Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2010, 14:20   #76
BHPian

Those looking at space and practicality will take the Etios while the Brio will serve the ones after style and funkiness. Its a good design but I feel that the space will be at a huge premium thanks to the rather (very) small body. I entirely understand their strategy. While the Brio will serve 4-6 lakh category, the next-generation Jazz will cost lesser too bridging the gap.

@adiMicra - Spares will not be a probem at all for 2 reasons - The Jazz is hugely popular worldwide and Honda always maintains stock of spares anywhere in the world. Even otherwise, they would get it imported. No worries.
Old 1st December 2010, 16:30   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by designersf View Post
I entirely understand their strategy. While the Brio will serve 4-6 lakh category, the next-generation Jazz will cost lesser too bridging the gap.
So far I have seen Honda increasing price of new generation car when they replace the older one. E.g. CRV, Accord, City. Why would one expect something different from Jazz?
Old 1st December 2010, 16:48   #78
BHPian

Less style, more substance?

I don't think this Honda car would win any design competition. The styling isn't original nor is it exactly eye catching. The saving grace though, is the rear end that looks a bit stylish thanks to the huge glass hatch opening. However, the rear tail lights are too big and boxy.The interiors too are not exiting. The odd placement of the stereo and the aircon controls suggest surprising ergonomic flaws.( Can be confirmed only after seeing the car in flesh )
Iam not sure whether the car would have segment leading spacious interiors or a big luggage boot , and the glass hatch opening woudn't be exactly convenient to use.
I believe, Honda will offer the car with a sub - 1.0L fuel efficient engine along with an optional CVT transmission, at a market acceptable price.
The car would be positioned as a small, affordable 'Honda', that would be easy to drive and maintain.
Honda seems to have given more importance to substance ( read practicality and competence ) and less to style.
Old 1st December 2010, 17:37   #79
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : One-liners that add ZERO value to the thread are strictly prohibited on Team-BHP. In fact, they are considered as SPAM. Please do not hit the post submit button unless you have something of value to add to the thread.

We advise you to visit our board rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd December 2010 at 18:32.
300 KMPH is offline   Received Infraction
Old 1st December 2010, 18:16   #80

How would the experts on this forum compare the Brio with the Polo? Reason I am asking is that my polo is expected any time now and what I want to avoid is finding myself in a space of regret for having not waited 3-4 months (?) for the Brio. The pricing seems more or less like the Polo except that its my hunch that the overall experience of the drive and the steadiness of the VW would be missing.

I believe they are using sheet metal to lower weight and cost..

Any ideas on the difference in features of both?
Old 1st December 2010, 18:31   #81
Senior - BHPian

@ Aman: I don't think Brio would be available for you in 3-4 months, it is slated to be rleased here during/before next diwali (correct me if I am wrong). And at the very outset it is smaller than Polo, I have a hunch that you are trying to compare a car of size polo and another of size similar to that of i10.

And what Honda released is just a prototype and it would be too early for anyone to comment on the comparisons, so go ahead with your polo delivery unless you want to/can wait for at least a year.
Old 1st December 2010, 18:46   #82

Thanks a ton Anil.. My son has been waiting for his Polo and I was in two minds how to tackle him. But you have eliminated my doubts totally. A year's wait is out of question.

I saw the pics of the Brio unveiled in Thailand ready for consumers from March 2011..so imagined it would be around the same time in India. And yes there is no guarantee or telling what it is they will finally include for India and at what price.
Old 1st December 2010, 19:16   #83
BHPian

BRIO for ETIOS
Why would Honda like to stay behind Toyota in hatch segment.
Better late than never. Honda for 5 lacs...dream come true for so many!

Both the Japanese are finding it hard to enter notorios segment in India. Its a cut throat competition. Problem is that none of both can compromize on the drive and engineering quality of their cars...so they compromise on the interiors.

Anyways, for Brio the Head Lamps seem to be from Verna and the front bumper grill appears like some one smiling with braces!

Interior is far ahead than competition.

For rear I agree, seems to be dc inspired with too small boot.
but the final words can be said only after the car is unveiled in India.
Old 1st December 2010, 21:09   #84
Senior - BHPian

The sales of this car will only come down to pricing and nothing else.It does not have any other deal breakers of any sort.
It would contain all the other traits of Honda cars,brilliant fuel efficient engine,good interior space packaging,easy city driving characteristics,reliabilty,build quality and that coveted H badge.
But pricing is going to be very crucial.I hope Honda has learnt something from the Jazz that Indians might be brand conscious,but they love VFM too and would not pay the moon for a product whatever the badge.

i would say a 3.96 base variant price a mid variant with 4.45 and a top end at 5.5 would be good enough.
Old 3rd December 2010, 09:25   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
The expected price is said to be $13,300. That translates into around Rs 6lakhs!!
(Source: Honda shows BRIO city car prototype)

Have a look at the dash & boot. Nano class written all over! (See image gallery by following above link).
The article also says "there would be several major differences between the Indian and Thai versions of the vehicle"plus ". Also, local customer needs in India for a small car will be reflected and local content will be increased to create a model that achieves a good balance between vehicle performance and price (i.e. cheap interiors/sedate engine for lower price?)
Old 3rd December 2010, 11:23   #86
Senior - BHPian

Is it really that hot@5 lacs?

Guys,

Consider this: Knowing Maruti, there is no way it will price the 'new' Swift much higher than the current model (say a 20-30k hike at max). The new car boasts of much better interiors and two cracker of engines (I hope they bring the 1.2 VVT version to differentiate it from Ritz petrol).

This car is visually a size smaller than the Maruti (looks like i10 size)but will be priced at the same level. Also, the 'quality' for this car will be relatively poorer by Honda standards (coz its a cheaper car) whereas the 'quality' of new Swift will be relatively better by Maruti standards (coz its the most important model in Maruti lineup). So, I don't expect a big quality difference either.

Would you really buy this car over a 'new' Swift simply because its a Honda? Honda is no Merc guys! It only has slighty better brand equity than the normal brands (Maruti , Hyundai, Ford, GM etc).

Any thoughts?
Old 3rd December 2010, 11:31   #87
Senior - BHPian

^^ Very true, there may be a few honda fans who cannot afford the jazz or city but desperate to own a honda will go for this. But this may not definitely eat into Maruti's share!
Old 3rd December 2010, 11:45   #88
Senior - BHPian

The brio and next gen swift look infinitely better than the dated liva. Liva has its work cut out against these two heavyweights. India likes radical cars (if the consistent sales of micra is anything to go by), so the brio should reignite honda back in the indian car market. Honda dealers are struggling with wafer thin margins and immense selling presure. Manpower is falling short and honda desperately nees to rethink any strategies from here now on. City sales have crashed, the less said about the other cars, the better. But somehow Honda deserves kudos for a daring design, even though i hate the rear end. Unlike the dead liva...Honda NEEDS to price this car right from day one.

2011 will be an interesting year to see a toyota vs honda vs nissan vs suzuki war.
Old 3rd December 2010, 11:58   #89
Senior - BHPian

^^ Just in case if someone did not observe, Brio is going to be sold/serviced by HMSI, at least that is what I read in the press release. It is a smart move, but can someone confirm it before I go on this!

EDIT: It was indeed a misprint/misreporting by Rediff which now has been corrected. Thanks Sidindica for clarfication.

Last edited by anilisanil : 3rd December 2010 at 12:17.
Old 3rd December 2010, 12:03   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
^^ Just in case if someone did not observe, Brio is going to be sold/serviced by HMSI, at least that is what I read in the press release. It is a smart move, but can someone confirm it before I go on this!
Could be a misprint..a honda car selling alongside a scooter is not what Honda wants. or the case of another nano would emerge...it will be a HSCI dealer outlet-only model.

How about having a quick poll with a sidindica style initial analysis of liva VS swift 2 VS brio vs micra? or is it better to wait till march by the time the liva and swift are launched?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks