Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2015, 17:24   #166
BHPian

Re: Which are India's safest cars?

Folks does anyone have an idea about how safe the Hyundai Xcent is? I know the Grand i10 scored zilch in crash tests, but is the xcent any different?
Old 4th November 2015, 17:57   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
Folks does anyone have an idea about how safe the Hyundai Xcent is? I know the Grand i10 scored zilch in crash tests, but is the xcent any different?
It will fare exactly the same.
d3mon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 20:15   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
No proof as of yet but my personal experience with this " G-Con" car has given me my benefit of doubt. Why don't you tour the body shop once? Might sound like "in the air advice" when we can't judge how hard was the hit but you will observe that these cars crumple too easily even if they have the so called crumple zones.

Already answered that ped safety thing before.
And that Fradeen Khan case isn't alone. I've come across a lot of 3rd Gen Ivtec's which have been squished from behind,mine included. I guess they have a natural tendency to turn into Jazz.

+1

Our previous car, a Hyundai Santro was involved in a high speed read ending accident. Dad stopped our car at a signal and there was a Honda City in front of us.

A Tata Indica taxi rear ended our car at a speed of at least 40-50 kmph . Our car moved and hit the Honda City in front. Our car had the primary impact but the Honda City 's boot had caved in by at least 1-1.5 feet. Shocking.

I would search for the pics and post them if I can get hold of them.

Last edited by Ragavsr : 4th November 2015 at 20:18.
Old 4th November 2015, 21:09   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
<snip>
If Honda can build a light weight car where the passenger shell is not compromised, then we can then talk.
What would be the fault with Honda's 2014 City Thailand Model?

Let us not worry about pedestrian safety, just the occupants for discussion's sake because they are the ones inside the shell whose integrity we are doubting. We can leave out the stars and the COP for time being, the high AOP value means the two dummies managed to survive the standard crash test, the shell did not disintegrate.

Would you mind explaining how this car manage to beat the sturdier Ford Fiesta (albeit by just 0.07 points) in the same test? The Ford packs more iron, claimed to better in build quality and is of the same vehicle class. The logic beats me! Honda City 2014 Thailand model's AOP score of 15.8 vs the 15.73 of the 2011 Thailand Ford Fiesta.

Source: http://www.aseancap.org/

PS: 2014 Thai Honda Jazz does a lot better than the much heavier and sturdier 2013 Malaysian VW Polo.

Last edited by sun_king : 4th November 2015 at 21:10. Reason: Typo.
Old 4th November 2015, 21:17   #170
Senior - BHPian

I would add the S Cross to the list of the safest cars in India, if it is not already mentioned by anyone.

By no means, it is a typical Maruti car. The build quality is really good. The metal sheet thickness is great and the doors, bonnet lid, boot lid and all the metallic parts are sturdy and heavy. When I saw the S Cross first time, my SA told me to lift and hold the bonnet lid. IT was seriously one heavy and sturdy thing !

BTW, S Cross also received 5 star rating at the ASEAN NCAP tests.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 21:25   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun_king View Post
What would be the fault with Honda's 2014 City Thailand Model?

Would you mind explaining how this car manage to beat the sturdier Ford Fiesta (albeit by just 0.07 points) in the same test? The Ford packs more iron, claimed to better in build quality and is of the same vehicle class. The logic beats me! Honda City 2014 Thailand model's AOP score of 15.8 vs the 15.73 of the 2011 Thailand Ford Fiesta.
Irrelevant in India. I remember when the new swift came out, people here argued that it's as safe as a Polo since it scored 5 stars as well. Did that happen? The chassis of the Thai City has to be made up of better quality steel. FYI, the steel used in Polo isn't thick, just of good quality. Japanese cars are known for their build quality in the west, why is it the opposite here?
And lastly, all cars are designed to pass crash tests. The city is a newer car and hence fared better with the current test parameters. Real world crashes may not be similar to the tests and don't you feel a better built car will have an advantage in an untested scenario?

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th November 2015 at 00:17. Reason: Please quote selectively as a large quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Doge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 21:36   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I would add the S Cross to the list of the safest cars in India, if it is not already mentioned by anyone.

BTW, S Cross also received 5 star rating at the ASEAN NCAP tests.
That was Hungary manufactured S-Cross for Singapore and Malaysian market. The Indian S-Cross will definitely fair poor.
Old 4th November 2015, 21:59   #173

A couple of years back, my Optra was hit by an auto from behind. The impact was such that I almost had a whiplash injury and the auto rolled several times. You know what, the rear bumper had one small dent!
Singh7771 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2015, 07:22   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh7771 View Post
A couple of years back, my Optra was hit by an auto from behind. The impact was such that I almost had a whiplash injury and the auto rolled several times. You know what, the rear bumper had one small dent!

+1

A perfect real life experience which should clarify to some folks trying to equate occupant safety with no damage to vehicle, vehicle weight, sheet metal thickness.
Old 5th November 2015, 09:13   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
+1

A perfect real life experience which should clarify to some folks trying to equate occupant safety with no damage to vehicle, vehicle weight, sheet metal thickness.
Leave the crumple zones aside, if you think the occupant safety is not related to the strength of the passenger shell, good for you.

But I wouldn't trust my life with such a vehicle.

Last edited by Ragavsr : 5th November 2015 at 09:19.
Old 5th November 2015, 09:37   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rselva View Post
That was Hungary manufactured S-Cross for Singapore and Malaysian market. The Indian S-Cross will definitely fair poor.
I will agree to an extent. But for sure, the S Cross is one of the best built cars in the country. I will dare to say that it is very close to the German build quality, if not as good.
Old 5th November 2015, 13:08   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will agree to an extent. But for sure, the S Cross is one of the best built cars in the country. I will dare to say that it is very close to the German build quality, if not as good.
What's the basis of this statement? Have you seen the crash test report for the S cross sold in India? If yes, please share it here. If not seen, then you can't be sure about it being one of the best built cars in the country, and this statement of yours is not based on facts but on perception.

I for one will believe the safety only when I see the crash test results.
Old 5th November 2015, 22:59   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
Leave the crumple zones aside, if you think the occupant safety is not related to the strength of the passenger shell, good for you.

But I wouldn't trust my life with such a vehicle.

The passenger cocoon stays protected because the bumpers and other crumple zones take and absorb the impact despite all the "weak/light metal" talk being dished around. But I wish good luck to to those who would rather save their bumpers than themselves, not to miss whiplash which occurs when impacts not absorbed.
Old 5th November 2015, 23:40   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Though I respect your POV. But I think that is a huge statement to make. It is indeed the best built car to come from Maruti, but no where close to be amongst the best in the country or anywhere near the Germans. Even a Polo feels leagues ahead to the S-Cross.
Old 6th November 2015, 09:05   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
The passenger cocoon stays protected because the bumpers and other crumple zones take and absorb the impact despite all the "weak/light metal" talk being dished around. But I wish good luck to to those who would rather save their bumpers than themselves, not to miss whiplash which occurs when impacts not absorbed.
You won't seem to get the point at all.

The crumple zones and bumpers crumbling WILL NOT protect the passenger cocoon in major accidents. The passenger shells of Honda cars have also crumbled along with the crumple zones killing the occupants meaning that the passenger shell is weak.

If the bumpers and crumple zones are enough , why even have a passenger shell?

Please stop arguing as if only Hondas are the only cars built with crumple zones. Every modern car has them.

People bothered about safety are not bothered about bumpers crumbing when it is needed. But the bumpers in Hondas are so cheaply built that they crumble in even a 5-10 kmph collision.

Mind you, there is no sort of whiplash in 5-10 kmph accidents. If I owned an insurance company, I would raise rated for Hondas because of the poor passenger shell safety and the cheap bumpers getting crumpled at irrelevant speeds resulting in higher claims. My Figo for example has flexible bumpers which can withstand 10 kmph crashes without deforming permanently.

This is the car in which Fardeen Khan 's relative died. She died because the passenger shell also crumpled along with the bumpers and crumple zones.
Attached Thumbnails
Which are India's safest cars?-article210731411f323ca000005dc867_468x286.jpg  

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks