Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which do you think is better?
Maruti Swift VDI ABS 174 33.92%
Ford Figo TDCI Titanium 339 66.08%
Voters: 513. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2010, 10:48   #121
BHPian

For a familyman who can buy only one car, Figo would be a better choice with the good interior and boot space. For singles with an enthusiast heart or families with a sedan going for a second car, swift would be a good choice.
Old 15th June 2010, 18:22   #122
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 16th June 2010 at 14:10.
sam_sant2005 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 21st June 2010, 00:18   #123

i test-drove the Figo today and we had a swift lxi for 4 years. now considering which to go for as our next car..

i have read people say Figo is better space wise, but i have my doubts:

the front seats of the figo seem to have a lot less leg room because of the large central console. swift has much better space there.
the riding position seems to be a lot more ergonomic in Figo as compared to Swift, so probably long drives should be more comfortable. but, the seats seemed to be narrower. my shoulders felt a little cramped.
in the back, there seems to be a lot more leg space in the Figo. More room for my knees than in Swift. but, the Figo feels a little narrower than the Swift. I felt that three people would not be able to sit comfortably there. doesn't Figo have less shoulder space than Swift? or am i wrong?
the general impression i got was that space wise Figo is Longer, but Swift is Wider. is that a correct assessment?
i think Figo is a more solidly built car. My Swift was already feeling old after 4 years of usage. the engine was still great, but the car had started to squeak all over, the suspensions were badly worn out. Figo i think, should last longer. am i right? i am not a gentle driver. Figo should be able to take the abuse better than Swift, no?
i love Figo, only the space issue is holding me back.
some opinions, a little help,
Old 21st June 2010, 11:07   #124
BHPian

I also felt that front legroom is less compared to my earlier Alto as well, though I dont have exact measurements. The front of the Alto just felt more spacious. This is probably because of the central console and maybe a slightly lower dash. The seats have good travel so finding a good position is not a problem at all. I dont know about the swift, but front space feels as much as the punto.
Back seat in my opinion has definitely more leg space and also wider to seat three people compared to swift. Again, I dont have measurements.
Boot again is better than swift.
If the space is the only issue, then Figo scores over the Swift
Old 22nd June 2010, 12:20   #125

the back seat being wider is for me, a bit doubtful. i read the comparison of swift and figo on this website:
Ford Figo Vs Maruti Suzuki Swift - shootout / comparo / review / road test
and what they say corroborates what i felt. the Figo's back bench is well supported on the side and therefore may be more comfortable for two people, but it reduces shoulder room. and if there were three people riding in the back, both the people sitting on either side will be very uncomfortable. this essentially makes Figo a four-people only car.
one more point i was debating with my father in petrol versus diesel debate is the life of both these engines. if i say a petrol engine is good for 1lakh kilometers, then what would be the life of a diesel engine?
Old 22nd June 2010, 14:42   #126
Senior - BHPian

The figo seems to lead in the survey
But actual market sales figures reflect otherwise.

Frankly, the market figures are seems to skew a lot on the A.S.S factor. Probably a good show by Ford on this front would help improve the figures too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utpal View Post
i love Figo, only the space issue is holding me back.
some opinions, a little help,
Frankly first time I have seen someone complain about the space in Figo. May be we need substantiation with some data. Not sure if the shoulder space in Figo is less.
Old 22nd June 2010, 15:13   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
The figo seems to lead in the survey
But actual market sales figures reflect otherwise.

Frankly, the market figures are seems to skew a lot on the A.S.S factor. Probably a good show by Ford on this front would help improve the figures too.
I guess, you are right. Figo has potential to do even more numbers.

IMHO, Ford should
1. Open few more dealerships in cities/towns where they have minimal presence.
2. Add more service stations, improve service quality by disciplining the dealers throughout the country.
3. Act pro-actively on the feedback/negatives they have received so far and consistently improve the product. Few things like introducing an ACC or Autobox or Figo 1.6S can sustain the interest and momentum.
Old 22nd June 2010, 15:22   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BheemBoy View Post
Coming to me couldn't wait for 6months for SWIFt DDIS and bought a VXI.
Does Swift DDiS have a 6 month waiting period in your place?
Here my friend got it in 45 days?
But Dzire has a 6 to 8 month waiting period.
Old 22nd June 2010, 15:57   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by utpal View Post
the back seat being wider is for me, a bit doubtful. i read the comparison of swift and figo on this website:
Ford Figo Vs Maruti Suzuki Swift - shootout / comparo / review / road test
and what they say corroborates what i felt. the Figo's back bench is well supported on the side and therefore may be more comfortable for two people, but it reduces shoulder room. and if there were three people riding in the back, both the people sitting on either side will be very uncomfortable. this essentially makes Figo a four-people only car.
one more point i was debating with my father in petrol versus diesel debate is the life of both these engines. if i say a petrol engine is good for 1lakh kilometers, then what would be the life of a diesel engine?
I don't think the Figo has any shoulder room issues (relative to the hatchback segment), and definitely not in comparison to the Swift. In fact, I found it roomier than most hatchbacks (except the Vista and maybe the i20) in terms of both leg and shoulder room.

However, if you want the best shoulder and leg room (read comfortable seating for 5), the only option, IMHO, is the Indica Vista. But then that would mean some other compromises.
Old 23rd June 2010, 18:34   #130

thanks a lot for your replies guys.
one thing on which i have been trying to find some valid data is the life of a petrol versus a diesel engine.
my general perception was that diesel engines last longer because they are built with heavier components, and hence they have a longer life.
but i read somewhere that this is only true for heavier engines such as trucks or buses, since their engines were built to last that long, most modern diesel car engines would last only as much, if not less; then their petrol counterparts.
is that true?
Old 24th June 2010, 10:41   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishbhat View Post
Still I guess Swift will be the winner. At least in numbers. The maintenance of of Maruti vehicles are dirt cheap compare to the Ford vehicles. That matters a lot in this segment.

i changed front left axle on my 2000 zen for rs 3800 including labor
i did the same job on my 2004 Hyundai accent for rs 1950 including labor
in my experiance i think maruti is cheap in terms of quality not in spare prices
Old 24th June 2010, 12:51   #132
BHPian

WOW!! that's a lot of comparison, took me a while to read through the entire thread.

I personally own A Swift VDi 2007(75Kms), I would say cost of maintenance isn't low. And we really don't know what the running cost of maintenance of a Figo would be.

I drove a colleagues figo and it felt not bad and car was very roomy with good overall visibility. But that fun factor and sheer joy I get of driving the swift was missing. Yep I have upgraded the tyres to 205s. But I still get FE in city of over 19 Kmpl so am happy with what I have.

Let's give the Figo some time, let some owners crunch out some miles and then probably we'll be in a better position to make comparisons.

I personally got the swift just for the sheer pleasure of driving compared to any other car available in the market in that segment in 2007. Things are changing now.
Old 4th August 2010, 15:14   #133
Senior - BHPian

even i have shortlisted my requirement of a car more specific to a figo TDI Titanium and swift VDI, in features and VFM factor, HATS OFF to FORD, that is why i have a Fiesta, but the mileage and exisitng presence of swift is also commendable, could you post the actual mileage of figo diesel
Old 5th August 2010, 15:10   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshurao View Post
I personally got the swift just for the sheer pleasure of driving compared to any other car available in the market in that segment in 2007. Things are changing now.
Its still all the same buddy even after that 3 yrs! I took Swift D last month just giving in to the 'thrill' factor. [I had TD'd Figo TDCi thrice, Punto D once, Vista D Once and finally Swift D!]Figo TDCi too again is 'just any diesel' engine. Nothing so special about it (other than a/c, comfort and driving position). Swift is peppy, is lively, it THRILLS.

And, one more thing to add => may be some say Swift D might not be that cheap to maintain, but then where else can u find spares so easily, local mechanic so easily and service center so easily ? With diesel you are bound to travel, so be on the safer side, go for Maruti. Noone knows in which 'deserted' place your car is gonna break down! Always Better the Maruti for that!!! CHEERS!

Iam getting 19+ kmpl in Bangalore City on my Swift D and got ~21 on a recent Mysore trip. Current ODO 1000kms

Last edited by sam_sant2005 : 5th August 2010 at 15:14.
Old 5th August 2010, 15:45   #135
Senior - BHPian

Swift is winner in following areas:
1 Better Looks
2 Better Fuel Efficiency
3 Best Service & cost of ownership

Figo is also good, but due to above factors Swift is a winner.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks