Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2009, 12:05   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
What sort of a number is that? GJW?? AFAIK, Gujarat is GJ! And, there cannot be two different numbers after the state code, it should be number and then alphabet right?

GJW is a temporary registration number in gujarat. If they want to take it to other state before actual number comes.
Old 8th April 2009, 12:06   #107
Senior - BHPian

Is it possible that the registration belongs to the armed forces ? They use letters like that as well as arrows and stars. Oh, SirAlec has already provided us with the answer to that one !

Last edited by kannan666 : 8th April 2009 at 12:07.
Old 8th April 2009, 12:12   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
What sort of a number is that? GJW?? AFAIK, Gujarat is GJ! And, there cannot be two different numbers after the state code, it should be number and then alphabet right?
I was also confused to see such a number.
If anybody can give more info on the same.
Attached the pic of the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Indian States Registration Number Identification-nhc.jpg  

Old 7th May 2009, 21:18   #109
BHPian

Hey wow! Just yesterday I saw a new white car with a 3-letter state code like the one above in north Delhi. The code began with U.

It didn't occur to me that it could be a big deal, so I didn't pay much attention. As a result I can't even remember the car's make or model, let alone the registration I just remember it being white and a late-model sedan.

But I'm looking forward to hearing the explanation!

EDIT: Oh, didn't see SirAlec's post there. So it wasn't a big deal after all. Hehe.

Last edited by Perakath : 7th May 2009 at 21:20.
Old 7th May 2009, 22:56   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithinnarayanan View Post
Saw a black Honda city NHC with a weird registration number ( GJW 1 07 B XXXX ) near vidhansoudha(Bangalore).

Any idea about the series GJW ??
I don’t think it is a temp registration as the car was looking pretty old (2-3 years)
this series is specifically used for commercial vehicles transporting public . I have seen many autos and mini buses registered with GJW series
Old 8th May 2009, 10:20   #111
BHPian

Saw this taxi today while driving down to work, the numbers were embossed but I think the black stickering on the embossed digits fell off, being a taxi I guess this company has no quality checks, even the traffic police is too lazy to do anything, God save this city (Hyderabad)
Attached Thumbnails
Indian States Registration Number Identification-taxi-hyd.jpg  

Old 8th May 2009, 10:51   #112
Senior - BHPian

The codes for Goa are as follows
GA-01-North Goa
GA-02-South Goa
Both have been discontinued and now every RTO has its own Code.
GA-03-Mapusa
GA-04-Bicholim
GA-05-Ponda
GA-06-Vasco-Da-Gama
GA-07-Panjim (Capital)
GA-08-Margao
GA-09-Quepem

Normally A-S was for private vehicles and T-Z was for public. With a few exceptions of course. GA-01-Y was a private series. Usually 2 wheelers and 4 wheelers had separate series except in the first couple of years when 0001-4999 was 2 wheelers and 5000-9999 was 4 wheelers. The new series is also messed up. GA-07-F is public vehicles in Panjim and GA-03-K is public vehicles in Mapusa. F & K are supposed to be for private vehicles.

The G series is reserved for Govt. vehicles and X series for the state transport (Kadamba Transport Corporation).

The old series was GDA-GDZ. GDB & GDQ were for Daman & Diu when it was the UT of Goa, Daman & Diu. GDM & GDR were temp registrations. For a short while we have GGA,GGB,GGC,GGE,GGF,GGG &GGH.

I don't know why we can't have a uniform system all over India.
Old 10th May 2009, 11:37   #113
BHPian

pedrolourenco,
Very interesting about the old Goa codes. I believe that GDX 1 upwards was reserved for the KTC (from 1980 onwards).

In the current system am I right that there are reserved letters for 2 wheelers? I am pretty sure GA01 and GA02 reserved L and N for 2 wheelers. Where there any others you know of?

I presume that GDR is still used as a temporoary registration? I found this picture on the www taken in 2006. Am I right that they started GA03 to GA09 in 2008?

Many thanks
Cedric
Attached Thumbnails
Indian States Registration Number Identification-ind-1989-ga02gdr1853-goa-commuk-photo-122006.jpg  

Old 10th May 2009, 15:02   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabinesnubbing View Post
pedrolourenco,
Very interesting about the old Goa codes. I believe that GDX 1 upwards was reserved for the KTC (from 1980 onwards).

In the current system am I right that there are reserved letters for 2 wheelers? I am pretty sure GA01 and GA02 reserved L and N for 2 wheelers. Where there any others you know of?

I presume that GDR is still used as a temporoary registration? I found this picture on the www taken in 2006. Am I right that they started GA03 to GA09 in 2008?

Many thanks
Cedric
GA-01-N was 4 wheelers (Mapusa)
GA-02-N was 2 wheelers (Margao)

Earlier temp numbers were GDM (private) and GDR (public). The photo shows GA-02-GDR which indicates a dealership in south Goa.

The GA-03 - GA-09 series started much before 2008.
Old 10th May 2009, 16:42   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuchan View Post
Example for Kottayam, it was KLK, KLO, KRK, KRO, KEK, KEO. I think KEO was the last in that type of numbers and then it moved to KL-05 series.
In Ernakulam district the chronological order was: KLE, KLF, KRE, KRF, KEE, KEF, KBE, KBF, KCE, KCF, KDE, KDF. The KDF series had only a few hundred registrations by which time the KL-07 system came into effect.
Old 10th May 2009, 16:43   #116
BHPian

MYB XXXX This is for Mysore state (now karnataka). Could be Bangalore.
Old 10th May 2009, 16:59   #117
Senior - BHPian

Saw a Matiz at Electra Performance. Had a number plate DL 3 SS XXXX. Weird.
Old 10th May 2009, 17:05   #118
BHPian

Originally the firstb 2 Apphabets ie. KL_ was for Kerala & the 3rd Alphabet was for the district. ie KLA for Alappey, KLT for Trivandrum, KLE for ernakulam, KLM for Malappuram, KLQ for Quilon, KLP for Palaghat etc. After 9999, the 2nd Alphabet L was replaced by R KR_XXXX till 9999.
Old 10th May 2009, 18:34   #119
BHPian

Order for Ernakulam district

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
In Ernakulam district the chronological order was: KLE, KLF, KRE, KRF, KEE, KEF, KBE, KBF, KCE, KCF, KDE, KDF. The KDF series had only a few hundred registrations by which time the KL-07 system came into effect.
Would like to add that KLC was first series for Ernakulam district
Old 11th May 2009, 17:16   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijuvarghese View Post
Would like to add that KLC was first series for Ernakulam district
Actually KLC was first series for Calicut district, and KLE was first series for Ernakulam district.
Regards
Sathish

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks