Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 1st May 2013, 10:13   #316
BHPian

Re: PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!

One more, near Orissa-WB border, being taken quite respectfully. Do you guys take permission before clicking such pictures? I didn't find anybody around to ask, so I clicked with my mobile and was ready to leave, that: I found two security personal (one of them was probably driver of the truck), approached me to ask what I intend to do with that picture ! I just smiled and left the scene : to be careful next time
Attached Thumbnails
PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-11012013730.jpg  

stringbh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2013, 10:30   #317
BHPian

Re: PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!

I spotted a brown Skoda Superb being towed by a Skoda Laura. Just after Guindy flyover near Hilton hotel on 30th April. Car was not involved in any accidents, seems it broke down on the way. The number plates were also removed.

I couldn’t take a picture because of heavy traffic and very low light.
Old 3rd May 2013, 11:44   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbh View Post
One more, near Orissa-WB border, being taken quite respectfully. Do you guys take permission before clicking such pictures? I didn't find anybody around to ask, so I clicked with my mobile and was ready to leave, that: I found two security personal (one of them was probably driver of the truck), approached me to ask what I intend to do with that picture ! I just smiled and left the scene : to be careful next time
Seems its a X1. I guess it also met with an accident
Old 3rd May 2013, 11:55   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan
Actually taking stranded cars to workshop this way is a good idea. And a reflection of the car's value, and the owners' affordability!
It isn't really a big deal to use flat-bed trucks. The Scorpio of a relative was taken to the workshop in a flat-bed and cost them Rs1200, which is more or less what one would pay for towing a car to the old-fashioned way.
Old 3rd May 2013, 17:24   #320
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
Also, the car is running on RR Sport HSE's wheels. I never saw another Vogue with these rims. Even the Sport TD-V8 gets meatier ones.

His car came with the OE alloys that too the optional ones, twin spoke 20inch ones I think, they looked great. After a year or so it was switched to these HSE rims perhaps to increase the comfort levels.
Old 6th May 2013, 09:54   #321
Senior - BHPian

Here is a POLO which is about 6-7 months old, The car just refused to start and played dead.
Battery was fine.
Owner was quite unhappy about this.
Attached Thumbnails
PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-2.jpg  

Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 13:28   #322
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

A Volvo joins in:

I guess it is more about the cost of towing vs the cost that could be incurred if the car bumper or something else were to be damaged. We of course also see classic cars being moved around in the same way. That said I guess the Germans do fail a lot lot more than the Japs but we tend to use the flatbed for the Germans and pull among the Japs.

This was the second Volvo that I saw being carried in this manner within a month.
Attached Thumbnails
PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-20130429_184344_resized.jpg  

Last edited by ACM : 6th May 2013 at 13:29.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 16:50   #323
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

That said I guess the Germans do fail a lot lot more than the Japs but we tend to use the flatbed for the Germans and pull among the Japs.
Its like how kids with lesser facilities and poor support top the boards & those civil services and on the other hand, the rich gets spoilt and flunked!

Funny thread with a sarcastic title!
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 22:46   #324
Senior - BHPian

Bentley CFS with possibly a busted front suspension in Hyderabad, Source:

PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-562572_10200698710823114_1922818230_n.jpg
Old 8th May 2013, 00:07   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Here is a POLO which is about 6-7 months old, The car just refused to start and played dead.
Battery was fine.
Owner was quite unhappy about this.
The Owner got the car back from VW in Bangalore No proper answer was given as to why the car did not start,
But guess what happened?

The car played dead again today, Tow truck was send by VW. This time the owner was really frustrated!

So much for German Reliability.
Attached Thumbnails
PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-new1.jpg  

PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-new2.jpg  

Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 13:40   #326
Distinguished - BHPian

Such is the state of unreliability among the German Cars is that we have a dedicated thread.

BTW, can someone enlighten us that why, despite the Germans being at the pinnacle of engineering, have so many cars failing (Over engineering?) Or if this has been previously discussed, please point me the right thread.

Thanks.

Last edited by saket77 : 8th May 2013 at 13:41.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 16:42   #327
Senior - BHPian

Saw a Sunflower yellow Harley Davidson Iron 883 on a flatbed truck yesterday on Freedom Park road, Blore. I'm not sure if it had broken down but the truck was headed towards Cubbon Park, where the HD showroom and service center is located just past this area on Lavelle road.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 01:00   #328
BHPian

Here's another one. Audi on flatbed near Dharavi.

PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-20130402_173035.jpg
EagleEye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 08:51   #329
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye View Post
Here's another one. Audi on flatbed near Dharavi.

Attachment 1082240
That could possibly be a car being sent out for delivery going by the cover and the dust it has accumulated.
Old 10th May 2013, 09:38   #330
Team-BHP Support

Spotted an Etios G.D Airport Taxi getting attached to a tow-truck (not flatbed) near Whitefield today morning. Not sure what was the issue, but the car had no external damages so I'm sure it wasn't an accident. The driver was busy on the phone talking to someone while the tow truck was attaching the car, and the stranded passenger was trying to find an autorickshaw. I couldn't stop or take pictures since I was on my bike in crawling traffic.

Last edited by KarthikK : 10th May 2013 at 09:39.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed