Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th June 2011, 15:43   #76
BHPian

The link between PPL and RR!!

Hello Folks!!

About 2 weeks back, on one day when it was raining, I decided to go to office in the Viceroy. After reaching the office, the security guys at the main gate checked the vehicle and let it pass. When I reached the parking lot on the third floor, the security guy on that floor came with a book to note down my details and the details of the car. This was the first time that I had taken the Viceroy to office. This security guy was an elderly gentleman when compared to the other security staff.

When he finished noting down all the details in his book, he asked me : "Sir, Is this car made by the same company which makes aeroplane engines?" As it was getting late, I briefly explained to him that this is a car from PAL made during their collaboration with a French car maker in the late 1990s. I then headed to my desk, started work and it was during my lunch break that I began to think what the security guy had said.

Initially I could not find a relation between two extreme things, a Viceroy and an aeroplane engine maker. Then like a flash, the Rolls Royce logo appeared before my eyes!! I knew that the security guy was trying to relate the PPL logo with that of the Rolls Royce logo. Both the logos have overlapping letters!! He probably being an ex-serviceman must know about Rolls Royce.

The next day when I went to office on my bike, I met him and asked him about his doubt. He told me that he had seen a documentary on the Airbus A380 on National Geographic channel and the logo on the engine of the A380 was what he was trying to relate with the PPL logo on the bonnet!! It confirmed my doubt that he indeed was an ex-serviceman who had served in the Indian Air Force. He knew a lot about planes than the Indian Car Scene!

It feels great to come across people who surprise you by relating things which we would have never thought of!!

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.

Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-ppllogo.jpg
Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-rrlogo.jpg
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th June 2011, 15:49   #77
Senior - BHPian

re: Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE

Wow!! What a striking similarity. I too have seen all Aircraft investigations on NatGeo and have seen the RR logo many times, but it never occurred to me that PPL also appears same.
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2011, 20:40   #78
BHPian

What a coincidence to happen when we are posting about PPL and RR logos!! On my way to the FCCH meet today in the PPL Viceroy, I saw a white Rolls Royce Ghost in my rear view mirror!! The road was a bit narrow. Once we came to the main road, it zipped off and was not visible after 5 seconds. Came and went like a ghost!!
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2011, 13:58   #79
BHPian

I think I can relate the PPL and Aeroplane Engines via Walchand Hirachand.

He was the LEGEND who has bought both Aeroplane Engines and PAL to India

Salute to the great personality.
GreenDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2011, 10:57   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Behram sir,

Could you please explain what the Cannister does and why it was put on the later models of the NE and its benefits. Do any other car or modern cars come with this? I have seen it only on Scarlet_Rider's Viceroy, haven't seen it on any other NE till date. Did only the Viceroys come with this?
Is the Cannister same as the Pierburg Vapour separator (mentioned by Behrambhai in the '118NE thread')?
Old 6th August 2011, 16:58   #81
BHPian

Colour Suggestions for the Viceroy

Hello Folks,

Sometime in the future a time will come when the Viceroy will require a thorough paint job. And it won't be painted in White again. I currently have two shades in mind: Bottle Green (this picture can be seen on a few other threads) and Polynesian Beige (like Joy's car). Wanted all your suggestions regarding any other colour that would best suit the Viceroy.

Rahul Waghmare.
Attached Thumbnails
Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-green.jpg  

Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-polynesian-beige.jpg  

Scarlet_Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2011, 22:27   #82
Senior - BHPian

Both colors are awesome, what matters most is how well its restored. With your dad involved, no one would have any doubt that it will be one hell of a restoration
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2011, 11:27   #83
BHPian

Re: Colour Suggestions for the Viceroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Hello Folks,

Sometime in the future a time will come when the Viceroy will require a thorough paint job. And it won't be painted in White again. I currently have two shades in mind: Bottle Green (this picture can be seen on a few other threads) and Polynesian Beige (like Joy's car). Wanted all your suggestions regarding any other colour that would best suit the Viceroy.

Rahul Waghmare.
Go for the Beige shade. Green looks good but you will get bored after some time. Also you will need to add more chrome to make it look dapper.
But then if you are adding chrome then how about Nero Black?
I once saw a CLEAN Black Army Ambassador in Uttarakhand going fast down the ghats which I still cannot forget.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2011, 12:15   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
But then if you are adding chrome then how about Nero Black?
Black is one of my favourite colours, but I am not sure how well it would suit the shape of the Viceroy. As you said, black is an excellent choice for Ambassadors as well as Fiat 1100s (especially Elegants) and PPs. I am not familiar with Adobe Photoshop else I would have tried some sample images. Tried to search for "Black Fiat 124" on google but could find only one proper picture. The other one seems a heavily modded car with a Fiat 124 shape. It's also seen on some other thread on Team BHP. Black may probably go well if used in combination with some other colour but I want a single shade for the Viceroy unlike our NE.

Rahul Waghmare.

Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-fiat-124-black.jpg

Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-modded-black-fiat-124.jpg
Old 7th August 2011, 12:21   #85
BHPian

One condition with Black is that they show dirt/scraps/dents very easily. So we need to keep it in top shape.
How about a matte finsh steel grey? There's a Honda City-typeII here in Ahmedabad that's done up in this shade. Viceroy will look good in that but you will need tinted glasses to match that.
For other colours, let me do some Photoshopping. Will post the pictures once i'm done.
Old 7th August 2011, 12:31   #86
BHPian

Yes, black colour needs constant attention to keep it in top shape. But the advantage of black is that doing touch ups is easier compared to other shades. The most difficult colour in terms of touch up is white. Touch ups done on white coloured cars are very easy to spot as it is very difficult to mix the exact shade to match the one on the car. It would be great if you can do some images on Photoshop!
Old 7th August 2011, 12:35   #87
BHPian

I found The matte grey I was referring to in 1 of the threads.
Note: The polished Aluminum Wheels will be missed in the Viceroy.
Attached Thumbnails
Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-rvp_0400.jpg  

Old 7th August 2011, 12:46   #88
BHPian

We were given a set of mag wheels (along with partially used JK radial tyres) by one of Dad's close friends who used to use them on his NE and other cars in various rallies that he use to participate few years back. Once those wheels are cleaned and polished, they will change the look of the Viceroy. Will post the pics of wheels some time later.
Old 13th August 2011, 18:38   #89
BHPian

Hi Rahul,
I have done some editing on the Viceroy for the Matt Grey finish. Although its a bit shoddy, you will get overall idea on the looks.
And waiting for the mag shod Viceroy Pictures >>
Attached Thumbnails
Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-011.jpg  

KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2011, 21:36   #90
BHPian

Thanks for the Photoshop effort KkVaidya!! I still feel that classic cars should have a paint with glossy finish and a period shade. The matt finish goes well with a few modern cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks