Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which do you think is better?
Maruti Swift VDI ABS 174 33.92%
Ford Figo TDCI Titanium 339 66.08%
Voters: 513. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2010, 22:28   #46
Senior - BHPian

i guess Ford has learn a lesson at last. That customer here in india are getting smarter day by day.

they have aggressively priced it. Hope it does well for them.

BTW when swift was launched it was first to broke the illusion that ABS airbags etc can be had only in large pricey sedan, here in india.
It was fully loaded when it was launched. Diesel variant was and is still a killer too.
Old 12th March 2010, 23:57   #47
BHPian

I drove the figo yest. As per my personal exp, its the best hatch i have come across. It has the best driving position and view of the road. In all others like punto i20 ritz swift or vista, the dashboard or something caused some sort of obstruction which was nill in figo.

In all those cars during the test drive since the not-so-used-to factor comes in bcoz u r driving it for the first time. but in figo it was not there. it was so driver friendly. i felt i was driving my esteem itself! so friendly i wud say and i was doing quite some zig zags at 110kmph. by now figo is my fav and my nextcar. figo tdci titanium to be precise.

space, suspension, interiors, build quality - figo on top. fiesta engine again full marks but ford service i donno!

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 12th March 2010 at 23:57. Reason: typo
Old 13th March 2010, 00:39   #48
Senior - BHPian

I understand the point in comparing a 4 year old? product with a newly launched one.
I get the point that Ford wouldn't have done a survey of current crop of cars and included features missing in the other cars. And I get the point of talking about a car whose sales figures are yet to be released atleast for the first month.

Even if the Figo outsells the Swift(which I doubt, it wont) I am sure Maruti will come up with some extras if they feel that the sales are going downwards.
Old 13th March 2010, 06:43   #49
Senior - BHPian

I did drive the figo before deciding on the car and my personal opinion is , I enjoyed driving the swift much better.
I also really disliked the system which they gave and there are no rear power windows even in the titanium model.
Old 13th March 2010, 07:57   #50
BHPian

The ford Figo is in any manner better than the swift now. It offers better space and comfort,power and refinement compared to the swifts present DDIS. It'z much cheaper considering the swift too. It's hot and sexy as well. Will surely prove a good competitor for swift and others as well.
Old 13th March 2010, 13:15   #51
Senior - BHPian

Personally, I think it is too early for this poll. We need to wait for medium/long term ownership reports of the Figo. At first glance yes, the Figo has a lot going for it, but let us wait for full picture to emerge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) Figo is nothing but old Fiesta, and its crash rating are similar to what Swift has scored.
I dont think that as far as safety goes, Swift has major disadvantage.

2) The overall performance and driving pleasure just because of engine would be more in Swift. From the figures we have, IMO, Swift is better performer with equal or better FE and equal safety.
1) I think what SkyWalker was trying to emphasize was that the top-end Figo (we are comparing the VDi to the Titanium on this thread) comes with ABS/EBD and 2 airbags. NCAP ratings are useful but the fact is that the Figo comes with more active and passive safety features.

2) Initial reports on team-bhp have shown that the Figo handles and rides better than the Swift. The TDCi feels better in stop-start situations due to comparatively less turbo lag. We have to wait for ownership reports for real-world FE figures for the Figo. But for reference, the FE figures of the Fiesta TDCi and Swift LDi/VDi are closely matched. This is my experience.
Old 13th March 2010, 14:16   #52
BANNED

ok lets leave design, comforts, features aside.

Comparison on Basis of ---> Engine, Performance & Handling

Which is better..?? Swift Vdi or Figo Diesel..??
Old 13th March 2010, 16:40   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post

+1 to rana. I've been screaming like hell form the beginning to discuss abt Engine, Performance & Handling, but no body cares.
Old 13th March 2010, 17:40   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Performance and Fun to drive- Swift VDi
Space, Comfort, Build and Driveablity- Figo
Old 13th March 2010, 17:43   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post

Are we talking stock?
A Swift VDi with the puny 165/80R14 tyres will be in no shape or form able to keep up with the Figo.
I have driven the Fiesta a lot, and it still puts a smile on my face.
Last night, I was crusing on Marine Drive at around 70kmph, and overtook a Swift VX/VDi (couldn't see), who thought I was interested in racing him, and tried to provoke me (which he did till I saw his stupid antics and stopped).
To be fair, we both kept up with each other till 90kmph, till we came to traffic and he started cutting across (and that is when I realized what I was doing was wrong and continued following traffic).
So in terms of performance, I would say that both the engines are more or less equal till around 90kmph in the city, though I am sure that in terms of pure performance, in a world with little traffic, the Swift would beat the Figo hands down.
However, in terms of engine, the Fiesta is still a load more refined than any diesel car out there, and is much more drivable thanks to nearly negligible turbo lag.
Also, as far as the handling is concerned, the Figo should definitely be more stable at high speeds, and since both have stiff suspensions, they both should take corners equally well (assuming you upgraded the Swift's tyres).

If you are comparing the Figo to the Swift in these departments, they are quite equally matched, and they actually compliment each other as the Swift has more power on open roads, and the Figo is more stable at higher speeds, and based on your requirements you can decide which is the one for you.
I would choose a more stable car, but there are others who would like a more powerful engine.

As for the space, comfort, and features for price, the Figo has the Swift beat hands down. I just suppose the Swift to be easier and cheaper to service (but then again, I don't know the service costs of the Swift. The fiesta costs around 2.5K for a regular service, and depending on what is changed, the max we have gotten is around 5K for a scheduled service - but now since we have switched to synthetic oil, that costs Rs 5,000 itself so these are just estimated figures.)
Old 13th March 2010, 19:33   #56
Senior - BHPian

The Swift would surely get an upgrade with added features in time to stop the figo eating into its share. Till that time Maruti would just sit and eat comfortably out of the pie without giving any additional features or even at bare minimum passing some part of the excise benefits that they enjoy now on the 1.2 Petrol. As long as we consider turbo lag as "performance", a tight suspension setup as "Sporty" and cheap black plastics as "convenient" these people would continue doing this. We just dont have a right to complain. Actually we shouldnt complain. Its not the enthusiasts who make or break a product. And the masses are loving it.

I'd say Swift still wins hands down in department of looks (You hate it or You love it unlike figo where you dont feel either) and unfortunately the big turbo lag works in its favour. Lucky! Right!!
Old 13th March 2010, 19:36   #57
Team-BHP Support

Well for me it will be the current king unless dethroned by someone. We have not seen Figo enought to comment on it. Also making a comment based on Fiesta's engine is not right. So I would rather wait for the critical mass to pick-up before making a judgement. PLUS there is always the element of price of spare parts.
Old 13th March 2010, 21:43   #58
BANNED

i guess only a person who has driven both the cars can truly answer this question..
Old 13th March 2010, 23:36   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead
I remember Vasudeva (or someone else?) posting that their Zen was more expensive to maintain than a Corolla.
I too "remember" that comment on some thread, just that it got locked before the comment could be substantiated with evidence. I would really love to see a Zen that is more expensive to own than a Corrola - both being the same vintage and both accident-free.

We have a few Camrys as office-vehicles and I know what they cost in terms of service-damage.
Old 14th March 2010, 15:05   #60
BANNED

I don't think that Figo will set the sales chart on fire simply because of Ford's A.S.S. !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks