Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2005, 10:56   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant_kingpin
Even though its great that you are a safe driver...but remember most of the times it may not be your mistake when you end up with a crash.
In this scenario I would love to be in a FIAT Palio/Petra/Adventure/Siena....
Old 24th August 2005, 12:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre
In this scenario I would love to be in a FIAT Palio/Petra/Adventure/Siena....
Oh no. Not again ....

But yeah, I concur.
Old 24th August 2005, 15:34   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj
Don't be so optimistic about Tata Safari, Recently in kerala there had an accident between a TATA Safari and a TATA truck, The three passengers on the TATA Safari was dead on the spot. Unfortunately this accident was a preplanned one the POLICE is behind the culprits...
Oh okay, in that case, i vote for the TATA truck.. heh heh just kidding..
Old 24th August 2005, 23:27   #19

I'm eagerly awatin Volvo's launch in India, hope they dont

compromise on safety , since thats one of their ESP of being one

of the safest car manufacturer in the world.

As amongst the current cars must be the Skodas.
Old 24th August 2005, 23:43   #20
Senior - BHPian

I am not so sure about Volvo being the safest cars of the world. Sweden has had one of the bigges recalls of cars in the past with S 80. It was famous there as the death car.
Old 25th August 2005, 00:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

I FEEL very safe in the Safari, but how much of that feeling translates into actual safety on the road is not known. The Safari SHOULD have been crash-tested since it sells in Europe and Australia where they cant sell without revealing safety ratings. It does come with very strong side impact bars (which weigh a ton), anti-sub seats, collapsible steering etc but then its a 10 lakh car that doesnt come with ABS (neither does the Skoda at 2 lakhs more).

HOWEVER, I think this arguement is pointless for ONE reason - as long as we have roads that arent built to any safety standards (unmarked humps, unexpected dips, blind curves on national highways, no proper drainage or lighting, etc) or drivers who are totally indisciplined and totally inconsiderate it doesnt matter what car you drive - you're still in danger.

Safety on our roads is not the sole responsibility of the car manufacturers - let the government do its bit by enforcing some rules, starting with the number of headlamps you are supposed to have on a vehicle, auto-dippers, WORKING tail lamps, NO airhorns etc and also by penalising boorish behaviour on the roads. We have quite a few dual-carriage highways, but whats the point - with the kind of A*****ES we have on our roads even 10 lane highways wont serve any purpose. People drive as they please, some doing 20 kmph on the fast lane, others overtaking through the left, slow-moving trucks that refuse to move from the fast lane, bikers who drive on the middle of any lane they please and weave in between, autorickshaws that try to overtake buses on the highway, autorickshaws that do an about turn right in front of you, pig-headed wanna-be racers who accelerate just as you're about to pass them, cyclists who cut across the highway, scooterists who push their vehicle between the medians in a bid to short-cut their routes, Scorpio drivers who drive up to everyones rear windscreen to flash their headlamps into your rearview, buses that cut across from the fast lane to the slow lane to stop and unload passengers in the middle of that lane, Ashok Leylands with "Volvo" painted on their backsides and take it seriously, and LCVs with 4 headlamps and 2 foglamps on....

You really think ABS, TCS, roll-cages and s**t like that can protect you on the lunatic asylum that our roads resemble????????
Old 25th August 2005, 00:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
You really think ABS, TCS, roll-cages and s**t like that can protect you on the lunatic asylum that our roads resemble????????
Boy, you covered almost all possible options! But, being on such insecure roads all the time makes it more imperative that we have a safer car. If you know you wont crash on safe roads, half the importance of having safety measures is reduced. But with so many innovatives options to crash, you need even better security measures. (How about driving in car wearing a helmet? )

Last edited by RX135 : 25th August 2005 at 01:03.
Old 25th August 2005, 17:27   #23
BHPian

I drive a Getz and recetly had a pretty bad accident. My car's front bumper, bonnet, right fender, radiator support grill and radiator all were smashed. But I didn't get as much as a jerk. The car feels solid. The thinness of A and C pillar hampers driveability though.

\N
Old 25th August 2005, 17:36   #24
Senior - BHPian

Steeroid, couldn't have put it any better than this. Yes, with all the safety ratings, what if there are no safe roads/infrastructure? Anyways, these are just ratings. There can be many scenerios for which a car is not being tested. How all these ratings translate into actual safety is anybody's guess.
Old 5th February 2010, 16:33   #25
BHPian

I used to own a TATA Estate till a few years ago. Boy where they safe! It was built like a truck. And unlike the safari or its predecessor the Sierra this was not a tall boy and thus was planted to the roads. You can try anything and it stuck to the tarmac no chance of any topple.

Now am restoring a W124 one of the most safest cars currently running (still running) on Indian Roads
Old 5th February 2010, 19:28   #26
BHPian

Any car is safe as long as the driver is safe and alert according to me. Why make unnecessary last minute maneuvers while overtaking, sudden braking and lane cutting. But as far as NCAP ratings are considered, its teh foreign brands which rule. Mercedes has a 5 star rating. Swift is pedestrian friendly! Thats good news!
Remember: ALWAYS WEAR SEAT BELT!
Old 6th February 2010, 02:53   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
Any car is safe as long as the driver is safe and alert according to me. Why make unnecessary last minute maneuvers while overtaking, sudden braking and lane cutting.
+1 to that. A car is as safe as its driver. A good driver always knows the limit of his/her car and also knows a rash driving to save a second them of their life.
Old 6th February 2010, 03:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

This the Skoda does win hands down !!!

Although right now I'm not a Skoda fan , When it comes to safety i feel Skoda is much better than a Merc even. I've had an accident on 2008 dec in my laura, which crashed at 160 where both me and my cousin escaped it without a scratch. We didn't even have our seat belts on that day. The accidents pic is posted somewhere on the accidents in India thread.

Besides this I've hear from many people who've survived crash's in a Skoda but at the same time were unfortunate in a Benz. Guess Skoda is better than Benz atleast in the safety front.

Last edited by stanjohn123 : 6th February 2010 at 03:29. Reason: Gramatical Error
Old 6th February 2010, 10:44   #29
BHPian

I partially agree with Milecruncher & Rjalihal! Yes it matter to be a safe driver first and not drive rashly. But you cannot be sure of every other driver on the road. I have a had instances where I am parked at the traffic signal and a bad driver just backed his jeep into my car damaging the whole bonnet & radiator of my wagon R and similarly had a sumo brush past my estate while I was filling Gas and he had some damage instead of mine.

Given the crazy traffic and the number of novice drivers its still matters to be in a safe car like the 124.
Old 6th February 2010, 23:24   #30
BANNED

1. do airbag works even at low speed, e.g. if the car srashes at 20-30 kmph?
2. are the airbags of indian cars ( e.g scorpio or Manza ) safe ? Once i saw on Car program in TV , that it will difficult to wear the seat belts on a Indigo .
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks