Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2013, 13:52   #331
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Definitely not a breakdown. Someone must be anxiously waiting at home with a big smile on his / her face j
Old 14th May 2013, 13:59   #332
Senior - BHPian

Re: PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Such is the state of unreliability among the German Cars is that we have a dedicated thread.

BTW, can someone enlighten us that why, despite the Germans being at the pinnacle of engineering, have so many cars failing (Over engineering?) Or if this has been previously discussed, please point me the right thread.

Thanks.
I am perplexed with the use of word 'over engineering'. Shouldn't it mean high reliability with even the slightest and remotely possibly situations taken care. Also, it should be using more strengthened materials, more than necessary for the load conditions etc.
Its bad engineering just for the sake of making them costly.

I had to leave my Vento at service today again. Small glitches keep appearing and the heavy doors don't seem to prevent any of them
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 14:04   #333
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post
I saw something similar to this while driving from Bangalore. One huge tow truck and two smaller ones on top. Also saw many new school buses on tow trucks in Hosur.
Old 14th May 2013, 14:07   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I am perplexed with the use of word 'over engineering'. Shouldn't it mean high reliability with even the slightest and remotely possibly situations taken care. Also, it should be using more strengthened materials, more than necessary for the load conditions etc.
Its bad engineering just for the sake of making them costly.

I had to leave my Vento at service today again. Small glitches keep appearing and the heavy doors don't seem to prevent any of them
Sad to hear about your Vento. It's such a beautiful package and even the Polo. I used the word 'over-engineering' because it may lead to more complex systems / designs. And more complex systems have more areas to fail than simpler systems.

Not necessarily in this context, but would like to quote a one liner "Complexity is the mother of technology, but creativity is the key to simplicity!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Also, it should be using more strengthened materials, more than necessary for the load conditions etc.
Though many German cars are failing, but I believe in the material & structural strength, they would fare better than the Japs(??). However, same cannot be said about overall reliability for sure.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 14th May 2013 at 14:10.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2013, 14:28   #335
BHPian

I saw a jap car on a flatbed ok hold your breath here it comes...the Toyota Innova about 2 months back in Bengaluru just as you enter Koramangla. They were taking it to Ravindu Toyota under that 10km long elevated bridge..oh yeah it's called Electronic City I guess. Dad and me were keen to know what happened since we've never seen an Innova break-down(hopefully it didn't break down) and also since we own one and love it.
Shanksta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 03:20   #336
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Definitely not a breakdown. Someone must be anxiously waiting at home with a big smile on his / her face j
Missed out the attachment.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130515_031952.png
Views: 2999
Size:  622.4 KB
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2013, 19:59   #337
BHPian

Spotted this VW Vento on a flatbed tow truck yesterday in Jaipur. No visible sign of any accident from any angle.
The driver of the truck was driving very rashly and the car was literally dancing on its suspension. It was quite a sight to see how the suspension was faithfully doing its duty even when the car is non functional.
Attached Thumbnails
PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-img_20130520_180549.jpg  

PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-img_20130520_180600.jpg  

PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-img_20130520_180704.jpg  

Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2013, 12:31   #338
Senior - BHPian

I dont have any photos but recently i saw one Polo and Laura being carried on flatbeds. Polo was looking new & Laura also was not very old. Sad to see that new cars face such problems. Any Idea what is the general cause for such problems with VW & Skoda cars?
Old 22nd May 2013, 13:04   #339
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Missed out the attachment.

Attachment 1083694
Must be the Orange Aventador ?
Old 22nd May 2013, 15:45   #340
BHPian

Spotted a Audi A6 with its hood up on the kerbside of S.V Road in Mumbai today near Pawan Hans at around 12.30 pm today. I assume the car to be a new one as the plastic covers were still on. The poor owner was suited up and and talking on the phone to what I presume to be Audi Roadside Assistance.Sorry could not take a picture as I was riding my scooter.
Old 29th May 2013, 11:54   #341
BHPian

Saw this yesterday at Mayo Hall Jn.
Attached Thumbnails
PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-wp_20130528_001.jpg  

500ContyCruiser is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th May 2013, 11:59   #342
BHPian

I don't know if this counts, but I saw a Skoda Laura being transported on a flatbed yesterday on MM Road in Bangalore.
Old 3rd June 2013, 13:03   #343
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Time to add Japanese cars to the list too??

PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-fortuner.jpg

Last edited by v12 : 3rd June 2013 at 13:06.
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 16:27   #344
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sigh, why can't the Germans simply build cars that WORK?

Quote:
Hello,

This is Bharat Acharya.

I am from Mumbai, India.

I purchased a new BMW 520d from Navnit Motors, at Andheri, Mumbai, on 5th Jan 2013. My vehicle registration number is MH43 AL xxx2.

Though my vehicle is only 6 months old and has been driven for only 1200 Kms, I have faced several problems with it.

Starting from trivial to life-threatening, the problems simply go-on increasing. Here's the summary.

1) Within 1 month of ownership, there was a strange noise coming from the suspension at low speeds.

Status: Suspension changed at BMW service Center. Problem solved.

2) Remote control keys would refuse to work. Abruptly, both remote keys would just stop working, and so the car could not be unlocked or started. Would put me in an awkward position many times. Status: Solved by BMW service Center after two complains.

3) Strange noise while braking at low speeds. Status: Solved by BMW service Center.

4) Very serious problem. The brakes gave up at a very high speed. This happened the very day, the car came back from BMW service Center after repairing the brake noise fault. I was driving with my wife and a few friends on the Bandra Worli Sea-Link, late at night. All of a sudden, a message came up on the screen, "Oil pressure low, brakes compromised" or so. Don't remember the very exact wordings. Immediately I tried to apply brakes but they were not working. The stopping power almost as low as 10 percent. Thankfully the road ahead was empty for a long distance so I could stop the car and safely drive back home at crawling speed. This happened at around 23rd May 2013.

The very next day I Called up the BMW Service Centre and they towed my car to their garage.

Upon investigation, BMW wrote to me saying that there is an engine fault and they are going to replace the entire ENGINE of the car.

I NOW ASK YOU, IS THIS WHAT A CUSTOMER EXPECTS, AFTER BUYING SUCH AN EXPENSIVE CAR???

BMW boasts of its build quality and reliability, but these are the issues I have faced in just 5 months of ownership.

I DO NOT want a car whose entire engine assembly has been replaced. Instead, it is most appropriate if BMW accepts its moral responsibility and replace my whole car instead. As I said it had barely been driven for 1200 Kms and out of 6 months of ownership, it had spent most of its time in the BMW garage. This car has become an embarrassment for me and has totally brought down my image of BMW. I am an ardent automobile fan and this experience has actually made me lose my faith in what was my favourite car company in the world!

I refuse to put my family's life in danger again by driving a car whose heart has been reassembled. While buying the BMW I thought I was buying the pinnacle of build quality, atleast that was my impression of the 5 series, but am thoroughly disappointed.

Bharat Acharya
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 16:44   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sigh, why can't the Germans simply build cars that WORK?
An Oil Pump failure within the engine would cause the car to loose oil pressure and the engine to fail. This would also cause the Vacuum pump to fail which in turn makes the brakes non-existent! Scary situation to be in.
Maverick5490 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks