Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2009, 17:02   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
These are similar to Punto, it also has 5.3 m turning radius. I'd say its not a pain to drive in city and negotiate narrow lane turns, but its a pain to take U turns. Since I have not driven any car with a turning radius less that 4.9m extensively, I am pretty much used to this.

I will still say that the turning radius is too high for a small car under 4 m. Punto is not the benchmark !
Someone rightly pointed out that much bigger vehicles like Scorpio takes tighter turns.

In cities like Bangalore where the roads are narrow and one ways I foresee a challenge driving & parking this.

Ground Clearance again is low compared to all the other small cars. VW knows that & that’s why they provided an engine guard. Low ground clearance is a sure recipe for major damages on Indian roads.

With all the safety features VW wants to attract customers and divert attention from the lousy 1.2 engine. Overall I am not that exited with this product.

Will take a call after seeing some test reports & owner feedbacks. A good diesel engine is definitely required for a grand success.
Old 29th December 2009, 17:51   #47
BHPian

The pricing definitely looks very conservative, not sure if VW wants to draw the mass crowd to queue up at their showrooms with the amount of expecatitons they set with their heavy-impact-paper ad. Low price means definite crowd puller. It won't be long before they re-visit their price
Old 29th December 2009, 18:03   #48
BHPian

Thanks Sidindica again.

Disappointed with the Trendline. Completely disappointed. Hoping to see some Comfortline and Highline specs information in the Auto Expo. I am not sure when this is going to be released. I have waited long enough already for this Polo.

Safety features look good but WHY the engine? Maybe a impartial TD would give a clearer picture.
Old 29th December 2009, 18:34   #49
BHPian

I quite liked the specs except the engine. I am eagerly waiting for Polo. If 3 pot 1.2l is the engine then surely I am not going to go for it. Look at the competition... all (barring Punto ?) are out with their latest generation 4 pot 1.2l engines.
Old 29th December 2009, 18:38   #50
BHPian

^^^^^^^
Can some one throw light on 3pot vs 4pot?
Differences/Advantages?
Educated Description if any?
Old 29th December 2009, 18:45   #51
Team-BHP Support

But what are they doing about dealership & service?
err- 3 pot=3 cylinders
4 pot= 4 cylinders,
3 pot will give you better economy, the trade off being low torque(this was all a lay man's definition)

Last edited by Sheel : 29th December 2009 at 18:50.
Old 29th December 2009, 18:45   #52
BHPian

How does the Polo at 5.25 compare with a Punto 1.4 Emotion at the same price? Except for the airbags, doesn't the Punto offer a lot more features?
Old 29th December 2009, 18:56   #53
BHPian

dissapointed that the diesel would not be launched early ,i was waiting for volks to announce their specs before booking my car .. now its back to fiat or dzire
Old 29th December 2009, 19:06   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Great as usual. Team-bhp is the first to bring up the specs of a car that would be launched. Thanks Sid.

4.5 lacs is on the lower side with the equipment mentioned by Sid. Hope they price it at this. But VW as a brand would want a bit of premium. Lets wait and see. Petrol versions may be priced less but definitely the diesel will be atleast 80K more version wise.
Old 29th December 2009, 19:09   #55
BHPian

Came across this review of the 1.2 SE Polo in Autocar UK.
Volkswagen Polo 1.2 SE - Autocar.co.uk

They haven't complained too much about the engine - citing a gruff note at higher speeds. In fact with average fuel consumption figures of 17 kpl they do acknowledge an efficient engine.
IMO we should wait for a TD before we start bashing the little car. The car seems to be intelligently packaged. I was never a fan of chrome bells and whistles and body coloured door handles / mirrors that car companies seem to trumpet about these days. And music systems are best left for people to decide on depending on their preference and passion for music. ABS, EBD, aibags, alloys make a lot of sense to me.
I think Volkswagen have shown a remarkable presence of mind with the packaging of this car.

Last edited by Anthym : 29th December 2009 at 19:10.
Old 29th December 2009, 19:09   #56
BHPian

Just quick compilation of turning radius of different models to put things in perspective. I remember my neighbouring officer owner having trouble in getting out his Palio (turning radius of 5.2m) out of our small street.

Fiat Punto 5.4m
Fiat Palio 5.2m

Maruti Swift 4.7m
Maruti Ritz 4.7m
Maruti Sx4 5.3m

Honda Jazz 4.9m
Honda City 4.9m

Hyundai i10 4.75m
Hyundai i20 5.2m

Toyota Innova 5.4m
Old 29th December 2009, 19:10   #57
BHPian

Quite a disappointment. The pathetic engine, boring interiors, lack of features (automatic climate control, fog lamps, powered ORVMs, rear disc brakes), lackluster detailing (headlamps, taillamps, no LED indicators) all make this a pale version of the Polo that was revealed in Frankfurt earlier this year.

I hope VW launches better variants with more powerful engines soon. Else I will have to get a I20 or ANHC to replace my 2005 Swift Zxi (which is a more powerful and better featured car than this 2010 VW Polo).
Old 29th December 2009, 19:21   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthym View Post
They haven't complained too much about the engine - citing a gruff note at higher speeds. In fact with average fuel consumption figures of 17 kpl they do acknowledge an efficient engine.
IMO we should wait for a TD before we start bashing the little car.
The road and driving conditions in UK are much different from India. They have much better roads, organized traffic and the need for overtaking doesn't occur because you can easily change lanes and continue driving. This is not the scenario in India and this is the same reason why Suzuki doesn't release their 660c engines in India.

Polo 1.2 petrol will be a good city car, but in highways, i doubt it.

Last edited by harishnair : 29th December 2009 at 19:24.
Old 29th December 2009, 19:35   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

History says that Daewoo committed a blunder by launching the Matiz in one version.

After a newspaper full of ads, all they offer is a 3 Cylinder Petrol engine in 1 variant?

In the hatch segment IMHO the fully loaded variant isn't the highest selling one! If they are looking for volumes then, Good Luck Polo!

Last edited by kiku007 : 29th December 2009 at 19:37.
Old 29th December 2009, 19:41   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Volkswagen polo (Indian version launch model) basic specs and features
  • Estimated price range: Rs. 4,75,000-5,25,000
  • more variants will be introduced in a phased manner, details not available as of now.
  • Diesel not available initially, will follow soon.
  • Auto Expo unveiling, but launch date not known, brochure not available.
  • Further information other then the ones posted here is NOT AVAILABLE. So, kindly do not ask any other questions.
Varient:
  • trendline
Engine:
  • 1.2 petrol
  • Displacement: 1198 CC
  • cylinders: 3 inline
  • Max power: 70 PS (69 HP)@5400 RPM
  • Max torque: 112 NM@3000 rpm
  • Transmission:
  • 5 speed manual with 5 forward and 1 reverse.
Dimensions and capacities:
  • length: 3970 mm
  • width:1682 mm (1901 mm with mirrors unfolded)
  • height: 1462 mm
  • wheelbase: 2470 mm
  • turning radius: 5.3 m
  • fuel tank capacity: 45 litres
  • Brakes:
  • dual circuit, diagonally split
  • front: ventilated disc
  • rear: self adjusting drum
  • anti lock: standard
  • EBD: standard
  • hydraulic brake assist
Wheels and tyres:
  • 6 J x 15 alloy wheels standard
  • 185/60 R 15 tyres
Safety features:
  • ABS with EBD
  • driver and passenger front airbags
  • rear wiper, washer and defogger

Although the standard safety features are great, the Engine power of below 70BHP and a 112 NM torque are insufficient for highway drive for pulling a total mass of 1500 kgs (1100kg kerb weight Plus full load 5 adults 5x70=350kgs and 50kgs luggage)

Never the less the given pricing Vs features can be a deterrent to other manufacturers charging obscene premium for their brand/badge value.

It will be interesting now to note how the "H" badge loving 600 monthly buyers of Jazz reacting to VW badge offered at a 35% lower price with a respectable Germany badge.

Last edited by harimakesh : 29th December 2009 at 19:43.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks