Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2005, 14:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

Which are India's safest cars?

Which are India's safest cars?

Most Indian cars (except Honda CR-V, Swift, Nissan X-trail etc.) are not meeting NCAP safety standards, says this very good report....

http://www.bsmotoring.com/2005/aug20_1.htm
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2005, 20:20   #2
BHPian

Hyundai Getz

Hyundai getz gets 4 stars in Passanger and chile protection and 1 for pedestrain.

But mind you this is one with the airbags . Indian getz does not have airbags.

I tried to explore the possibility of ordering one specially at extra price but dealer refused whuile numerous posts on the Hyundai website and their marketting guys remain unanswered.
Old 23rd August 2005, 20:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

What about the Mercs? They should be the safest.

Shan2nu
Old 23rd August 2005, 20:47   #4
BHPian

ya youre right
the c class gets 5 stars and so does the renault megane
Old 23rd August 2005, 22:30   #5
BHPian

I would give a 10/10 to Tata Safari from the Safety perspective..
Old 23rd August 2005, 22:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

I'm sure Safari is built like a tank and is safe in a head on collision.

But what about body roll. When I drove the 1 gen Safari it had quite a bit of body roll and in a severe moose type manuever, I am sure it'll be dangerously close to toppling over, where as most sedans would have no probs.
Old 24th August 2005, 01:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
But what about body roll. When I drove the 1 gen Safari it had quite a bit of body roll and in a severe moose type manuever, I am sure it'll be dangerously close to toppling over, where as most sedans would have no probs.
That is because it is built as SUV and not a sedan. So, you can not expect to do manuevers like a sedan. It can topple more easily, but question is, will it be safe after toppling? Most probably yes, if you have put on seat belts.

How come I don't seem to see Fiat cars here? Afterall they are supposed to have tank like build.
Old 24th August 2005, 01:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but question is, will it be safe after toppling? Most probably yes, if you have put on seat belts.
my neighbour owns TATA Safari & once he managed to roll it (due to some incident) & to surprise the car held together very well just the foot rest (located outside just below door - whatever they call it) was damaged & nothing else
no one in the car got hurt
Old 24th August 2005, 02:29   #9
BHPian

Excellent find there sandeepmdas .

Yes most of our indian cars are not safe at all . But my ques is why should they be ?

I mean , whosoever i ve ever had a talk about the cars(no matter how knowledgeable/educated the guy is about cars) , i dont remember i ve seen enough people talking bout the safety features and asking bout those crash ratings ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas
Most Indian cars (except Honda CR-V, Swift, Nissan X-trail etc.) are not meeting NCAP safety standards
It wont be possible until and unless people either experience or become mature enough to realise that theres lot more to a car except for the looks , FE and the powertrain !

I read somewhere to succeed in india "Give indians what they want not what they should ve " and i think our indian auto industry is just sticking to that theory and very rightly so coz they are there to make business not to teach . Personally , i dont blame Auto manfucturers for this , its just that we need to ask first only then we ll get it !

p.s IMO we should talk more about such things at Team-bhp to educate others and at the same time get educated (its not that we dont , but we dont do much either) rather than the 0-100 kms in ??? No offence meant though ...
Old 24th August 2005, 07:24   #10
Team-BHP Support

I feel safe in ANY car which has a set of seat belts, good brakes, proper tyres, all mechanicals and electricals in working condition. And most importantly I feel safe when I drive at steady 40-60kmph in city be it driving a Maruti, a Skoda or a Merc....

Last edited by moralfibre : 24th August 2005 at 07:36.
Old 24th August 2005, 09:08   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish
I would give a 10/10 to Tata Safari from the Safety perspective..
Don't be so optimistic about Tata Safari, Recently in kerala there had an accident between a TATA Safari and a TATA truck, The three passengers on the TATA Safari was dead on the spot. Unfortunately this accident was a preplanned one the POLICE is behind the culprits...
Old 24th August 2005, 09:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

these one incidents dont matter ...what counts is the overall safety of such cars ..i that case Lady Diana died in an S class accident ..

Scorpio is one car which has no crash worthiness ...there was no crash testing done during the development of the car ...
Old 24th August 2005, 09:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer
I mean , whosoever i ve ever had a talk about the cars(no matter how knowledgeable/educated the guy is about cars) , i dont remember i ve seen enough people talking bout the safety features and asking bout those crash ratings ...

I read somewhere to succeed in india "Give indians what they want not what they should ve " and i think our indian auto industry is just sticking to that theory and very rightly so coz they are there to make business not to teach . Personally , i dont blame Auto manfucturers for this , its just that we need to ask first only then we ll get it !

p.s IMO we should talk more about such things at Team-bhp to educate others and at the same time get educated (its not that we dont , but we dont do much either) rather than the 0-100 kms in ??? No offence meant though ...
Only courts can help the public. The emission and pollution standards that are in effect today are envisaged by the a series of important court rulings, esp. addressing several public interest litigations about the NCR. As a result people are more and more aware about it. My friend bought an Euro3 zen last week, though in Kerala you need only Euro2.

Let us hope there will be a similar move -in the near future- towards safety standards and guidelines also.
Old 24th August 2005, 10:15   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre
I feel safe in ANY car which has a set of seat belts, good brakes, proper tyres, all mechanicals and electricals in working condition. And most importantly I feel safe when I drive at steady 40-60kmph in city be it driving a Maruti, a Skoda or a Merc....
Even though its great that you are a safe driver...but remember most of the times it may not be your mistake when you end up with a crash.

Also IMO it is really important to have good safe cars manufactured in the country rather than just imported. The main reason why we dont have it is because here we dont think beyond FE figures and looks before we buy cars. FE figures are high for cars which have a low weight, but the same affects safety which then takes a back seat.

Personally Safety is not top priority for me while buying a car. Probably that explains the loyalty for Tata.

Last edited by nishant_kingpin : 24th August 2005 at 10:29.
Old 24th August 2005, 10:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

spoken the truth there bro ...
as long as you are alert and LUCKY you are safe
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks