Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2013, 08:54   #991
BHPian

Re: Your Next Car?

My next car, hopefully, would be the next gen Grande Punto. I like the current avatar and the next one should only be an improvement over the current one. By the time it comes out, my Nano should have done enough miles to justify a swap.
Old 26th July 2013, 08:56   #992
Senior - BHPian

My dream of buying a new mid segment sedan is pushed when my 9+ year old Accent CRDI is replaced with a 3+ year old Fusion TDCI .

Now not sure if it will be a Skoda or VW, new entrants might entice me.
Old 26th July 2013, 09:20   #993
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Jeroen, I am sure this is a question you must have answered somewhere. What classic car would be a good daily driver too?
The one car that springs to mind would be the Mercedes W123 in either petrol or diesel. I own a 1982 Mercedes W123 200. There might be a few other Mercedes model as well.

I dont use it as daily drive, but it is really to the proverbial German "Grundlichheit. These cars have been put together extremely well. My W123 even though 31 years ago, still drives as if it's new. No squaks, no rattles, very comfortable (its got power steering). Fuel efficiency on petrol is 1:10, which is not too bad. It sits five adults and all their luggage easily. Parts availibility is phenomally good at very reasonable prices.

Extremely reliable and easy to maintain and easy to fix if anything goes wrong

So in fact many W123 are used, especially the Diesel Version, as daily driver in the Netherlands. Today, the rule is that any car over 25 years is exempt from roadtax. Road tax on these heavy Mercedes, especially the diesel version, is around Euro 100 - Euro 150 per month! So that's a lot. Also, classic car insurance is really cheap.

However, they are changing the law starting 2014, especially the W123 diesel community will be hit hard. You won't get a road tax exemption untill the car is 40 years old. Many daily diesel drivers have already flooded the second hand market, but nobody will buy. I guess a lot of them will be exported to North Africa and Turkey where these cars are still in huge demand.

Other than Mercedes you might want to go for the old Volve 240 series, although I haven't seen those in India yet. The W123 is certainly around and for some W124 is a classic as well, Slightly younger cars

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2013, 14:19   #994
Senior - BHPian

I have always liked sedans with clean design lines unlike the some newer cars which tend to be too overwhelming. I bought a Rapid TDI last year and I have always liked cars such the 1st gen Honda City, Lancer, Vento, Rapid etc. Some how I dont find the likes of the new verna or even the ecosport to my liking. I would love to upgrade to a D segment car, may be something like the Jetta or the new octavia. But my purchase could be another 5-6 years away, hence I'm sure there would be much better cars around by that time as well.
Old 26th July 2013, 14:27   #995
BHPian

I am in a dilemma to get the new E2O for city use and keep my T-Jet for highway. After 2 years the loan of T-jet will get over and I may plan to sell it and get a Defender if at it is available then.

I am ready to wait for another few years if there is a delay in launch of Defender. With that having an electric as a second car will make sense.
Old 26th July 2013, 14:32   #996
BHPian

Old Honda City - Love the charm it carries. I am fond of cars that look traditional. So :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Your Next Car?-1356508443_467594257_5hondacityold15gxivehicles.jpg  

SupratikDebnath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2013, 03:41   #997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
The one car that springs to mind would be the Mercedes W123 in either petrol or diesel. I own a 1982 Mercedes W123 200. There might be a few other Mercedes model as well.
Thanks for the reply Jeroen.
Do you think something like this will meet the criteria?
http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/3953021295.html

The reason i ask is because some time in the future, I will have to get a family hauler (7 or 8 seater) and to get that, I will need to sell my 2012 Charger. I had bought the Charger because a big car was needed (that's what i told my wife at least ) But now we need a bigger car.
But the good side of this trade is that then i can get anything I want for myself as I will be the only one using it and that too mostly for my 12 mile commute. Of course i dont have unlimited amount of cash, so anything between 15 and 20k USD will have to do. I dont want to get a run of the mill, cookie cutter car either.

I would have gone all the way to New Brunswick for this car had it not been so beyond my budget:
http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/3927526498.html

I am not so hung up on the car being close to my age either! So, something like this would have also done nicely:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=449182

Except for the budget again :( *story of my life*

Anyway, I guess I am just ranting. I am not even sure yet what i want, except that it should be somewhat unique, with some history to it!!
Old 27th July 2013, 10:44   #998
BHPian

Its going to be a Honda, thats for sure. Either the next gen Jazz or City.
Old 27th July 2013, 10:55   #999
BHPian

Finally my next car is done what I wanted ..... What I call as retirement car, not that I am nearing one, but the one I can use for ages..

HONDA CITY AUTOMATIC
Old 27th July 2013, 16:33   #1000
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like a very nice car indeed. Just be carefull because photographs can be deceptive. Even though the W123 has been built like a tank there are some known weakness:

Jacking points, neverly ever W123 suffers from rusted through jacking points. Not that big a deal to replace, but it involves hacking and welding and some respray. There is one photograph of these four jacking point and you can see some surface rust. But do poke around

Be very weary of those chrome strips around the wheel well. Either they were put up to hide rust. Or when there was no rust to start with there will be rust after several years.

Check the waterdrain of the open roof. Pour water around the edge. In all four corners there are drain that end underneath the car. Very often they get clogged or the tubes get damaged and there is no draining or the water drains into the cars interior, sills etc.

The interior looks nice and these are very hard wearing.

With your budget you should be able to get yourself a very nice car if you're prepared to go second hand. How about a nice Jaguar XJR (X308) or early series XK8??

Not that old yet, but definitely a classic in the making.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 19:27   #1001
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Looks like a very nice car indeed. Just be carefull because photographs can be deceptive. Even though the W123 has been built like a tank there are some known weakness:

<snip>

With your budget you should be able to get yourself a very nice car if you're prepared to go second hand. How about a nice Jaguar XJR (X308) or early series XK8??

Not that old yet, but definitely a classic in the making.

Jeroen
Those are some very useful tips, Jeroen! Thanks a bunch!!

There are indeed a few XJRs and XK8s available in my area, listed on craigslist. They dont have too many pictures though so it will need a field visit from me. One of them is claiming real life figures of 23/18 mpg (highway, city) from a supercharged V8 that has done more than 150,000 miles!! Is that really possible?
Old 30th July 2013, 20:13   #1002
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One of them is claiming real life figures of 23/18 mpg (highway, city) from a supercharged V8 that has done more than 150,000 miles!! Is that really possible?
Yes, that is possible. I used to get that from my supercharged V8 in my XJR, just about right.

Couple of good resources to help you with your quest:

http://www.jag-lovers.org/modern/buyguide.htm

I found this by far the best forum. Lots of American and British. One of the moderator Peter Crispin is also a well known Jaguar publicist;

You might want to get this small but very good guide. It was my bible when I started looking for the perfect XJR.

http://www.amazon.com/Jaguar-XJ6-XJ8...d_bxgy_b_img_y

Also, you might want to consider one of the local Jaguar clubs.

See: http://www.jcna.com/php/clublist.php

I joined the Heart of America Jaguar Club in Kansas City. Great fun.

Take care

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 10:24   #1003
BHPian

Quote:
You have to be careful with the Mercedes Benz 300d Turbo Diesel. My sister had one in the US, and it became hazardous to use because it's a dead dog till the turbo kicks in. This is very problematic when you have to cross an intersection with no signal light and you are on the minor road and the road to be crossed has major traffic. It's very, very difficlut to pick up enough momentum to make it through before the turbo kicks in. Sis didn't know any better and was driving it, then b-i-l drove it once and was shocked. He drove straight to the Benz dealership and traded it in for a petrol V8 and brought it home. I drove it too in 1985 and felt it was not useful in the city with it's turbo lag.

Net, please drive it thoroughly before you commit.
TheTeacher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2013, 12:10   #1004
Senior - BHPian

Some rejections first: Tata, Maruti and German/Italian brands, Expensive maintenance cars, Sick mileage cars.
Also, I won't boast of cars which I cannot afford (buy and maintain) - BMW, Audi, Merc. Not that I don't love these cars, but coming to practicality for a middle class Indian, I know I can never afford these. So why keep a hope ? So I narrowed down to practical Indian cars, which I can afford and enjoy at the same time.

I own a hatch - Chevy Beat (2011).
So my next car would be a Sedan or a SUV. So it would be any one of the below:

If Sedan:
- Honda City (P) or Chevrolet Cruze (D)

If SUV:
- Mahindra XUV (D) or Mahindra Scorpio (D)

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 31st July 2013 at 12:14.
Old 31st July 2013, 12:47   #1005
BHPian

I heard somewhere, for a middle class person, like me, average salaried, when we get our first job, we go for a bike. After marriage, we go for a car , i would say hatchback. After 5-6 years of marriage and after having some good savings, people upgrade to sedan and on retirement, people upgrade to SUVs.

There might be some changes here and there in this, things might affect them here and there for a year or two, things like home loan or a new home or some responsibilities back home but this is what i also feel is the story of most of the middle class families in India.

For me, i own a Vista tdi. I want to upgrade to a decent sedan with lots of space and good ride for my family, i do feel that difference after sitting in diff cars and then going back to my vista. But, in coming times, i dont think i can suffer a good amount of loss on selling my vista and then putting 10 lakhs for a new one, but surely i'll go to second hand market. hmmmm.. i think i'll go for manza..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks