Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2021, 19:46   #601
BHPian

Re: PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!

Best one in the thread so far? Though this was just being transported to Ahmedabad from down south.

PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-162fcaeeaba94907b7fc685c420a6f9d.jpeg
ADI7YAK is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 11:55   #602
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!

Epitome of reliability on a flatbed:

PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-20210731_114638.jpg

Toyota workshop was a few kilometers away so I'm assuming it was headed there. Didn't look like an accidental case.
Leoshashi is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 16:09   #603
Senior - BHPian

I don't know why Maruti does not employ flatbed trucks to take their cars to the workshop? Perhaps they think their cars are not worth the expense! I have not seen any flatbed carrying a Maruti to workshop unless it couldn't be towed for some reason. I always see a workshop Omni towing the stricken car to the workshop, whatever be the model!
Gansan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 18:19   #604
BHPian

Sort of strange contributing to this thread as an owner. Here's my flooded car being sent off to the workshop (and junkyard) on a flatbed!

PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-img_2398.jpg
arpandiv is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 14:43   #605
BHPian

PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-dsc_0097.jpg

Spotted this British stud at Badarakha village [between Ahmedabad and Dholka] during an early morning bicycle ride.
JJay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 15:02   #606
Team-BHP Support

Have a question for folks here.

While driving on the expressway last week I saw a BMW X3 being towed the traditional way. i.e. - the front wheels were suspended in the air while the rear wheels were rolling on the ground.

I'm surprised to realise this is even possible in modern day Germans. Specially RWD cars. How does one do this. By keeping the engine on and gearbox in Neutral? Or the manual neutral override if feasible? With some key? I always thought one could only flatbed Germans - no choice otherwise.

Any insights would be most informative and helpful.

Thank you.

Last edited by Axe77 : 23rd August 2021 at 15:08.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 11:56   #607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpandiv View Post
Sort of strange contributing to this thread as an owner. Here's my flooded car being sent off to the workshop (and junkyard) on a flatbed!

Attachment 2186292
Were you able to get the car up & running, From the marks I can see that the water had come up to window level. Did it happen while parked ?
Old 27th August 2021, 13:58   #608
BHPian

Unfortunately, no, the water was 6 feet+ above the car for > 24 hours. While the engine is undamaged, the cost of restoring the electronics, etc would have been far higher than the IDV. Also, from my previous experience of flooded cars, I know it's best to let it go, she'll never run the same again. So I have landed up scrapping the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBravo View Post
Were you able to get the car up & running, From the marks I can see that the water had come up to window level. Did it happen while parked ?
arpandiv is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 17:46   #609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Epitome of reliability....
On the same lines.

PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-20211003_103947.jpg
amvj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 18:23   #610
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Epitome of reliability on a flatbed:
Quote:
Originally Posted by amvj View Post
On the same lines.
Ah, this reminds me, while I was genuinely perplexed on seeing that Crysta on flatbed, we had a similar case recently in our circle. The car in question was recently serviced, and upon driving some good distance on highways, threw this error:

PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-screenshot_20211004181113_whatsapp.jpg

PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-screenshot_20211004181027_whatsapp.jpg

Dealer strongly advised against driving the car back(some 150km), but the car was at a location that sending a flatbed and recovering it would have meant 6-7 hours of wasted time. The owner decided to drive it back to the dealership. Thankfully nothing happened but it was surely a scary experience. Guess these new breeds of BS6 diesels on flatbeds will be a common sight.

Sorry for the Off topic discussion, but any idea why this happened? In my own Crysta, I'm yet to see the bar going beyond 3 bars.
Leoshashi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 18:29   #611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the Off topic discussion, but any idea why this happened? In my own Crysta, I'm yet to see the bar going beyond 3 bars.
Guess that's a DPF related warning after it's choked. Driving further can damage it. Crysta has a manual DPF regeneration option. Didn't the owner try to carry out the regeneration manually?
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 18:34   #612
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Guess that's a DPF related warning after it's choked. Driving further can damage it. Crysta has a manual DPF regeneration option. Didn't the owner try to carry out the regeneration manually?
Yes, nothing helped. It kept flashing that message on the MID.
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2021, 19:06   #613
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Have a question for folks here.

While driving on the expressway last week I saw a BMW X3 being towed the traditional way. i.e. - the front wheels were suspended in the air while the rear wheels were rolling on the ground.

I'm surprised to realise this is even possible in modern day Germans. Specially RWD cars. How does one do this. By keeping the engine on and gearbox in Neutral? Or the manual neutral override if feasible? With some key? I always thought one could only flatbed Germans - no choice otherwise.

Any insights would be most informative and helpful.

Thank you.
Surprised someone towed an X3 that way. Maybe it's an X1? There are only two possibilities (not recommended for long distances): engine running with AT in neutral like you said. Or wheels attached to freewheeling hubs.

Last edited by androdev : 4th October 2021 at 19:15.
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 00:12   #614
BHPian

The only time my Etios rode a flatbed truck was when the fuel pump guys filled Petrol in my Diesel car, thankfully the car broke down only a couple km from my dealership and they sent a flatbed fairly quickly.

Had to clean the entire system to get my car running back again.
Black_Star is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2021, 01:21   #615
Distinguished - BHPian

Surprised to see no Kushaqs here yet, or is it not German enough?

On second thoughts, I guess it would probably become the most flat bedded car on this thread in no time.
Dry Ice is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks