Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2012, 11:43   #226
BHPian

re: Hyundai i10-i20 Steering yoke plug issue (Updated part is also bad)

Hi All,

My wagonR K10 went for the second free service on 13th July 2012. However,after the service I am facing a problem : there is a noise coming from the steering(actually from the wheels) when I try to turn the steering all the way to either side(the noise is more pronounced for the left side, though) at very low or zero speeds. This noise is not the whine which comes from the electronic motor,it is more of a metallic sound (like which comes when we open a door with non-oiled hinges. )
I checked with a local mechanic and he said it may be because of water trapped somewhere in the axle (it is monsoon time nowadays),but I refused to buy it because the trapped water should have gone from driving 5-6 kilometers but the noise persists even after I drive some distance and try to park the car(the noise comes at low speeds and when the wheels are turned far on either side).
Since the car is under warranty,I plan to take it to a MASS soon.
Therefore,I need some DIY tips and/or points to kept in mind while at the MASS from fellow T-BHPians(who are ever forthcoming in helping a newbie out ).
Old 3rd August 2012, 13:03   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
A friend has booked the 2012 i20. We were called for PDI and naturally I was taken with him. The car looked good, I asked for the engine to be turned on (to check for knocking and stuff). It took a single crank to start. However with the hood opened, I could see that the engine was vibrating a fair bit (compared to my 39K kms Vista). It could be a case of running in. Will post an update after delivery and running in.
Isn't there no need for a run in on modern engines? I am not 100% confident but run-in's are not needed anymore. Could someone verify this
Old 27th August 2012, 18:34   #228
BHPian

The Fluidic Verna has the infamous steering rattle!

Yeah, its true. It rattles away to glory on broken roads. Not bad roads, but broken roads with lots of tiny stones etc.

Now my big question is this - While it does annoy me to death, will it damage the car if left this way? What's the worse that can happen?

I am asking because the service guys (advaith) has sat in my car twice and plainly denied hearing any noise. All my friends confirmed it after I told them what to listen for.

What shocks me is that a lot of people expect their cars to make noises while driving. I simply dont understand. I just cant stand rattles, squeaks etc. Heck i dont even allow coins in the car because they rattle. Even the glove box and arm rest is padded so that the contents dont rattle.

So I guess its ironic that the car in itself is noisy!!

Any help is hugely appreciated. Is there a particular service centre I can take the car to? Its run 19k and both services were done at the Advaith centre on Bannerghatta road. There is a trident right opposite my office (Dell, Inner ring road). Are they better?

Thanks in advance!
Old 27th August 2012, 19:30   #229
rbp
BHPian

Re: The Fluidic Verna has the infamous steering rattle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
Yeah, its true. It rattles away to glory on broken roads. Not bad roads, but broken roads with lots of tiny stones etc.

Now my big question is this - While it does annoy me to death, will it damage the car if left this way? What's the worse that can happen?

I am asking because the service guys (advaith) has sat in my car twice and plainly denied hearing any noise. All my friends confirmed it after I told them what to listen for.

What shocks me is that a lot of people expect their cars to make noises while driving. I simply dont understand. I just cant stand rattles, squeaks etc. Heck i dont even allow coins in the car because they rattle. Even the glove box and arm rest is padded so that the contents dont rattle.

So I guess its ironic that the car in itself is noisy!!

Any help is hugely appreciated. Is there a particular service centre I can take the car to? Its run 19k and both services were done at the Advaith centre on Bannerghatta road. There is a trident right opposite my office (Dell, Inner ring road). Are they better?

Thanks in advance!
Personal advice leave the problem as it is, as Hyundai has continued using the same defective design they have used for i10, i20. The service center cannot hear the noise because he doesn't have a fix for it. The max they will do is replace the steering rake, but that isnt going to solve it, it will come back, for that you will have to leave your vehicle in the service center for a few days, might be a week too. I have always believed that factory fitting is the best fitting and the service center guys will spoil the factory fitting.
rbp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2012, 23:25   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
Personal advice leave the problem as it is
That's my plan too. But I want to be absolutely sure that the problem will not aggravate or pave way for further complications. Can we be absolutely sure?

Quote:
I have always believed that factory fitting is the best fitting and the service center guys will spoil the factory fitting.
While I wish it wasn't so, I do share the same feeling. Plus I'm positive that they'll give rise to a multitude of new issues and possibly even new noises if they have to take the dash apart for the job.

Sad situation, this.

I'm surprised others haven't noticed this yet. Can't blame them. This car is an absolute gem if you forgive the soft suspension and can make you ignore the small squeaks and rattles while you work the diesel mill to its full.

Wish I could ignore the noises!
Old 28th August 2012, 08:02   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
Wish I could ignore the noises!
You can't ignore them even if you wanted to, because you know in your heart that those sounds are abnormal and the steering is not supposed to rattle like that. Hyundai knows it too, but thanks to their ostrich like attitude, the problem still persists in many i20s. You have two options, live with it OR fight with Hyundai over it and prepare to face insults and possibly damage to your car by them.

I chose the latter and this is the result:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-replaced.html

The last steering rack, column, universal joint parts change from the new so called fluidic i20 seems to have fixed the problem in my i20, but only time will tell. There were no guarantees either from Hyundai that the problem will "remain fixed".
Old 1st July 2013, 11:50   #232
BHPian

My i20 has finished 10k kms and I feel that I hear some noise from under the steering. I am not sure whether its the infamous steering rattle. I tried doing a complete left and then sudden right and left turns while parked but did not hear any noise. But when I drive on rough roads I do feel that something is not correct. I am planning to leave my car for first paid service shortly. How do I ensure by then whether my car too is suffering from steering rattle?
Old 3rd July 2013, 09:44   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveenp View Post
My i20 has finished 10k kms and I feel that I hear some noise from under the steering. I am not sure whether its the infamous steering rattle. I tried doing a complete left and then sudden right and left turns while parked but did not hear any noise. But when I drive on rough roads I do feel that something is not correct. I am planning to leave my car for first paid service shortly. How do I ensure by then whether my car too is suffering from steering rattle?
May be this "steering rattle sound" video I posted in my ownership thread will help you in identifying the steering rattle sound in your i20.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2323548
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 20:30   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
May be this "steering rattle sound" video I posted in my ownership thread will help you in identifying the steering rattle sound in your i20.
Thanks for the link. I now get an idea what rattle means. My car's rattle is definitely not as bad as your car's but I am sure it will get there soon because the sound though not that audible is almost similar. I know for sure that this irritating noise was not there couple of weeks ago in my car. Will ask the service folks to fix it.
Old 17th November 2013, 01:09   #235
BHPian

**SHOCKING**

Noticed the Classic Steering Rattle trouble in my friend's 2011 New fluidic Verna 1.6 CRDi.
I noticed it first here, i guess.

A strong thud noise comes, when the car's front wheel hits any pothole/bump.
His car is relatively new, i can say it's just 32k kms driven & is 2011 make, driven mostly by a dad & a son.
We were unaware of this steering rattle noise, until Hyundai ASC Service advisor revealed that it's a steering rattle same as i20, which is due to worn out 'Yoke-pad' & at this 32k kms mileage its entire column needs greasing & overhaul.
I said isn't it's covered under Warranty, he said it's till car's official warranty period after that it's paid job, costing ~Rs.2,000 & 3-4 hours of job.

Other 30k kms service jobs include, excluding regular oil, filters replacement, etc;
-Transmission fluid replacement.
-Coolant replacement.
-Steering column overhaul.
-Engine decarbonisation.
-Brake pads cleaning, replacement(if needed).

Isn't first three of above stated jobs are too early for such a good, reliable car !
Just comparing it with Honda, Toyota, Maruti Suzuki & Ford cars.
CRtorquefan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2013, 12:50   #236
BHPian

Just got my i10 Kappa 2 from service, I too had a tuck-tuck sound from the right side when the car goes over the bump. I had reported it as a suspension issue, but the service adviser after inspecting the car, called an reported that its an steering column issue.

Now Hyundai has replaced the 'York Assembly' issue and the York Bearing has been replaced.

Though my i10 is 3 years old, it has only done 11K kms and I was really surprised that such an issue in a low mileage car. One good thing is the car is under 4 year extended warranty and the replacement was covered under warranty.

I was told that if the noise reoccurs then the whole steering column needs to be replaced.

After the York bearing replacement, the steering feels a bit more confident and zipper to drive, not sure if it is just a mental thing or really it is zipper to drive after the steering overhaul.
Old 17th November 2013, 19:24   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramhere View Post
Just got my i10 Kappa 2 from service, I too had a tuck-tuck sound from the right side when the car goes over the bump. I had reported it as a suspension issue, but the service adviser after inspecting the car, called an reported that its an steering column issue.

Now Hyundai has replaced the 'York Assembly' issue and the York Bearing has been replaced.

Though my i10 is 3 years old, it has only done 11K kms and I was really surprised that such an issue in a low mileage car. One good thing is the car is under 4 year extended warranty and the replacement was covered under warranty.

I was told that if the noise reoccurs then the whole steering column needs to be replaced.

After the York bearing replacement, the steering feels a bit more confident and zipper to drive, not sure if it is just a mental thing or really it is zipper to drive after the steering overhaul.
Last time when I had been to the Hyundai A** I was told steering rattling is not covered under warranty as the yoke comes under wear and tear parts category. Are you sure it was replaced under warranty?
Also, AFAIK, there is no bearing near the yoke assembly. Could you recheck and let me know which was the exact part that was replaced?

Last edited by Me-hul : 17th November 2013 at 19:27.
Old 17th November 2013, 22:39   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramhere View Post

I have given my 2011 i10 clocked 18000kms for 4th paid service on Friday. Asked them to do a 20000km service. Only issue with the car was the poor mileage and the thud noise coming in when the car gets into pot holes. SA calls up on Saturday for delivery of car and I ask him if all things are done. He says yes and then I ask him if he has rectified the problem with suspension and he says he has not done that. He replied its not a suspension issue but the same steering problem. My warranty expires in another 7 days so insisted on him doing that steering column job. Hopefully should get it by tomorrow with the part changed. I think it's better To go ahead with another 2 year extended warranty as hyundai cars are prone to such issues.
Old 18th November 2013, 17:09   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me-hul View Post
Last time when I had been to the Hyundai A** I was told steering rattling is not covered under warranty as the yoke comes under wear and tear parts category. Are you sure it was replaced under warranty?
Also, AFAIK, there is no bearing near the yoke assembly. Could you recheck and let me know which was the exact part that was replaced?
Just looked at my service bill, it says Plug-Yoke under parts and Yoke assembly under services section. But I remember the SA telling me over phone that its the yoke bearing, but thank you.

And yes both were covered under warranty since I haven't been charged for both the part and the service.
vikramhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 20:11   #240
BHPian

My car is 2010 Model i10 and it went for 4th paid service today.

SA called me and informed that there is noise in steering column and mentioned YOKE. I immediately looked at this thread and talked to him. My car is covered under additional warranty hence he was able to get replacement done.

This noise started around 2-3 weeks back and I had no idea that 'known' issue is reason behind the noise. SA was very co-operative and immediately got it changed.

Later on I also showed him this thread and he could identify circular from Hyundai pasted on post 1.

In my bill it is marked as "PLUG-YOKE" for part and "Replacement of Yoke plug with O ring" for service.

If car is not under warranty, it would cost 850 + taxes for this replacement.

Car was serviced at 17k+. VIN number does not fall in range provided in Post 1.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks