Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2009, 09:50   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
After seeing the 200 series in person, I do think that the 100 is a better looker though (more proportioned?). Whether its the simple Toyota front end or the LX470 conversion jobs.
I agree the 100 looks better than the 200.
Old 21st July 2009, 10:55   #167
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I see a Landcruiser as a companion for life...you buy it once, never to sell it again.
Its very interesting you speak of this. My exposure to the machine left me with just this sentiment, that every home should have an LC!!!

I do agree about the looks. Very rarely do you come across a Japanese vehicle which has arresting looks.

My current fav in the looks dept in the SUV's is the Range Rover Sport. Love its styling. Reliability aside there's always been that air of class about the Range Rovers, which no other SUV manages to strike.
Old 21st July 2009, 15:18   #168
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Now keeping that in mind, coming to the Germans, their R&D capabilities are regarded as one of the best, if not the best, brands like Mercedes Benz and BMW spend more on R&D than any other brand on the planet
German Engineering is amongst the best in the world. Where the marques have really taken a beating is the electronics (never a German stronghold), part quality (squeezing suppliers to their bones) and lack of thorough testing. I mean, when my Merc's engine mounts fail at 50,000 kms (compared to atleast twice as much for the Honda AND the Jeep), that's saying something about the lack of attention in detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I think the older Mercs were better than any Jap when it comes to longivity and reliability.
Ah, old Mercs truly were long-term horses. But don't underestimate the durability of Japs just yet. You'll see more 4,00,000 mile Toyotas & Hondas in the States than VWs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Its very interesting you speak of this. My exposure to the machine left me with just this sentiment, that every home should have an LC!!!

Quote:
My current fav in the looks dept in the SUV's is the Range Rover Sport. Love its styling.
Looks of a rockstar, unfortunately reliability too.
Old 21st July 2009, 18:02   #169
Senior - BHPian

I had a good laugh about the every home should have one comment - with no disrespect intended, I understand where you are coming from. But when a Rs 80 lakhs home is a big stretch on the means of even urban Indians like us on this forum, I couldn't help myself.
Old 21st July 2009, 18:35   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
German Engineering is amongst the best in the world. Where the marques have really taken a beating is the electronics (never a German stronghold), part quality (squeezing suppliers to their bones) and lack of thorough testing. I mean, when my Merc's engine mounts fail at 50,000 kms (compared to atleast twice as much for the Honda AND the Jeep), that's saying something about the lack of attention in detail.
Hard to believe since the attention to detail on any Merc is way beyond our level of thought. Dunno even after thinking long and hard about it, I am not able to pin point the reason.
Old 21st July 2009, 19:02   #171
Senior - BHPian

Again, I suspect that this is a trade off issue as well. When you are building a brand position of being on the cutting edge, something has to give. And as long as these issues remain within acceptable limits, and are attended to reasonably well in service, nothing wrong in it. After all, lots of people would consider Toyotas to be dull and boring. But if you wanted a car to cross deserts, and stake your life on, dull and boring is fine. As it is fine for the commuter mass market base of the brand. But if pose value and being ahead of the joneses is what matters, the Germans and the Italians are preferred. And how many in that segment are interested in cars that run forever, because they would not be able to put up with driving the old model for long anyway. Also, it is all relative - it is not as if these marques are unreliable in ways most people would be affected by.
Old 25th June 2010, 00:39   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Why no test drive or road test of the landcruiser?
GTO ,u listening?
Old 29th April 2012, 00:14   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: ALL RISE! Toyota Landcruiser coming to India EDIT: Launched at 81 lakhs

Know it's a highly niche model for india and is not european, but still, no TD or review of the LC???
Old 29th April 2012, 14:35   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Know it's a highly niche model for india and is not european, but still, no TD or review of the LC???

All we have is this :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...v8-amazon.html

The car is the same one used by ACI in their drive.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2012, 15:53   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
All we have is this :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...v8-amazon.html

The car is the same one used by ACI in their drive.
Thanks aaggoswami for the reply , but am already aware of the thread above. I meant any plans for an official review of the LC.
It's highly niche here, but then i see reviews like the Volvo S60, Evo X and E class coupe, so the LC too deserves to be here though it's 2 years since launch in India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks