Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2009, 19:31   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Landcruiser is priced on par with the S Class in the United States. Now, in India, the S Class retails for in the region of 80 lakhs....same as the Landcruiser.

I don't think it's overpriced for a CBU. But yet, Toyota ought to build it here and get the rate down to 60ish.
Not Quite GTO - LC starts at about 65K in the US and the Lexus LX at about 75K. The S550 (The 450 is not available Stateside yet) on the other hand starts at 89K. That is a major price difference across the board.

And the previous Gen S430 was around 75K where as the LC was 55K and the Lexus LX was 65K.

Toyota is trying to take the LC upmarket for sure; but I don't know if there will be any takers at that price. Maybe 80L for the Lexus badge; but not for the Toyota badge.
Old 9th June 2009, 19:58   #122
BHPian

Yawn. I'm glad I did not wait for this. It is just too damn expensive for a Toyota.

I know the comparison is not right but here in Japan you get the 4.6L petrol (234 kW/47 kgm) model in the range 4.7M to 6.9M JPY (including 5% consumption tax). That is about 24 lakhs to 35 lakhs INR for a superbly loaded model. As a comparison the fully loaded Honda CRV retails for 3.1M JPY. Only well heeled hardcore LC fans will go for it in India. All the best toyotabharat !!
Old 9th June 2009, 20:02   #123
Senior - BHPian

lol i loved the title of this thread. All Rise.. I jumped and that too like I sat on a hot potato. What in the world is wrong with Toyota, just after they priced the Altis so well. Dissapointing to say the least.
Old 9th June 2009, 20:20   #124
BHPian

Maybe Toyota's adopting price skimming strategy. First round attract ULTRA HNIs such as the powerful politician >= CM level, the powerful Infrastructure and real estate magnates, mine owners...oh I give up...this does not seem right, unless there are sub ultra HNIs around for the next round.....
Old 9th June 2009, 21:07   #125
BHPian

I was thinking - Since the 100 series is discontinued from most markets, why cant Toyota get the used dies and equipment and manufacture the 100 series here? I'm sure that even this 'old' model is still better then most SUVs here and it would surely find a huge market.
Old 9th June 2009, 21:12   #126
BHPian

i would go for a bmw X5 over this no offence to cruiser boys.lolz

dont get back at me i know LC is king of offroading. but i would want to go 260 kmph on an express highway in an 2.5 tonne SUV lolz. thats how i would like to roll. :P

Last edited by Caramelo : 9th June 2009 at 21:15.
Old 9th June 2009, 22:50   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
No matter how goo, its still has a Toyota badge which stands nowhere comparred to Germans.
As far as capability goes, Cayenne for me is more capable, lightyears ahead on the road, on par if not better off it. After all how many SUV have you seen that can drift on a track!
1) May be Toyota badge cannot stand as compared to Germans, but this is limited to other cars in budget segment. Beyond that Lexus has proven itself and has given nightmares to Germans.
LC is no different. It is one of the most reputed off roaders in the world. UN itself buys LC in good numbers.
2) On the road, nothing comes close to Cayenne for on road capability, not even X5 or Q7, agreed. But Cayenne is not at par with LC as far as off roading goes. LC is quite ahead and is very very well proven.
I dont remember when, but once I read somewhere an article that tested Cayenne agianst Jimmy ( the one presently sold in UK ) for offroading. Jimmy won that round. Yes, we are no one to comment. If more tests are conducted, it might be the other way round, but just an indication that Cayenne was never designed for offroading.
LC is indeed designed keeping in mind off roading.
Old 10th June 2009, 09:20   #128
BHPian

still toyota and that too from toyotabharat. lolz i am sorry but thats funny.

if you dont look at it that way its worth the money. i mean you wont be dissapointed. but the UN people buy the specially designed striped down version. they dont have mettalic paints and 6 dvd players. or 4 zone climate control. i very well doubt that. but spending 81 sounds crazy. why not buy merc S class. this vehicle will be used by actors and filmy personalities. who dont try to go out without thier drivers forget the offroadin.
Old 10th June 2009, 09:36   #129
Senior - BHPian

Pricing is wrong big time. If toyota cant affford to bring it close to 50 lacs range, they shouldnt launch it right now. Mitsubishi Montero sure is a class smaller but look at the kit they throw in for the price.

And no It is not even remotely close to the S-Class in the U.S.A.
Old 10th June 2009, 09:39   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

For people who want the LC name irrespective of the cost, this will be a big help. Of course, today, it has a lot more competition, but the LC name still has a lot of heritage and value. People will buy it.

Personally however, I dont like the looks of this barge!
Old 10th June 2009, 09:54   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) May be Toyota badge cannot stand as compared to Germans, but this is limited to other cars in budget segment. Beyond that Lexus has proven itself and has given nightmares to Germans.
LC is no different. It is one of the most reputed off roaders in the world. UN itself buys LC in good numbers.
This is no Lexus... its a Toyota so we can keep the discussion with Lexus for some other day. One of the most reputed offroaders in the world because the first one came in 1951. The others are infants compared to this but that doesnt mean they are less capable or rugged.

Quote:
2) On the road, nothing comes close to Cayenne for on road capability, not even X5 or Q7, agreed. But Cayenne is not at par with LC as far as off roading goes. LC is quite ahead and is very very well proven.
How much experience do you have with LC and Cayenne driving offroad? Lemme guess... Zilch... but the authoritative tone in the sentence suggests otherwise.
I dont have any experience with both of them but I have seen enough to come to my conclusion.
Why dont you have a look at the video's here before you say anything further.
YouTube - porsche cayenne off road test

Quote:
I dont remember when, but once I read somewhere an article that tested Cayenne agianst Jimmy ( the one presently sold in UK ) for offroading. Jimmy won that round. Yes, we are no one to comment. If more tests are conducted, it might be the other way round, but just an indication that Cayenne was never designed for offroading.
LC is indeed designed keeping in mind off roading.
There will be places where a gypsy would humble even the best of offroaders but thats not the point, its the thing in bold that I am more interested in.
Lockable diffs, Low ratio gearbox, hill descent control, permanent all wheel drive, 218mm ground clearance, towing capacity 7700 pounds.... never designed for offroading? Prove me wrong.
Old 10th June 2009, 11:37   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
1) One of the most reputed offroaders in the world because the first one came in 1951. The others are infants compared to this but that doesnt mean they are less capable or rugged.

2) How much experience do you have with LC and Cayenne driving offroad? Lemme guess... Zilch... but the authoritative tone in the sentence suggests otherwise.
I dont have any experience with both of them but I have seen enough to come to my conclusion.
Why dont you have a look at the video's here before you say anything further.
YouTube - porsche cayenne off road test

3) There will be places where a gypsy would humble even the best of offroaders but thats not the point, its the thing in bold that I am more interested in.
Lockable diffs, Low ratio gearbox, hill descent control, permanent all wheel drive, 218mm ground clearance, towing capacity 7700 pounds.... never designed for offroading? Prove me wrong.
1) It came in 1951 but never forgot that it was built of tough use and terrain. It was never designed for on road performance and neither was it designed to drift at track. Of course this does never implies that others are not capable, but this remain as More capable than others and its something very few can match. Track burning SUV cannot match LC in off roading.

2) I am not so lucky, but I have rather spend a lot of time viewing all those videos and then my authoritative statement came in. Its not matter of one or two videos, but I have read more on internet and also have read in US automags about LC.

3) KDSS ( Kinetic Dynamic Suspension Setup ) for better wheel articulation.
Crawl : Saw video of this.
Easily this proves that others cannot come close to LC.

Once again the point I am trying to chip in simple : LC is one of the best off roader. Its quite good car specially LC200 has received very positive reviews and its onroad performance ( dynamics ) is better than 100 series. Off Roading, very few cars come close to this. Cayenne, Q7, X5 and M-class are not this capable off road.
But Toyota has priced this car very high, instead they should have bought in the Lexus brand.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 10th June 2009 at 11:40.
Old 10th June 2009, 13:25   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

At 81 lakhs, the (very) few numbers it will sell, will only be used on the smoothest of tarmacs in this country. Pity - considering its off-road lineage.
Old 10th June 2009, 16:57   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
At 81 lakhs, the (very) few numbers it will sell, will only be used on the smoothest of tarmacs in this country. Pity - considering its off-road lineage.
In the 4WD Section, I have seen some members brave their Montero 3.2a/X5s/ and Range Rovers on the trail so hopefully someone members with well lined pockets will bring this beauty to an OTR.
Old 17th June 2009, 17:06   #135
BHPian

I saw a brand new 2009 LC on this tuesday, in BLR MG road

Interesting to know that people are willing to pay 80L+ for a car that costs no more than 30L globally.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks