Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which do you think is better?
Maruti Swift VDI ABS 174 33.92%
Ford Figo TDCI Titanium 339 66.08%
Voters: 513. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2011, 23:14   #181
BHPian

Re: Swift-VDI(ABS) Battles FORD-Figo(TNM)-Who is the winner.

hey crazy4cars the comparison of the tdci and the mjd has been done threadbare in another thread. In a nutshell mjd is an engine where power delivery is peaky, meaning you get power above 2000 rpm. So you have to stay at a higher rpm to get a better driver experience. In case of the Figo you get linear power delivery from a much lower rpm. Say around 1500 rpm. What this means is for your urban/urban suburb kind of traffic conditions figo will deliver a better driver experience because of it's engine and hydraulic steering/handling combo.

The worst part about the previous gen swift was that you didn't get airbags and even getting the abs version was difficult. If you really take a holistic view the figo seems to be much better value to the discerning buyer.

Having said that the swift is backed by the MASS and for 50% of our country it's quite possible that swift or ritz would be the only feasible options because of lack of accessible service stations in their place of stay. For eg even in kerala which is probably the most advanced state in terms of living standard there are reasonably sized towns which have 2 MASS but no ford service station.

For me the real and only advantage of the previous gen swift over the Figo is the MASS. More power at speeds above 120 is negated by the flimsy tyres that the swift comes with. The handling/steering combo is again not as good as the Figo.

The new swift from what I hear has taken the game forward on multiple levels but it's a much more expensive car.
vishnurp99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2011, 12:33   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars View Post
I'm not saying your misleading

Okie let me tell you what i meant. At my work place or with friends who are just casual people around unaware about a few facts below are the conversations that i hear, this is what i feel is wrong.

MR X : dude buy the ford figo, its a FORD, build like a tank, its very cheap.( Thinking he gets all the goodies build quality of the expensive ford sedans in a VFM product the FIGO)
MR Y : thanks buddy, i prefer the swift, its got better looks, better FE and cheaper to maintain and good service network.
MR X : how can you buy a maruti dude such a cheap company?? See the Ford it looks classy (Boss is not aware this a generation old design, just talking in the air just because its a FORD and total dis respect for MSIL)

Now coming to your point of a 10 year old work horse. Buddy to be right its not 10 years, 2011-1997 its about 14 years.
okie its a good engine, even the M800 has a good MPFI engine 800CC, why do we prefer the alto engine more? it has got more BHP, more torque and better FE being the same 800CC. this was just an example.

What i'm saying FIGO has a very old engine which we must acknowledge, it produces less power 68 BHP and less torque, if people decide to keep the car for a long period of time they must consider all these things for sure.

Incase the Ford had the 1.3 Fiat under its hood, awesome without doubt it would have been the king by now.

Also to add i saw a MSIL esteem D yesterday, again it was fitted with a decade old engine when it was launched, i have no clue from where MSIL got this diesel engine, oh my god, with 6-7 years you cant imagine how much this engine has aged. An Abby would sound sweeter than that esteem.

Alright Sorry to go a little off topic, voted for the swift vs the figo, end of story
@crazy4cars

dude almost all manufacturers do this they put in age old technology that is well proven and reliable and make a few upgrades as the technology upgrades take place and emission tighten, otherwise i dont think even maruti would have gone the length to upgrade to MPFI. Hero honda bikes being the best example they are still giving the same old wine in a newly sticker-ed bottle!
the reason for people preferring alto over M800 is not just/only the engine power, they were bored with M800, a new car with slightly better snob value and availability of a newer model etc. alto had a major flaw, one has to switch off a/c to actually use the power and yet it was the same engine until the K10! isnt your point of figo having a older generation engine negating here???

Unless the company abandons the spare part availability and service network for the car the resale of the car has never taken a hit, or may be in a few rare cases the cost and few other factors might have played a bit. otherwise i dont see how a older engine in a brand new model car which is like 16months old (since it was launched) make it take a dip!

even in the resale market its the model/year of the car than the engine that commands the resale for most of the cars!.

the thing is a car is not just a engine, a shell, four tyres and mass produced to keep the customer happy. there is a part called, safer/stronger body, good steering response, better geometry based suspension for handling, cabin space, and ADEQUATE BRAKING FOR THE POWER IT PRODUCES, when this balance between power and stopping ability is not in SYNC it is definitely not a good car! see what happened to verna diesel, the accent crdi i had was awesome they destroyed the same reputation with verna and the numbers speak. there are a few points maruti messed up, and it had no competition till figo came in and now it faces a huge threat, in 14months 1,00,000 figos sold why these are a few of the reasons. (this happened inspite of poor after sales service of FORD.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
hey crazy4cars the comparison of the tdci and the mjd has been done threadbare in another thread. In a nutshell mjd is an engine where power delivery is peaky, meaning you get power above 2000 rpm. So you have to stay at a higher rpm to get a better driver experience. In case of the Figo you get linear power delivery from a much lower rpm. Say around 1500 rpm. What this means is for your urban/urban suburb kind of traffic conditions figo will deliver a better driver experience because of it's engine and hydraulic steering/handling combo.

The worst part about the previous gen swift was that you didn't get airbags and even getting the abs version was difficult. If you really take a holistic view the figo seems to be much better value to the discerning buyer. THANK YOU!

Having said that the swift is backed by the MASS and for 50% of our country it's quite possible that swift or ritz would be the only feasible options because of lack of accessible service stations in their place of stay. For eg even in kerala which is probably the most advanced state in terms of living standard there are reasonably sized towns which have 2 MASS but no ford service station. this is what i said in the above part only in a different angle.

For me the real and only advantage of the previous gen swift over the Figo is the MASS. More power at speeds above 120 is negated by the flimsy tyres that the swift comes with. The handling/steering combo is again not as good as the Figo. BANG ON THANK YOU!

The new swift from what I hear has taken the game forward on multiple levels but it's a much more expensive car MY POINT AS WELL THANK YOU AGAIN!.

Last edited by rider60 : 21st August 2011 at 12:36.
Old 22nd August 2011, 14:37   #183
BHPian

I have a ford fido TDCi titanium at home. Also I have a petrol vxi swift (2005)
So I will compare the non engine part of both and talk about the performance part of figo.

Firstly, figo is as much fun to drive as the swift is. Power might be low on paper but not on road. Pick up is great and unlike the swift diesel, it can pull from low rpms as well. The handling compared to swift(petrol) is definitely better. It just goes the way you point the steering easily, thus inspiring great confidence for the driver. You can cut corners easily. This car is great for the city. The steering wheel is much lighter compared to swift. My mom holds the hand support tightly when I zip away in the city.

The interiors though are not upmark compared to the swift. Inside the swift you get a bigger car feel and the riding position is also a bit higher. In the figo , it feels like a zen the quality of plastic is bad in both the swift and figo, but swift is still better (things would be even better with the new swift) Also the rear passenger comfort is better in swift (although the leg room is more in figo) This i say on behalf of my mom. She says she is more comfortable (on the rear seats) on long routes in swift than the figo.

Took the figo diesel to spiti valley a month back. It gave great mileage (around 21) and performed reasonably well. But on unmetalled roads with steep climb, it struggled very badly. Mainly due to it being diesel. I had to bring in the turbo kick before i could proceed. But then a diesel hatchback isn't made for these conditions. I am sure any other diesel hatchback would struggle.

I drive a lot in the hills so swift diesel would not be that great for me as the power delivery is in the higher rpm range.

Nonetheless, Given the shape and the interiors of new swift, I ll still go with the new swift diesel (It will always be my first love)
vivek_vt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 15:31   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_vt View Post
I have a ford fido TDCi titanium at home. Also I have a petrol vxi swift (2005)
)
How is the ground clearence of the Figo? any scrapping issues faced with 4 or 5 people on board?
Old 22nd August 2011, 15:41   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars View Post
How is the ground clearence of the Figo? any scrapping issues faced with 4 or 5 people on board?
Yes definitely. Four people on board, and water logging on uneven roads or big potholes on the unmettaled roads (which I always thought that these wouldnt touch) always scrapped the bottom of the car. My dad used to scream on me whenever something touched. Got fed up and gave the car to him, and then just smiled when everything touched again. Got it checked on return. The mechanic said only small dents on the body, no part got damaged. So bottom line, figo is not made for bad roads.
Old 22nd August 2011, 15:54   #186
BHPian

Some pics of the figo on the trip. Also some of the bad roads that I was talking about. They were really bad. At some places there was a rivulet flowing on the road for 50 meters before it fell down the road again. And some place 30 degree incline and san on the already broken road. It struggled a lot to reach up and the gravel scrapped some of the bottom of the car, but surely figo is a fighter

You can check out the pics of the kalpa/spiti valley at Flickr: vivek tiwari's Photostream
Attached Thumbnails
Swift-VDI(ABS) Battles FORD-Figo(TNM)-Who is the winner.-img_1675_2592x1728.jpg  

Swift-VDI(ABS) Battles FORD-Figo(TNM)-Who is the winner.-img_1561_2592x1728.jpg  

Swift-VDI(ABS) Battles FORD-Figo(TNM)-Who is the winner.-img_0818_2592x1728.jpg  

Swift-VDI(ABS) Battles FORD-Figo(TNM)-Who is the winner.-img_1484_2592x1728.jpg  

Swift-VDI(ABS) Battles FORD-Figo(TNM)-Who is the winner.-img_1588_2592x1728.jpg  

Swift-VDI(ABS) Battles FORD-Figo(TNM)-Who is the winner.-img_1590_2592x1728.jpg  

Old 22nd August 2011, 18:04   #187
Senior - BHPian

They are evenly matched. But the new swift has taken the game a little higher in terms of looks and desirability factor.
The swift is an aspirational product. Even in india where sedans make a big status statement, I have seen many older people happy to be seen in a swift, rather than any other hatchback. I'm not including the likes of Polo, Jazz and I20 here as they are far more premium. The Figo on the other hand looks like a VFM product that is well engineered, but not necessarily desirable.
Old 26th December 2012, 22:03   #188
BHPian

Any changes in the verdict on the above pages now that the Figo facelift has been launched?

Was planning a new diesel hatch and am torn between the Figo which pulls the heart strings and the more 'peace of mind' swift.

What about the service costs for the Figo? And the spares?
Old 27th December 2012, 00:03   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner666 View Post
Any changes in the verdict on the above pages now that the Figo facelift has been launched?

Was planning a new diesel hatch and am torn between the Figo which pulls the heart strings and the more 'peace of mind' swift.

What about the service costs for the Figo? And the spares?
I own Figo tdci from past 6 months, compare Figo vs Swift as under:

How Figo Tdci Titanium scores over Swift VDi:

1. Both almost same price but I get more in Figo: ABS, Driver & Passenger Airbags, Alloy Wheels, Very good Music System with Bluetooth, Rear Wiper, Defogger, Driver seat adjust, Big Boot 285L, good space for passengers, 150CC powerful AC.
2. Drivability in City - Figo has minimal turbo lag and turbo lag noticed till 1600 rpm and easier to drive in Traffic.
3. Handling - One of the finest in Figo is its handling department, Superb road grip and great stability at high speed. Practical car.
4. Steering - Its hydralic power steering and very stable in highspeeds, offers nice feed back to driver.
5. Less Maintenance - Being 95% localised spares and less cost of maintenance is success of Figo.

Did not like about Figo:

1. Dated looks, though Face lift has done something on Headlamps and front bumper, it still looks outdated.
2. Low ground clearance, hits under belly on some large speed breakers.
3. Hydralic Power Steering, bit boring through city drive and parkings.
4. Not so good front seats, its not that large though it is satisfactory and comfortable.
5. Interiors and not upto the quality and not as good as Swift's.
6. No power windows in top end model also.
7. Engine is bit noisy and not as smooth as Swift's.

How Swift VDi fares better than Figo:

1. Looks are so impressive, everyone appreciate it. You can modify the car and it looks even better.
2. Its Driver's car, though it has turbo lag until 2000rpm, it is lovely to drive in highways with its 75bhp under belly and the engine is smooth than Figo.
4. Nice Interiors and upto date looks.
5. Large service network and easy to get serviced.
6. Impressive Mileage than Figo in both City and HIghway runs.

Did not like about Swift:

1. Priced too high without much features.
2. Metal sheet of bonnet, doors is wafer thin, Diesel tank is of plastic to reduce weight and not solidly built as compared to old gen swifts, even window glass is thinner.
3. Maintenance now is higher as those model with VIN starting from Dec 2011 has to have Synthetic Oil and it is expensive and even Swift servicing labour is higher than Figo's.
4. Poor rear seat leg room space and small windows for passengers.
5. Very small boot space, just 210 ltrs and its very small for family outings.
6. Engine has some turbo lag and it is not that good to drive in city.
7. Electronic power steering is so light with less feedback and it is scary in high speeds.
8. Thin 165mm tyres and does not match with body proportions of swift.
9. Huge waiting period for ddis, sometime its over 6-7 months. Everybody wants to own swift.

Now you have to choose as per your likings and needs.

Last edited by HighOctane : 27th December 2012 at 00:08.
HighOctane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2012, 14:14   #190
BHPian

So actually the service costs for the Swift are more than the Figo!

What about the cost of spares?

Have driven both cars and liked the Figo as it's better to drive. However, like most of the general public, I too am really sold on Maruti's peace of mind ownership as well as better resale values to dismiss the swift summarily.

This has even forced me to consider the Ritz Vdi, which in my opinion is a very ordinary car, priced pretty high primarily due to the DDiS engine with the interiors not worthy of a 6 lakh rupee car at all.
Old 27th December 2012, 16:04   #191
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner666 View Post
Have driven both cars and liked the Figo as it's better to drive. However, like most of the general public, I too am really sold on Maruti's peace of mind ownership as well as better resale values to dismiss the swift summarily.

This has even forced me to consider the Ritz Vdi, which in my opinion is a very ordinary car, priced pretty high primarily due to the DDiS engine with the interiors not worthy of a 6 lakh rupee car at all.
Figo is a good car and I feel that the all round visibility is better in the Figo as compared to the Swift which has high shoulder line getting a less view for the passengers from inside (smaller windows) and the black interiors of the older car had it getting negative points for the interiors and visibility. The figo has better ride quality than the Swift.

Personally I don't agree with you in the point of interiors point of the Ritz (no offence)! I think it has an upmarket interiors as compared to its rest range and the waterfall console has a good look and ergonomical.

Anurag.
Old 27th December 2012, 17:57   #192
BHPian

For me, the FIGO is a clear winner.
I would not like to compares Pros and Cons on basis of features, strengths and weakness.

All i know that when i am Drving a FIGO in Bombay during the Rush hour.. my face has a evil grim and a "you loose" look ready to flash at the one I leave far behind.

It may not have many things and not be as DZIREable as the SWIFT, but every evening when i am suppose to leave from work, it is my RED HOT FIGO, I desire the most.

Yes it is not smooth all the way post 100kmph but it is rock steady even when it touches 160.

it may not have the premium feel or the look... but when you are in the figo, you don"t really get the time to sit and feel the premium interior.

It does not have power windows in the rear, What was FORD thinking?
They focused more on the power delivered by the turbo, so you would always want to sit ahead.

I think Figo is a car that strikes all the chords in heart as well as the brain.

The swift may be a better car in all the way, but it never made me smile the way FIGO does.

Last edited by turbochrgd : 27th December 2012 at 18:00.
turbochrgd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2012, 20:17   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Figo is a good car and I feel that the all round visibility is better in the Figo as compared to the Swift which has high shoulder line getting a less view for the passengers from inside (smaller windows) and the black interiors of the older car had it getting negative points for the interiors and visibility. The figo has better ride quality than the Swift.

Personally I don't agree with you in the point of interiors point of the Ritz (no offence)! I think it has an upmarket interiors as compared to its rest range and the waterfall console has a good look and ergonomical.

Anurag.
None taken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbochrgd View Post
For me, the FIGO is a clear winner.
I would not like to compares Pros and Cons on basis of features, strengths and weakness.

All i know that when i am Drving a FIGO in Bombay during the Rush hour.. my face has a evil grim and a "you loose" look ready to flash at the one I leave far behind.

It may not have many things and not be as DZIREable as the SWIFT, but every evening when i am suppose to leave from work, it is my RED HOT FIGO, I desire the most.

Yes it is not smooth all the way post 100kmph but it is rock steady even when it touches 160.

it may not have the premium feel or the look... but when you are in the figo, you don"t really get the time to sit and feel the premium interior.

It does not have power windows in the rear, What was FORD thinking?
They focused more on the power delivered by the turbo, so you would always want to sit ahead.

I think Figo is a car that strikes all the chords in heart as well as the brain.

The swift may be a better car in all the way, but it never made me smile the way FIGO does.
What about the spares & service costs for the Figo? That is the single most important thing holding me back from driving out with the Figo!

On the interiors bit, I feel Figo interiors are as premium if not lesser than the swift. Or maybe it was the Titanium!
Old 28th December 2012, 11:49   #194
BHPian

Let me give you an eg. It might help you understand the spares bit.
An Auto rickshaw rammed into the figo at an intersection, resulting in badly damaged rear left door, running board and rear fender. Even the front left door had some bruises.
Got it done at a ford A.S.S (did claim insurance) but the total bill was 20k (payable only 2.5k (claim fee and consumables)).
then a bolero rammed a hand cart in the parked figo, damaging the front right fender, door and the running board. the A.S.S billed 12k and damage to me 1k (claim charges and 50% for the parts replaced.)

The second service is done and the most expensive thing in the bill is the Mobil 1 Synthetic oil. (4 - 4.5k - service bill)

A friend clocked 50k+ on his 2 year old figo, changed the bushings etc also got some other wear and tear items replaced for 10k -12k (the car was under warranty)

Hope this gives you and idea about the cost.

As for the service - i was very disappointed with AVK ford Mumbai, but BHAVANA ford is the reason i can tell people, Ford after sales is not as bad as people say.

Honest, helpful and quick - Bhavna Ford.
*i would also like to add - Every time my car goes to Bhavna, even if it for tightening a screw, they wash it, polish the interiors and send it back. (FOC)
Its small things like these that says a lot about a service provider

Last edited by turbochrgd : 28th December 2012 at 11:54.
turbochrgd is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks