Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2010, 18:19   #16
BANNED

re: Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
I just don't see the hype!? Its a regular 118NE with namesake improvements. Even Ford does better with its 'editions'
You are comparing with two different generations of cars. 118NE is of a era when PAL ruled Indian Auto Industry and later Maruti since '90s.

The thread is all about the 'Viceroy' which is 'rare' to find as they were manufactured in Limited numbers as PAL shut shop by then. This thread is just for information to all and NOT forcing all to sell off cars like Ford and buy a NE cause it's rare.

@Elito or anyone else: If you don't think this car is 'rare' and not worth the hype, please post pics of at least one original Viceroy.
Old 21st December 2010, 18:30   #17
BHPian

Quote:
I just don't see the hype!? Its a regular 118NE with namesake improvements. Even Ford does better with its 'editions'
Why a 118NE is special:
1. In '80s and '90s, NE was considered a very luxurious Sedan to own. It was pretty expensive compared to Padmini.

2. Even though Maruti 1000 was released in early 90s, NE was still considered very special as it had a powerful Nissan engine and butter smooth gearbox.

3. Unlike this generation where there are so many cars to choose from in a particular segment, in 90s there were hardly any choices. People loved NE but hated the 'rusting' issue. Everything else was perfect. So when PAL/PPL solved this issue, it was really a welcome change. But sadly, not many were manufactured.

Hence Viceroy is very special who loved the NE. Again, if you are new to NE world, then you would still consider this as a hype!
GreenDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2010, 18:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IMO Ford does it tactically to improve sales. Viceroy was to address the major rust issue that 118 NE had. Its a big thing. The number of Viceroys made were very few. Many Viceroys in the last decade or so might have lost their Viceroy badge too. So to spot a Viceroy in almost original condition is pretty rare. Every 118 NE owner including me would surely wish that they owned a Viceroy
Old 21st December 2010, 18:51   #19
BHPian

Classic or not, its based on one's perception.

It feels good to see well maintained Viceroy. There is an independent Premier/Fiat garage in Jayanagar 4th block (don't recollect the name though) and the owner apparently was associated with PAL from a long time, until TVS took over the service part.
Have come across some beautiful Padminis and 118NEs there.
Bangalore (south) seems to have a handful of these beauties.

Last edited by jeeva : 21st December 2010 at 18:52.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2010, 19:00   #20
Senior - BHPian

Nice find Karthik bhai.Very well maintained. Its surely a rare piece for us (read Premier/ Fiat fans). I think the major change between NE and Viceroy is rightly pointed out by you which is the rusting issue. Peugeot introduced a anti-corrosion treatment which prevented rusting on this model which was introduced in the diesel counterpart of 118Ne the 1.38D and continued till the end of this product. The proof of the treatment provided by PPL (PAL Peugeot Ltd.) can be clearly seen in the pics of the car. Had it been a NE the lower running boards would have rust creeping in.
Old 21st December 2010, 19:09   #21
Senior - BHPian

^ I agree. I could not find any specs of rust in this car. I did check under the mats and the bottoms of the doors, couldnt spot any rust.

Do we have any BHPians who own a Viceroy?
funkykar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2010, 19:12   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
There is an independent Premier/Fiat garage in Jayanagar 4th block
Its "Premier Land". Owner is Mr. Govindan. Yes, the cars at his garage are really good!
Old 21st December 2010, 19:20   #23
Senior - BHPian

As the rusting issue is being discussed here, i think it would be appropriate to ask what was the reason behind the heavy rusting on the 118NEs. Here many mechanics, usually after viewing a NE, comment yeh gaadi ko zung (rust) khaa gayi nahi toh isse behatar gaadi nahi thi.
Old 21st December 2010, 19:40   #24
BHPian

Rear tail Lamp of viceroy

@funkycar - the tail lamp looks like a stock NE tail lamp.I had seen a Viceroy in pristine condition used as a Govt. vehicle with a different tail lamp design than one pictured here.the tail lamp had no amber lens and it looked like a stock tail lamp.
Old 21st December 2010, 19:45   #25
DRC
BHPian

Interesting discussion....
Even I fail to understand what makes it special...being hard to find. So is a Fiat Petra and adventure.

How can one call a bug fix a new variant?
Some how companies which make unreliable and problem prone products leave behind so called classic cars. and people who buy them build charecter into them fixing them everyday.
But then "YOU" won't understand!
DRC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2010, 20:52   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
Even I fail to understand what makes it special...being hard to find. So is a Fiat Petra and adventure.
Read the above posts few more times and then drive a NE. By then YOU will understand the NE and Viceroy thing.

Petra and Adventure too will be 'Special' soon or rather already. And in future, Punto and Linea too will join as it is even now considered a 'rare' car!

Quote:
Why not??? That too when the MAJOR bug- 'Rust issue' was solved!
Old 21st December 2010, 20:58   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dont worry at all. There will be a day when Fiat Petra's and Adventures are found in tiny numbers on streets and possibly Palio's, Punto's and Lineas are still in large number. May be that day you may realize some speciality of the variant you own or you spot on the street suddenly.

Quote:
Some how companies which make unreliable and problem prone products leave behind so called classic cars. and people who buy them build charecter into them fixing them everyday.
I definitely understand the importance of any car/bike that are rare in terms of number/age of the car/bike. Looks like you never have driven/owned a 118NE long enough. Yes, it had issues and has issues. I have 2 of them, I still love it despite the rusting issues. Its not that I own it since its cheap in terms of monetory value. Its sheerly because of the driving pleasure.

If you do not feel the Viceroy rare or special, fair enough. Humble request is not to spam the thread debating about this. There is a report post option, please report the thread to mods if you feel this thread should not exist. Let the mods take a call.
Old 21st December 2010, 22:07   #28
BANNED

Quote:

Its better not to spam a thread if you dont understand some sentiments of the 118NE owners.

I never liked the NE, before i restored one and after that, its undying love to that fantastic car. A comfort level that car offered, none could match it

I remember sitting in a viceroy 11 yrs ago , belonged to my Team Manager at Stanchart, He was so smitten by that car, he never let it go. The Viceroy was a better product, but with the Advent of Maruti tin boxes, the PAL cars started fading at sales.

So what, many of them who own one, will never part with it.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2010, 12:11   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNSEL View Post
It's a NE thing you wouldn't understand.

But I want to make you understand. Whats the difference between Bullet Standard and Electra? Electra starts even without battery(right?) which is great. For a layman Standard, Electra, Machismo, Classic are all just BULLET.

For a NE lover, Viceroy is really special because it doesn't RUST-which is the biggest head-ache for NE owners.
Bro I have a Bullet so now I see your point, especially the rust part.

As funkykar said it was a mere play with words.
Old 2nd March 2011, 17:15   #30
BHPian

Premier 118NE 'VICEROY'

Glad to see a thread for the Viceroy! What would be the right price for a used Viceroy in a decent condition (1996 & 1997 models)? If anyone has any experience / idea, please do share.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks