Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2016, 12:39   #511
Senior - BHPian

Re: PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Two Audi Q7s go to Ladakh. Both break down . Part of the Audi Independence Day challenge by Overdrive.

However, quoting from .anshuman's official review...
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
This is what the owner’s manual says, "This Audi model, however, is not designed as a purely off-road vehicle. It is not suitable for extremely difficult conditions, such as expeditions in very remote and rough terrain." Coming to wading depth, the owner's manual says the car should be not be driven in water higher than car's underbody.
I remember discussing this with Anshuman at length during our trip to Ladakh. What's the point of a 'SUV' that you can't use for exploration! Audi's comment on its water wading depth is hilarious to say the least!

IMO, if you have to drive on-road all the time and have access to decent roads, there are plenty of options to choose from, rather than this piece.
Ace F355 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 12:43   #512
BANNED

Re: PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
HEY!!! That's the one I was driving! I was driving it when it broke down
Interesting, what is the actual problem? Electrical or mechanical
Old 23rd August 2016, 13:07   #513
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Audi's comment on its water wading depth is hilarious to say the least!
More than the water wading depth part, i was surprised at the mention that it's not meant to be used as an expedition vehicle(something like this), but then products from other similar brands are similarly designed(let's not even talk about BMW X series, which die as soon as they sense a puddle in the locality).

In contrast, our regular passenger cars like Swift or i20 or Desi crossovers serve fine for Ladakh circuit, even my Laura returned back with zero damage(at a time when roads were much worse).
.anshuman is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 13:26   #514
BHPian

After testing for 1 year in India this is what the Q7 faces!
What a pity!
What if a customer actually took his/her own car up there? Who would send support ?
Old 23rd August 2016, 13:54   #515
BHPian

This is testament to the fact that Ze Germans are not built to run error free on Indian roads, terrains and weather conditions. Too much of electronics makes the survival difficult in Indian condition, especially the combination of dust, humidity and temperature variation.
It's really sad and equally funny to see that top of the line SUV from Audi failing miserably in Ladakh.
Acharya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 16:43   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Two Audi Q7s go to Ladakh. Both break down . Part of the Audi Independence Day challenge by Overdrive.

Maybe Audi should call it "Dependence Day" Challenge. Like who can find a dependable tow truck fast.
CarJunki is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 20:34   #517
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracul View Post
Interesting, what is the actual problem? Electrical or mechanical
They claim the DPF was blocked and the ECU wouldnt let the car move. It could have been dirty fuel.

But the Q5 with the same 3.0 TDI engine performed flawlessly. So did the 2 Q3s with the 2.0 TDI and the Q5 with the 2.0 TFSI.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 20:58   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Rather disappointing considering how much pride Audi have with their "Quattro" system and their recent advertisement regarding Their Quattro cars tackling any weather conditions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
This is testament to the fact that Ze Germans are not built to run error free on Indian roads, terrains and weather conditions. Too much of electronics makes the survival difficult in Indian condition, especially the combination of dust, humidity and temperature variation.
It's really sad and equally funny to see that top of the line SUV from Audi failing miserably in Ladakh.
Reminds me of Top gear, Season 13 if I'm not mistaken, Jeremy clarkson to be precise when he was wondering what would happen when his Mercedes's dash reads "Days to the next service -1". His point being that ze german cars need pin point perfect maintenance, even in briton. But then again, to ze germans , india's an all new planet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
More than the water wading depth part, i was surprised at the mention that it's not meant to be used as an expedition vehicle(something like this), but then products from other similar brands are similarly designed(let's not even talk about BMW X series, which die as soon as they sense a puddle in the locality).

In contrast, our regular passenger cars like Swift or i20 or Desi crossovers serve fine for Ladakh circuit, even my Laura returned back with zero damage(at a time when roads were much worse).
True.A fact that was proven during the chennai floods.I saw ecosports, citys, amazes, vernas and whatnot wading through fairly deep water.

Heck , i saw a fiesta (classic), however this was not during the floods, wading through water, bonnet deep and effortlessly at that too .

Slightly OT: "let's not even talk about BMW X series, which die as soon as they sense a puddle in the locality" - This just made my day
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post

However, quoting from .anshuman's official review...

Audi's comment on its water wading depth is hilarious to say the least!
They honestly have to be joking!? axle level? People at audi lost their minds? or is it that they have THAT much confidence in their vehicles?
One:1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 21:03   #519
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
They claim the DPF was blocked and the ECU wouldnt let the car move. It could have been dirty fuel.

But the Q5 with the same 3.0 TDI engine performed flawlessly. So did the 2 Q3s with the 2.0 TDI and the Q5 with the 2.0 TFSI.
Those do not have a DPF fitted. The DPF is the death of the diesel engine. It costs a bomb to replace. It is so well integrated that if it malfunctions, the whole car shuts down. It also needs the car to be working at cruising speeds and warmed up fully to work effectively. Our jammed cities work against this.

Last edited by ajmat : 24th August 2016 at 11:12.
ajmat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 10:50   #520
Senior - BHPian

Most of the high end "SUV" are just soft roaders with 4x4 geared to snow and ice rather than rough roads. Audi Quatro was designed for tackling roads which have snow, ice or sand, which it does effortlessly. For off/bad roads with deep puddles the vehicle has to be designed as such.

If you want a proper SUV for rough roads and river crossing then it is Pajero, Landcruiser, Fortuner or Landrover range of vehicles, not softroaders like Audi or BMW.
Aroy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th August 2016, 12:43   #521
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Those do not have a DPF fitted. The DPF is the death of the diesel engine. It costs a bomb to replace. It is so well integrated that if it malfunctions, the whole car shuts down. It also needs the car to be working at cruising speeds and warmed up fully to work effectively. Our jammed cities work against this.
The other cars mentioned also very much have DPFs fitted as far as I know. Besides the petrols of course. Though this 3.0tdi used in the Q7 is a newer version of the engine I believe.
Old 19th October 2016, 12:56   #522
BHPian

Here is one I spotted today.

PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-img_20161019_121500000_hdr.jpg
mahesh_sn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 17:25   #523
BHPian

I saw a Polo being towed away on a flatbed today. The car was shaking like crazy on the flatbed, on repaired patches on the highway, owing to its overly soft suspension for India.
Old 7th November 2016, 21:17   #524
BHPian

Saw this on Facebook. Seems to be from the suburbs of Trivandrum

Seems to be some issue with the Gearbox. Car was bought from Rajasree Motors Ernakulam on October 6th. Owners request for a replacement car was turned down by Rajasree.

Owner is protesting with the car in front of the Trivandrum Dealership

For those who can read Malayalam -

http://m.dailyhunt.in/news/india/mal...ewsid-59962762
Attached Thumbnails
PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-fb_img_1478533482302.jpg  

Last edited by Ramon : 7th November 2016 at 21:46.
Ramon is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th November 2016, 08:43   #525
BHPian

Sorry for the back to back posts. But got some more pictures.

Mods - please merge with previous post.
Attached Thumbnails
PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-img20161108wa0004.jpg  

PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-img20161108wa0002.jpg  

PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-img20161108wa0000.jpg  

PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!-img20161108wa0001.jpg  

Ramon is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed