Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2014, 12:18   #9226
BHPian

re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I believe its a great price for a V variant which has done ONLY 38,000 kms. Isn't the current V costing around 17L in Bangy ?
Thanks ! I sealed the deal for 9.7 lakhs
I did enquire about the new V 2.5. It costs a cool 18 lakhs on road.
This used beauty would be for my Dad.
hallik9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2014, 17:24   #9227
BHPian

What is the realistic price for 2011 Fiat Linea T-Jet Plus done 20000 kms Mumbai Single owner.
Listed in our classifieds @6.5L
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...iat/Linea.html

and T-Bhp price check says 3.4L to 3.9L.
Carwale appraises it around 5L. What is a realistic expectation.

MKP
Old 3rd May 2014, 04:21   #9228
BHPian

Hi all,

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...i/Esteem.html/

I am interested in this Esteem, Tried contacting the seller but the mobile number is switched off. I am based in Delhi can some one throw light on how i can get the car registered here as it would be a Euro 2 which can not be registered within 100 KMs of Delhi.

nIk
Old 3rd May 2014, 11:51   #9229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post
What is the realistic price for 2011 Fiat Linea T-Jet Plus done 20000 kms Mumbai Single owner.
Hello MKP,
I feel that 6L is too much for a Fiat. Although it is a great driving machine,it has dismal resale values. Even if we consider a depreciation of 20% p.a, a 3 year old car will depreciate 60%. So I believe the fair price for this Tjet to be around 4.5L mark.

Regards,
Varun

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik0502 View Post
Hi all,

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...i/Esteem.html/

I am interested in this Esteem,
Hello N,
Any car sold after being prepared for competitive racing, might be driven at high speeds & can be involved in accidents. Check thoroughly & then decide. Also do remember its a 12 year old car.
A price of 50-60k seems fine.
As for registration,I guess you will have to register outside city limits.

Regards,
Varun
Old 3rd May 2014, 12:26   #9230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
Hello MKP,
I feel that 6L is too much for a Fiat. Although it is a great driving machine,it has dismal resale values. Even if we consider a depreciation of 20% p.a, a 3 year old car will depreciate 60%. So I believe the fair price for this Tjet to be around 4.5L mark.
Regards,
Varun
Isnt 20% annual depreciation outrageous? I know that Fiats have low resale value but this figure looks crazy. If this is true then it makes no sense to buy a new one unless its for keeps and for folks looking to pick one up (am hooked to the idea of a tjet) one should start combing the classifieds!
Old 3rd May 2014, 12:51   #9231

Hello folks

Recently purchased a pre worshipped i20 Asta (1.2 Petrol) for 3.25L. Odo at 55K
It's fully loaded with new tyres, suspension, alloys and a tomasetto sequential cng kit! Returning a mileage of 19-21 kms per kg on CNG and 13-15 on petrol.

Done 3K kms without any issues!
Old 3rd May 2014, 12:56   #9232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Isnt 20% annual depreciation outrageous? I know that Fiats have low resale value but this figure looks crazy. If this is true then it makes no sense to buy a new one unless its for keeps and for folks looking to pick one up (am hooked to the idea of a tjet) one should start combing the classifieds!
Hello HHA,
Actually,I don't think its outrageous. Our organization depreciates it's cars by 15%p.a, which is the max allowed by govt. laws. Since it's a Fiat, I increased it by another 5%.
I know dealers who have brought 2011 90HP Punto's for a measly 3-3.5L(run 30-40k).
Also the seller of the Tjet had put up his ad in Feb & it's still presumably unsold in May. That probably gives us an idea as how many people are interested in Fiat's.
Let me tell you I am a FIAT FAN!!

Untimately all these prices are subjective. I have seen people buying the original Maruti 800 (SS80) for 1.5L!! It's all about paying what you see worth in.
Regards,
Varun

Last edited by powertrain : 3rd May 2014 at 12:59.
powertrain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2014, 15:32   #9233
BHPian

I picked up a 2012 Passat Highline , run 25 k kms , in Bangalore last week for 17.2 Lakhs. Car was immaculate and the owner was moving out of town.
However given than Passat is no longer in production worried about the service and spares
Old 3rd May 2014, 20:16   #9234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
I picked up a 2012 Passat Highline , run 25 k kms , in Bangalore last week for 17.2 Lakhs. Car was immaculate and the owner was moving out of town.
However given than Passat is no longer in production worried about the service and spares
Great deal man. My father bought a new trendline manual 2012 for 18 ex showroom. Passats selling at good discounts. Great car and a great deal for a highline. Enjoy the dsg Box it's a gem. Wishing you the very best.
Old 3rd May 2014, 22:00   #9235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even if we consider a depreciation of 20% p.a, a 3 year old car will depreciate 60%.
I'm not sure you've calculated correctly for 20% depreciation per annum. From second year onwards, 20% of the remaining value is what gets depreciated, not 20% of original value.

After first year, 20% depreciation puts it at 80% of the price. At the end of the second year, 20% of this remaining 80% is what gets depreciated. This is 16% of the original value which puts the residual value to 64% of original price and not 60%.

Similarly at the end of third year, only 12.8% of original value gets reduced putting the residual value at 51.2% instead of the 40% that you calculated.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2014, 10:49   #9236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
I'm not sure you've calculated correctly for 20% depreciation per annum. From second year onwards, 20% of the remaining value is what gets depreciated, not 20% of original value.

After first year, 20% depreciation puts it at 80% of the price. At the end of the second year, 20% of this remaining 80% is what gets depreciated. This is 16% of the original value which puts the residual value to 64% of original price and not 60%.

Similarly at the end of third year, only 12.8% of original value gets reduced putting the residual value at 51.2% instead of the 40% that you calculated.
Hello ZR,
I was wondering why no one was asking for this clarification
As you a aware of there are 2 popular methods of calculating depreciation(there must be other methods that I'm unaware of):- Straight Line Method (SLM,as given by me)& Reducing Balance Method(RBM,as given by you).
Conventional wisdom tells us that the RBM is more widely used & more accurate way of calculating depreciation.
However Conventional wisdom is not something that the car dealers are known for.
These dealers will go to any lengths, to buy at a low price & sell at a high price. Let me give you an example:-
A few years ago, an acquaintance of mine wanted to sell his his 2005 Esteem Vxi, as he was relocating to Middle East.His car was installed with an aftermarket Webasto sunroof. We went to a dealer & the dealer quoted an absurd low price(I don't remember the price he quoted). On asking the reason, he replied,"Saar, it has a aftermarket sunroof. In monsoon there will be leakage & there will be rusting due to cuts made in the roof." To be fair, his arguments did make sense. My acquaintance sold the car to him a few weeks later.
A few weeks after this I saw the same car in an online portal, with the price jacked up quite a bit. The dealer had advertised " The car is installed with an expensive Sunroof".

My calculation was just to illustrate as to how some dealers operate.

Hope this clarifies.
Regards,
Varun
Old 4th May 2014, 11:32   #9237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As you a aware of there are 2 popular methods of calculating depreciation(there must be other methods that I'm unaware of):- Straight Line Method (SLM,as given by me)& Reducing Balance Method(RBM,as given by you).
I don't think anyone would be able to successfully get away with the Straight Line Method you described unless the person on the other side has a below average IQ. I'm not aware of it being used anywhere.

By your logic, I should get a car for free after 5 years in case of 20% depreciation or after 7 years in case depreciation is 15%. Technically, I should get 5% of the original cost along with the car since it has depreciated 105% over 7 years at 15% p.a.

Quote:
These dealers will go to any lengths, to buy at a low price & sell at a high price. Let me give you an example:-
A few years ago, an acquaintance of mine wanted to sell his his 2005 Esteem Vxi, as he was relocating to Middle East.His car was installed with an aftermarket Webasto sunroof. We went to a dealer & the dealer quoted an absurd low price(I don't remember the price he quoted). On asking the reason, he replied,"Saar, it has a aftermarket sunroof. In monsoon there will be leakage & there will be rusting due to cuts made in the roof." To be fair, his arguments did make sense. My acquaintance sold the car to him a few weeks later.
A few weeks after this I saw the same car in an online portal, with the price jacked up quite a bit. The dealer had advertised " The car is installed with an expensive Sunroof".

My calculation was just to illustrate as to how some dealers operate.
I don't find anything wrong with the dealer in the above example. Aftermarket sunroofs causes irreversible damage to the car and your friend should have known it when venturing out for the same.

The dealers are not running a charity business. They have to advertise it in the best possible way to make the most out of each opportunity. We just know that the dealer put up such an ad quoting a high price- it doesn't mean someone actually bought that car at that high price. If they get lucky, some kid who just turned 18 with enough balance in his dad's account might be willing to pay that price. Who knows? If not, they might have ended up selling it at half the quoted price to free up parking space in their lot. We'll never know.

Your friend had the opportunity of trying to sell it on his own to a private buyer. I assume he tried it and couldn't get a buyer at a price higher than whatever the dealer offered. Otherwise he wouldn't have sold it to the dealer. So there is no point in blaming the dealer in this scenario.
Old 4th May 2014, 13:05   #9238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
I don't think anyone would be able to successfully get away with the Straight Line Method you described unless the person on the other side has a below average IQ. I'm not aware of it being used anywhere.
Let's not comment on other people's IQ. And the SLM method is a VALID method even today.

Quote:
By your logic, I should get a car for free after 5 years in case of 20% depreciation or after 7 years in case depreciation is 15%. Technically, I should get 5% of the original cost along with the car since it has depreciated 105% over 7 years at 15% p.a.
When did I say that depreciation is the ONLY factor.When any organization sells its car after full depreciation is achieved, its booked under "Profit"

Quote:
I don't find anything wrong with the dealer in the above example. Aftermarket sunroofs causes irreversible damage to the car and your friend should have known it when venturing out for the same.
I beg to differ. If that was the case, companies like Webasto, would have shut shop long time back.

Quote:
The dealers are not running a charity business. They have to advertise it in the best possible way to make the most out of each opportunity. We just know that the dealer put up such an ad quoting a high price- it doesn't mean someone actually bought that car at that high price. If they get lucky, some kid who just turned 18 with enough balance in his dad's account might be willing to pay that price. Who knows? If not, they might have ended up selling it at half the quoted price to free up parking space in their lot. We'll never know.

Your friend had the opportunity of trying to sell it on his own to a private buyer. I assume he tried it and couldn't get a buyer at a price higher than whatever the dealer offered. Otherwise he wouldn't have sold it to the dealer. So there is no point in blaming the dealer in this scenario.
Did I ever imply that the dealers are running a charity. Also I did mention in my post that the dealer was probably true.All I tried to illustrate is how the dealers try to bring down their purchase price. If the dealer though of a sunroof as negative point while buying the car, he should not showcase the same sunroof as a positive feature while selling the car. That's it.
Let me tell you again, I am not blaming the dealer, just showing their practices.

In the end, let's just agree to disagree.

Regards,
Varun
Old 4th May 2014, 16:21   #9239
BHPian

Hi Folks

What should be the fair price for June2011 manufactured & July2012 Mumbai registered Etios VX with 22k on Odo, Reverse parking sensor installed & insurance valid till Aug2014.

I test drove car couple of days ago & my observations were,
1. Although a petrol car Engine sound & vibrations are of Diesel Vechile
2. Breaks probably needs replacement sooner, although Car has ABS breaks were too weaks.
3. Pick-up is very good found relatively better than my SX4 of same vintage.
4. A.C. cooling is average when compared to my SX4.

Seller quote is 5.25
Old 4th May 2014, 18:51   #9240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...iat/Linea.html

and T-Bhp price check says 3.4L to 3.9L.
Carwale appraises it around 5L. What is a realistic expectation.

MKP
Just to give you an idea, I purchased a May 2011 Linea T-Jet Plus done 18k km (shod with Michelins) for 5L during Sep 2013. The car was/is in a mint condition (have personally driven around 4000 km after purchasing it).

I believe that the current fair price of a 2011 T-Jet plus must be somewhere around 4.5L and it would be a very good deal if you could bring it down to 4L. I think it financially makes a lot of sense to look at the used cars when you are looking to purchase euro sedans - especially the petrol ones - as they depreciate quite a bit over time.

Most Viewed