Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2009, 17:08   #136
Senior - BHPian

81Lakhs !!!!!!
I rather buy a BMW/AUDi or the range rover sport for that range.
what were they thinking?
Old 17th June 2009, 18:10   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
81Lakhs !!!!!!
I rather buy a BMW/AUDi or the range rover sport for that range.
what were they thinking?
Abroad, the landcruiser sells in the same price range as the premium SUVs you mentioned. Why would the sell it cheaper in India?
Old 18th June 2009, 04:54   #138
Senior - BHPian

Toyota is charging a premium for its badge, that's it. What it doesn't realise is that the target audience is well-educated nowadays. People who have a few crores parked in their accounts AND are out for a luxo-barge are paying for the brand-name, than the car itself. I'm pretty sure that the LC doesn't have much to offer in addition to what Monteros (or for that matter even Q7s/X5s) offer. We'll talk about off-roading credentials when somebody actually takes one on the beaten track. I can bet that the only slush that an Indian LC would ever see on its undercarriage would be from the potholed tarmacs in the monsoons.

Who are we kidding, people? No enthusiast would EVER buy a NEW LC for that amount of money. Especially with the choices available now.

I shudder to think what the Fortuner would be priced at. And this is supposed to be RECESSION (gulp)...!
Old 18th June 2009, 07:46   #139
Senior - BHPian

I wouldn't buy a Lexus SUV sold at that price of 81 lakhs, much less the same SUV with a Toyota badge on it.

Lately, Toyota seems to have bizarre ideas about its premium value. Why do they have the Lexus badge if they think they can demand a premium on the Toyota badge itself?
Old 18th June 2009, 08:12   #140
BHPian

BMW X5, Porsche cayenne GTS, AUDI Q7, land rover, now these are SUVs you should go for. another thing however big it might be or comfortable etc. you cant beat the looks of abover mentioned SUVs.

speaking of montero. i think that now looks dirt cheap compared to this toyota lolz
Old 18th June 2009, 12:07   #141
Senior - BHPian

Modern off-roaders just got better! They don't go off-road anymore!!

I would love to see a guy splurge 81L on this and take it to one of the OTRs that we do. He will end up with a service and repair bill worthy enough to buy a couple of Marutis!!

Mitsubishi is not doing it right with HM, GM is practically RIP, Honda doesn't have a diesel, so Toyota - price it as you please.
Old 20th June 2009, 03:40   #142
BHPian

Is Toyota by any Chance Using Parts made of GOLD in the Vehicles they Wish To import in India , Or Are they Competing with The Growth rate of GDP of India Versus the Price of THIS LC , Finally It looks Like IT will be more expensive 10 15 Years Down road Then A BENTLEY if Toyota Kept on Increasing Price Like this

What ON Earth makes them Think They can charge 40 50 % more then the Price of AUDI Q7 BMW X5 ,damn its Even expensive then X6 and Porsche Cayenne

May be Toyota wants to sell Altis and Innova and smaller Cars i Hope they don't mess Up the pricing of FORTtunner Like this , Camry is another example of a Product selling 25 % to its Potential That to with the Help
OF Hotels and Tour's and travel Guys
Old 20th June 2009, 11:44   #143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubin2006 View Post

They can charge 40 50 % more then the Price of AUDI Q7 BMW X5 ,damn its Even expensive then X6 and Porsche Cayenne
who are you kidding?
Old 21st June 2009, 12:44   #144
Senior - BHPian

Toyota Land Cruiser V8 wins Security Award for second year | Indian Autos blog
Bulletproof is the first word that comes into mind when i think Land Cruiser.
The LC is still considered to be a very healthy alternative to the x5 and the q7. Some may even buy it over the S class or the 7 too.
one of the folks at the Toyota dealership in trichur confirmed already 10-15 bookings for this beast.
although i still feel toyota could have made it cheaper by atleast 4-5 % by going the CKD way instead of the cbu.
well anyway this is the first step. Slowly Toyota should look to localize the SUV a bit more.

Loved the Add BTW "Pride of the World Now in India"
Old 21st June 2009, 23:08   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Abroad, the landcruiser sells in the same price range as the premium SUVs you mentioned. Why would the sell it cheaper in India?
Atleast in dubai the LX 470 compared to a BMW X5 or RR SPORT is AED 100,000 or more cheaper.This is insane and a rip off pricing by TOYOTA.
Old 13th July 2009, 11:18   #146
BHPian

I am intrigued by the following (a quote from Autocar report about LC V8 ):

"The Land Cruiser is powered by a 4.5-litre twin-turbo V8 diesel that produces 285bhp and 66kgm of torque with a curve that looks like the Tibetan plateau. The dash to 100kph is dispatched in an impressive 13.10 seconds and the Land Cruiser keeps barreling on to cross the 150kph mark in 31.83sec."

Is it really that slow. I understand the true purpose and potential of the vehicle but still want to know if above 0-100/150 figures can be relied upon. I have read figures ranging from 8.2 secs all the way to 13.1 secs. Any owner would like to confirm or correct above.
Old 13th July 2009, 11:47   #147
Senior - BHPian

The US Spec 5.7 ltr v8 specs says 6.5 seconds to 60 mph (97 km/h), and quarter mile at 93.3 mph in 14.9 seconds! That's obviously the 5.7 ltr talking I guess! Expecting the 4.5 liter to be slower, I still think a 0 to 100 of 8 to 9 seconds should be a fair expectation.
Old 13th July 2009, 12:08   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
Modern off-roaders just got better! They don't go off-road anymore!!

I would love to see a guy splurge 81L on this and take it to one of the OTRs that we do. He will end up with a service and repair bill worthy enough to buy a couple of Marutis!!

Mitsubishi is not doing it right with HM, GM is practically RIP, Honda doesn't have a diesel, so Toyota - price it as you please.
I note that forum members seem to have an issue with the pricing of most of the new entrants in India - from the i 20 to the Jazz and now the LC. Why would all the pricing guys in the companies be getting it wrong? And if they do, will not the free market dynamic take care of that error in time?
But the point that no one who spends this kind of money will take the car off road is an interesting one. More than the absolute price level, it is the price relative to income/wealth levels that will decide this, and the people who buy this car ought to feel just the same pinch in doing the OTR thing, that many of us will for the Gypsy/Jeep - in a relative way, which is the only way to see this. If that was to be the case, the LC owner would be able to do with the car, exactly what I would be able do with a brand new Gypsy, if I had one. And what I hesitate to do with my Pajero. Which is what I should have thought of before I bought it!
But the thing is that the people who are in the LC buyer income bracket are not the people that will go OTR in India for kicks. Which means that even if the car is bought, it will not be used for what it has been made. As in the case of its companion SUVs.
But it is an awesomely capable, and awesomely reliable car, to cross continents in, and one that will last for years. And for the right person, still value for money. As will be proved by the fact that people buy it, because value is as perceived by the buyer. Now, if they do not sell a single piece at that price, is a different matter indeed. Let's see how the sales numbers rack up.
Old 13th July 2009, 12:32   #149
BHPian

^ I like what you said Sawyer

Typically, people who are complaining about the pricing of LC (which i agree is expensive), would have probabaly never have bought an LC anyway, even if it was slightly cheaper. Its just that they dream to own one, which i do too.

Now you dont want your roads clogged with LC's running around up and down all day, do we? Not in these modern times of Overpopulation, Water Scarcity, Peak Oil and Carbon Tax - The "civilized" rich have seen it all, and dont care, they are now happy with Mini or Prius. The "uncivilized or emerging rich" might want to get a taste of toys like these, get bored, and get over it eventually, hopefully.

Last edited by aerohit : 13th July 2009 at 12:34.
Old 13th July 2009, 13:08   #150
Senior - BHPian

Well I thoroughly agree with Sawyer. Companies are free to price how they want. The question that we should be asking is: Will it sell? I have a feeling it will. The LC doesn't give you the outright brand value of an Audi or Range Rover but it is one really capable machine. And the LC has its own brand value. Don't call it a Toyota. Call it a Land Cruiser. The LC brand is very very strong and Toyota seems to think it can hold its own against Audis, Mercs and the rest.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks