,though he had to replace hydraulic tappets at 1.45L on odo.
My ride is still on Stock Clutch and suspension, Engine still drives like a dream, My running is also on higher side of 1500kms per month, So i am using it with CNG currently.

I am NOT going to sell her, Even when we upgrade in future. I am just too attached with her, My love

God bless Koreans for their reliability.

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 27th September 2012, 23:31   #278
BHPian

Complementing this thread
My Suzuki Baleno 2000 model is currently at 138000 and still runs fine

Coming to insanity
I was at my local mechanics' shop where he had a qualis for an engine overhaul
I peeped into the car interiors and everything had broken to the extent of.replacement, even the seats

I asked the driver for that cab for the key to swith it on
He allowed me to do it and the engine sounded pretty good
Checked the odo it was at 468000 and i was totlly shocked and asked him how does he maintain at these kms
For a further shock he revealed to me that this is a 2 year old reading... and the car would have crossed 6 lacs by now
I came out of the car with respect for his(yes, i refer a car as male) engine and he reported that its the seventh overhaul of the engine.
Gawd, how do people manage such odo's
Old 27th September 2012, 23:40   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Not even a Piston Ring Change?
Thats amazing,since air cooled engines have a short life.
No! But The clutch was replaced twice and the drive chain / sprocket once. And last month the timing chain was replaced for the first time.

Bike needs a overhaul now, though it still pulls cleanly and returns ~ 50 KMPL. But needs an oil top-up every week. I am still mulling whether to overhaul the bike or replace it!

I don't agree about the short life bit. The 100k+ KM for the HH bikes of that period is about par for the course!

Last edited by Gansan : 27th September 2012 at 23:42.
Old 27th September 2012, 23:45   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No! But The clutch was replaced twice and the drive chain / sprocket once. And last month the timing chain was replaced for the first time.

Bike needs a overhaul now, though it still pulls cleanly and returns ~ 50 KMPL. But needs an oil top-up every week. I am still mulling whether to overhaul the bike or replace it!

I don't agree about the short life bit. The 100k+ KM for the HH bikes of that period is about par for the course!
Sir,that may be probably because,you rode it within city,and never pushed it.Chain and sprocket lasting a lakh kms is unheard of.
I lost the count as to how many sets of chains and sprockets my Zma consumed in 75k kms,but then i Ab(used) it for touring in himalayas and flat out on highways,but yes,i had replaced rings once,clutch and gearbox twice.
Old 27th September 2012, 23:49   #281
Senior - BHPian

^^ I have said chain and sprocket were replaced once! That was around the 50k mark I think. But you are right about city usage! Who will take a Splendor on long distance trips?
Old 28th September 2012, 00:03   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^ I have said chain and sprocket were replaced once! That was around the 50k mark I think. But you are right about city usage! Who will take a Splendor on long distance trips?
ohk,my bad.
btw,do not underestimate a splendor,years ago,i was going full throttle on a CI RE350,when a Splendor passed by,and a few people i know,have sucessfully completed ladakh ride on a splendor.
Old 28th September 2012, 07:15   #283
Senior - BHPian

^^The bike is capable; but the rider will get piles! I was already 40 when I bought the bike!

But I have done some long distance rides on the Ind-Suzuki AX-100, Kawasaki KB-100 and the Shogun during my twenties and early thirties!
Old 17th October 2012, 21:00   #284
Team-BHP Support

This one definitely deserves an honorable mention in this thread - My father-in-law's 3 year old Indica Vista.

It has all of 2,400 Kms on the odometer! It looks like it has done 240,000 kms though - with scratches all over the body and a dislodged bumper.

Highest reading on the odometer!-dsc00020.jpg

Highest reading on the odometer!-dsc00021.jpg
Old 17th October 2012, 23:11   #285
MHG
BHPian

My dad did just around 31k on his 1999 TVS-Suzuki Samurai until about Jan this year (2012). Pretty low for the time period. I took over the bike since Feb and today the odo reads 43.4k something. Expecting to cross 50k comfortably (and 55k with some extra travelling thrown in) when I return the bike sometime in April 2013

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks