Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which car does NOT Rattle?
ANHC 111 24.13%
SX4 18 3.91%
Fiesta 60 13.04%
Verna 36 7.83%
Aveo 14 3.04%
Optra Magnum 31 6.74%
Linea 117 25.43%
Octavia 73 15.87%
Voters: 460. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:31   #136
BHPian

Re: Which car does NOT RATTLE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
All do a bit after four to five years. However, the worst offenders are Maruti cars after four years or so.

You forgot to mention Tata which starts rattling within the first six months of purchaser.
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:44   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
You forgot to mention Tata which starts rattling within the first six months of purchaser.
True. My friend's Manza started rattling issues within 6 months (25K kms) though most of the drive was on Pune/Chennai/Bangalore-Kochi highways.
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:00   #138
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
I think it would be better to be model specific.

My TATA Aria does not rattle even even after 9 months and in excess of 20,000 kms inspite of being driven roughly over potholes. The reports from others who own the Aria on this forum have been similar.

So it may be best to be model specific, no brand has all vehicles that rattle and none which has no rattles in any of it's models either.

On a different note, a lot of cars with leather interiors (like the some Merc, BMW, Audi, Skoda's etc.) give out a unique kind of sound of leather brushing against leather inplace of a rattle as the car ages after a few years. It is not a rattle, but more like a muffled squeak. Happens in my Laura and have heard this sound in all the three premium brands in the german trio.
Old 10th March 2012, 01:26   #139
BHPian

Why is it that Some Linea owners say that their cars don't rattle even a bit, while some that their cars started rattling from the first day of ownership?
Strange isn't it?
Its the same with the SX4.
Old 10th March 2012, 02:06   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Why is it that Some Linea owners say that their cars don't rattle even a bit, while some that their cars started rattling from the first day of ownership?
Strange isn't it?
Its the same with the SX4.
+1. I guess this depends on the kind of roads these vehicles ply thru! I remember my Swift didn't have much rattles when I was in Bangalore, but I am in Kerala for the last 1 year or so & it has developed a fair share of rattles. The roads here are quite BAD. Though Bangy roads were NOT so great, the average speeds were much lower on those roads compared to Kerala.
Old 10th March 2012, 20:08   #141
BHPian

Unfortunately, I can't vote for one since either I don't know about the car for sure or I know they rattle. My current car, Linea MJD has been rattling. Now, I am not quite sure about the definition of rattle. But in my Linea I notice some rattling when driving on pretty bad roads. My previous drive, Opel Corsa never ever made any noise - very solid. Unfortunately it's not listed in the options
prakash_ajp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2012, 20:15   #142
BHPian

Ford Ikon flair - 7 years of ownership and not a sound. In contrast, my new Xuv has already started rattling
Old 10th March 2012, 22:45   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Surprisingly, I have experienced Indicabs and Innovas - having 1.5 lakh+ kms on the odo, not having a single rattle.
Old 11th March 2012, 11:17   #144
BHPian

New Honda City ZX: More than 6 years of ownership and over 60000 km of driving. Not just that there are no rattles at all but also that the overall cost of ownership was one of the lowest I have had in any vehicle I have bought.
Old 11th March 2012, 11:33   #145
Senior - BHPian

Honda City i-VTEC - 9500 KMs (1.3 year old) - NO rattles. So voted for it.

Other than that my Wagonr doesn't rattle even after 38000 KMs.

No such issue with three month old i10 as well.
Old 11th March 2012, 11:34   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Rattling has to be car specific. It cannot be generalized since it will depend on a lot of factors like load in the car, driving style, roads etc. For instance I have owned a Maruti Zen ( 2.25L km), Hyundai Santro( 65k kms), Lancer ( 70k kms), City ( 65k kms), Innova ( 90k kms) and each of these cars were taken care of properly. None of them had any rattles whatsoever.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2012, 11:52   #147
Senior - BHPian

Innovas do not rattle. If anything does, it is probably something the owner/driver left in the car or an after market fitment. I believe this generic statement can be made because I've travelled in various taxis owned by operators I know and those I don't, and personal vehicles of friends.

Interestingly, I was in a Logan (Meru cab) a while ago which had over 3L kms on the odo, but didn't rattle. The only sounds that were unusual were from the front suspension, because the shock absorbers were completely gone and the front of the car was bobbing and weaving all over the place. There was the normal judder when going over bumps (normal for a suspension without shockers and over inflated tyres). Impressive.

OT: Was also impressed by the engine, which didn't seem to have lost any power and still pulled like a train from close to 10 (x100) RPM, in any gear.
Old 11th March 2012, 12:25   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, I think along with mentioning the car and the odo one should also mention the roads the car has been driven on, for most part of its life.

Since I'm in Bangalore, even some of the aged swifts does not rattle. But, in my hometown, most Swifts with 30+ on the odo rattle quite a bit.

I think: Roads that the car has been driven on, has a very important part in getting an idea if the car rattles or not. Hence, should be mentioned along with age, odo, model etc..
Old 11th March 2012, 20:00   #149
Senior - BHPian

Roads are the all important variable in the equation. I went to Pallikaranai (from Adyar) today in my >6 year 'young' Elantra and it didn't rattle and neither scraped the under belly. Some portions were perfect moonscape and had great pot holes; where she rolled a bit but held her poise not jarring the occupants. Portions of the Tharamani Road and roads leading to my destination in Jeyachandran Nagar (Pallikaranai) were perfect setting for off road events. My car remains well screwed together even after >6 years of use.
Old 9th July 2014, 15:52   #150

Interesting thread. However, IMO it suffers from selection bias. More popular cars will have more votes, skewing the results away from cars sold in lesser numbers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks