Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2010, 16:31   #316
BHPian

I agree with GTO.
The swift is one of the best designed cars and still looks good on road in spite of her age.When she is selling so well there is no chance of price deduction by any means.
The swift sells in more numbers than even the Ritz which has the same engine and was much recently launched.
Old 5th February 2010, 16:38   #317
Senior - BHPian

well, nobody is forcing you to buy the swift. When you are faced with an inelastic demand, you can get away with things like these
Old 5th February 2010, 16:46   #318
Team-BHP Support

Swift is one of the very few cars whose prices didn't go up this new year! As far as i can see, Maruti took the excise benefits for themselves and decided not to increases prices!

Would anybody here have been crying, had they increased the prices in January and decreased it again in february saying excise benefits?

Similar news-

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th February 2010 at 16:48.
Old 5th February 2010, 17:04   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashishd View Post
Hi Fellow members,

I too have booked my Swift ZXI K series 2 weeks ago
Thanks
Congratts for you New K series Swift!!!. by the way did you test drive the NEW Swift K series engine?

if Yes. Could you post your test drive Exp on the test drive and reviews Threads?
Old 5th February 2010, 17:14   #320
Senior - BHPian

How much did Maruti saved by paying 8% excise duty instead of 20%?
And how much price increase was expected on Swift, I mean comparing price increase on other Maruti cars?
Old 5th February 2010, 17:14   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Swift is one of the very few cars whose prices didn't go up this new year! As far as i can see, Maruti took the excise benefits for themselves and decided not to increases prices!

Would anybody here have been crying, had they increased the prices in January and decreased it again in february saying excise benefits?
Agree.

There margin on old swift was not high (not in league of margin on i10 and i20). And now since they invested heavily on new K12 engine they should atleast increase the margin on their portfolio to cover up the R&D cost.

I still don't think it is overpriced vehicle. If Hyundai can sell their overpriced products (i20, i10) in good numbers then why not Maruti can sell their VFM products with better profit margins.

Also think on the lines that if Maruti profitability increases then they will spend more on R&D and improving the product quality. They have already started hiring aggressively for their R&D hub in sonepat.
Old 5th February 2010, 17:21   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by erohit View Post
Agree.

There margin on old swift was not high (not in league of margin on i10 and i20). And now since they invested heavily on new K12 engine they should atleast increase the margin on their portfolio to cover up the R&D cost.

I still don't think it is overpriced vehicle. If Hyundai can sell their overpriced products (i20, i10) in good numbers then why not Maruti can sell their VFM products with better profit margins.

Also think on the lines that if Maruti profitability increases then they will spend more on R&D and improving the product quality. They have already started hiring aggressively for their R&D hub in sonepat.
Hyundai is overpriced but not Maruti?? Any reasons to say like that?
For me both are slightly overpriced

Both companies have rocked the sales charts over the years and still could not make a true VFM product. I am comparing them to GM,to be specific to BEAT
Old 5th February 2010, 17:23   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashishd View Post
Hi Fellow members,
If I make it to the yard tomorrow, I will try my best to take pics and answer some of the questions everyone has viz. - Interiors (dashboard), Transmission etc.
Thanks
Congrats on the Buy! One of the earliest owner of the new Swift.!
I'll certainly ask you to get the Brochure and upload it. And dont forget the interior pics!!
And if you dont get those then be ready to be killed by a spoon. You've lit the fire :P
Old 5th February 2010, 17:26   #324
Senior - BHPian

I think that the reason stated by Maruti is correct that G series was old, and this K series is newer so cost of manufacturing would be higher for K series motor.
I doubt if the article is honest, but I then Maruti can play power card, isn't it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Is Swift under 4 meters length?
Yes it is. Dzire is not.
Old 5th February 2010, 17:55   #325
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
I am comparing them to GM,to be specific to BEAT
Chevy BEAT pricing is still introductory, and GM is "desperate" to make the vehicle a hit. Expect the prices to be revised upwards once it meets their sales targets (which it soon will, by the looks of it!).

I do agree that BEAT is absolute VFM at current prices.
Old 5th February 2010, 18:12   #326
Distinguished - BHPian

Think from Maruti's perspective,
  1. Is the Swift a best seller? Yes
  2. Is the K-Series engine better than the old gen engine? Yes
  3. Is the car overpriced - No way. That's the feedback from the market.
  4. Have the production costs increased? Yes
  5. How many people will even know about the excise duty benefit absorption by the company? 1/10
In this scenario, I don't expect Maruti to play Santa Claus here!

Edit: A price reduction would also create more havoc wrt Ritz-Swift pricing.

Last edited by kiku007 : 5th February 2010 at 18:16.
Old 5th February 2010, 18:17   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhanshu View Post
And dont forget the interior pics!!

As far as i have heard, the interiors are not changed on Big Deal!!!. its as same as the old except the illuminated Music Keys on the wheel
Old 5th February 2010, 18:34   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
well, nobody is forcing you to buy the swift. When you are faced with an inelastic demand, you can get away with things like these
I completely agree to this. The laws of economics finally applied! Its always been a sellers market. Lets just hope that Maruti does not get carried away with this and start neglecting potential clients!
Old 5th February 2010, 18:45   #329

Hey Vibhanshu and Magnamous, ironically I test drove the Fabia, Punto (D & P), i20, Astar and Ritz but not the Swift LOL (the new K Series wasn't available with any of the dealers)
I booked within a couple of days of the news of the K Series launch hitting the stands. I guess this is the reason I am getting it soon.
About the pics, I need to make a brave trip all the way to Bhiwandi in Mumbai traffic, although I am very excited and have a feeling I'll be there tomorrow
Old 5th February 2010, 19:03   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
A price reduction would also create more havoc wrt Ritz-Swift pricing.
+1 to that. Swift has a list of people waiting for 3 months in line and that too after paying a premium. Why would maruthi reduce the price. Maruthi want to take the R&D cost of the k series engine sooner than expected at the expense of customer .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks