Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2010, 11:37   #1876
SMK
BHPian

Thanks smartcat, No the Elantra does not have the leather seats but is maintained really well and is clean. Its a CRDi engine and i checked in carwale.com could not find many CRDis in bangalore.

I was also worried about the Skoda Rider's pricings. May be its due for a heavy engine work or something. Could not see the car since the owner had taken it for a movie it seems and the second hand showroom guy says he will call me today once the car is in.

How about the Safari? is it a good deal?
Old 14th June 2010, 11:45   #1877
Team-BHP Support

No idea about Safari - I say stick to cars with airbags & ABS.

Elantra CRdi 2004 with 60K on the clock without leather seats @ Rs. 5.4 Lacs is a wee bit expensive - but then if the car is in a good condition & the papers are clear, 40 - 50k here and there doesn't really matter in the long run. Especially since you need a car urgently.

Check the following websites - I found atleast 10 cars when I was looking for an used Elantra 1 month back.

Carazoo.com
CarDekho.com
Gaadi.com
Sulekha.com
Autonagar.com
Carwale.com
Zigwheels.com (terrible interface)

Also visit/call all the showrooms of Classic Automotives (classicautomotives.net) - you will find lots of diesel cars there (but not sure if you will find elantras).
Old 14th June 2010, 11:58   #1878
SMK
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
No idea about Safari - I say stick to cars with airbags & ABS.

Elantra CRdi 2004 with 60K on the clock without leather seats @ Rs. 5.4 Lacs is a wee bit expensive - but then if the car is in a good condition & the papers are clear, 40 - 50k here and there doesn't really matter in the long run. Especially since you need a car urgently.

Check the following websites - I found atleast 10 cars when I was looking for an used Elantra 1 month back.

Carazoo.com
CarDekho.com
Gaadi.com
Sulekha.com
Autonagar.com
Carwale.com
Zigwheels.com (terrible interface)

Also visit/call all the showrooms of Classic Automotives (classicautomotives.net) - you will find lots of diesel cars there (but not sure if you will find elantras).
Thanks mate! very helpful information there. Will keep you posted on this.
Old 14th June 2010, 13:13   #1879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Guys, plan dropped.! am not getting the used i10 magna. I am going in for a new car/. i10 Sportz.

YC.BALENO.CHD -> bad luck for me. But anyways it is extremely good getting a new car the fresh breath of new car is always a price that anyone will be willing to pay

Does not matter. i10 sportz is even better. Also have a good look at Ritz/Figo/Beat. Leave the swift alone. There is an all new one coming within a couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMK View Post
Hi All,

I wanted to buy a used diesel sedan, went hunting for a used one found a very good Hyundai Elantra fully loaded one (Black/2004 model/single user/60k kms done) the agent has quoted 5.4Lakhs for it. Is this a good price?
Why not look for a used Verna instead? Elantra isn't a very popular model and its dated now. Still, if Elantra appeals to you, bargain a bit more. 5.4 is steep for the car, even if its in excellent shape.

Quote:
Also,
There is a Skoda Rider (White/2008/single/70k kms done) and quoting 6.7lakhs. Both are quite good to look at and i have driven both.
I would like to differ a bit from what others mentioned here. The quoted price is not that low. Remember that the car has done more than 70K kms. 6.7 is just fine although the seller coould have quoted slightly above 7 and may have got away with it.

But remember to have a good look at mechanicals and try digging out the service history. Also, consult a good mechanic and check what all major things will have to be replaced in say, 10-15 k Kms.

Rest the usual things you need to check before finalising on the deal.

Quote:
There is a Tata Safari (Pearl White/2008/single/60K kMs done) quoting 6.3 Lakhs. This is a fully loaded model with screens on the back of the headrest and all.
Is it the VX? again this is a reasonable price for the car.

Quote:
Checked in Carwale and other websites for the car value, but the prices are quite low.
I need a car urgently and not able to decide the prices and which one of these three to buy.
Please help!
Like, I mentioned before on this thread, Carwale prices are indicative and far from being accurate. They just give you a fair idea. Also, the used car prices for various models keep changing a bit and also depend on the location and condition. For example, Astras and Corsas have been very popular in Bhopal and one can still his Opel for a good price. Try doing that at Chandigarh. Similarly certain diesel models that are very popular in Punjab aren't very popular in other parts. So you get the idea. Carwale is not to be blindly followed when it comes to prices.

Also, any reasons you are not going for a new car? You can easily get a good diesel sedan for anything below 7 lakhs.

Anyways, keep us updated and keep looking for other deals as well. When hunting for a used car, keep your options open and wide.

Regards.

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 14th June 2010 at 13:27.
Old 14th June 2010, 13:44   #1880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
Does not matter. i10 sportz is even better. Also have a good look at Ritz/Figo/Beat. Leave the swift alone. There is an all new one coming within a couple of years. Regards.
Yes, baleno dude you are right. I had a TD of the beat. It is a good car! front on it looks great. Just like the mini cruz. But the rear windows makes the backseat extremely claustrophobic and didnt get a thumbs up from my family (wifey in particular).

Figo, I will let it go. People around me (family again) are dead against anything other than MS/Hyundai. I wanted to give figo a chance, ford service is improving. but ..... rest is history.

As for Ritz! it is in a class of its own! but the back seem put off everyone in my family particularly my wife. The interiors are good and the K series engine is extremely well refined. Best in its class.

For all you know, everyone around me (family & wifey) says only an i10 can replace another i10. I had sold my i10 Era (iRDE) and would be looking at i10 magna or Sportz with 1.2 Kappa. I had driven Mi10's kappa machine. The engine seem to be equally good compared to the K series. Certain decisions are from the heart! This time I do not want to listern to my brain! spending +/- 30-40k bucks would keep my heart satisfied for a long time (may be 5 years)

Again, now comes the dilema! a choice between the Magna & sportz trims. The difference between the trims is around 35k. My mind says, that I would get the Magna and ICE it and also add some security stuff like remote lock etc., but the heart says! get the sportz with the stock system! the ICE upgrade can be done on a latter stage even. (may be phasewise approach - wave theory - avoid big bang approach)

Let me visit KUN Hyundai today and figure out the best offer they can give me.

Last edited by MutantX : 14th June 2010 at 13:54.
Old 14th June 2010, 13:55   #1881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Again, now comes the fight! is it i10 Magna or i10 sportz. The difference between the trims is around 35k. My mind says, that I would get the Magna and ICE it and also add some security stuff like remote lock etc., but the heart says! get the sportz with the stock system! you would not have to worry for another 5 years. ICE can be done on a latter stage even.

Let me visit KUN Hyundai today and figure out the best offer they can give me.
Okay, do keep us updated. Better still why not create a separate thread regarding your dilemma? We may get infractions for discussing new cars here.

Isn't the sportz variant the one which has beige and red interiors? Somehow the combo looks a bit er..strange to me.

Regards.
Old 14th June 2010, 15:19   #1882
BHPian

There is a Honda City S - MT/ July 2009 with less than 6K on the Odo. The current On Road Price in B'lore is 10.5 lakhs. The seller is asking a tad above 9 lakhs. I am thinking of negotiating down to 8.5. Is 8.5 a good price?

Last edited by phantom76 : 14th June 2010 at 15:24.
Old 14th June 2010, 15:23   #1883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom76 View Post
There is a Honda City S - MT/ July 2009 with less than 6K on the Odo. The current On Road Price in B'lore is 10.8 lakhs. The seller is asking a tad above 9 lakhs. I am thinking of negotiating down to 8.5. Is 8.5 a good price?

Yes. Even 9 lakhs is a good price for a year old car with less than 6k clocked.
BTW, what is the reason that the owner is selling an almost new car?
Old 14th June 2010, 15:25   #1884
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. Even 9 lakhs is a good price for a year old car with less than 6k clocked.
BTW, what is the reason that the owner is selling an almost new car?
Thank you sir. The owner is going on a long term assignment abroad.
Old 14th June 2010, 15:38   #1885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom76 View Post
Thank you sir. The owner is going on a long term assignment abroad.
Don't bother calling me 'sir' mate.

Anyways, keep us updated about the deal and take a good look at the service history of the car. Do the usual checks and be extra-cautious if a dealer/broker is involved.

So,are you replacing the Baleno or will keep both the cars?
Old 14th June 2010, 16:02   #1886
Senior - BHPian

Interiors!!

Quote:
There is a Honda City S - MT/ July 2009 with less than 6K on the Odo. The current On Road Price in B'lore is 10.5 lakhs. The seller is asking a tad above 9 lakhs. I am thinking of negotiating down to 8.5. Is 8.5 a good price?
Are you okay with the less than spectacular interiors that the 'original' ANHC came with. This one has a 'greige' colour strange looking interiors. The one in 'Sept'09 had updated beige colour. According to me, the earlier interiors looked very ordinary. The new interiors are much better.

BTW, 8.5 for this is fine (fine in Bangalore only). I assume that you will not be taking any loan, right? Used car loans are 'killers'. Want to check out some CIVICs for similar prices?
Old 14th June 2010, 16:03   #1887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
For that budget, and if you are planning on taking a loan, get the Accent Executive or Logan.
Logan and Accent are out, as we are interested only in cars with Airbags & ABS.
@YC.BALENO.CHD, yeah, all those are viable options.
Lets see what my dad thinks.
Old 14th June 2010, 16:09   #1888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
Logan and Accent are out, as we are interested only in cars with Airbags & ABS.
Oh yeah, I forgot that you are very safety conscious, which is of course a very good thing. Usually its the performance and handling that are a priority for many and its really good to know that even the young lots have started focusing on safety issues.

In that case, do look for Swift/Dzire ZXis and a SX4 Zxi for around 5 and a half lacs isn all that a rare deal.

Regards
Old 14th June 2010, 16:14   #1889
BHPian

Quote:
Don't bother calling me 'sir' mate.

Anyways, keep us updated about the deal and take a good look at the service history of the car. Do the usual checks and be extra-cautious if a dealer/broker is involved.

So,are you replacing the Baleno or will keep both the cars?
This is a one to one deal. It turns out the person selling the car is working in the same company as my wife.

I have to let the Baleno go. Though it is still great to drive, it has become bit boring driving the same machine for 6 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Are you okay with the less than spectacular interiors that the 'original' ANHC came with. This one has a 'greige' colour strange looking interiors. The one in 'Sept'09 had updated beige colour. According to me, the earlier interiors looked very ordinary. The new interiors are much better.

BTW, 8.5 for this is fine (fine in Bangalore only). I assume that you will not be taking any loan, right? Used car loans are 'killers'. Want to check out some CIVICs for similar prices?
Yes, the interior looks do concern me. I have to check out the car before I decide. I am not planning to take a car loan, but I have about 3 lakhs shortage in cash, probably I will make it up with some jewel loan or something.

I love the Civic, but the monster will be a pain to park in my apartment, so not seriously considering it.
Old 14th June 2010, 20:42   #1890
SMK
BHPian

Thanks YC.BALENO.CHD for the inputs.. I am inspired by GTO Used car = Value for money. I need a big car at the price of small car. I would again travel somewhere in a year or so hence did not find it logical in investing for a brand new car and sell again before leaving India.
I saw the Skoda today and felt there is something wrong in the way it looked, when enquired, found that it had a 'SMALL' accident so that is ruled out.
Elantra has floored me and i have made an offer. Waiting to see if the owner gets back to me. The Safari would be my next option. Else i can still research in the market.
Will keep you guys updated.

Most Viewed