Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2011, 17:26   #121
BANNED

re: Hyundai i10-i20 Steering yoke plug issue (Updated part is also bad)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
he haven't heard this complaint not even in a single i20 with such problem, sold till to date.
He is doing his job, and this is for he is getting paid every month as Salary.

The fix provided by the company doesn't solves the issue. if you go for this fix the noise will surely return. (in my case noise it reappeared after 3000 k.m of running)
Old 18th June 2011, 17:27   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Typical trained Hyundai response!!! That fellow is shamelessly lying to you. Why not show him the video I posted and the Hyundai steering rattle database link? Let him then dare to say that no such issue exists.
Exactly same was happened at that time.
Firstly He was trying to prove to wrong with huge the sales records of i20 in our region & asking me for a written proof/record of this trouble, with full confidence.
But thankfully my Android was with me at that time & immediately I showed this thread to him.
My god, even after reading the thread headline he just started running Pillar to post & started making excuses of attending other customers, etc.
Now you tell dear, what to do now !
Within a month I've to buy a New car(in budget of 5-7lacs) & with spoiled choices i'm totally clueless now.
Old 20th June 2011, 19:57   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My god, even after reading the thread headline he just started running Pillar to post & started making excuses of attending other customers, etc.
Again, so typical and it is turning out to be a characteristic of these Hyundai wallahs.

They will flatly deny the issue on your face. But when you show them proof of the same, they will try to avoid you. I had to make a video of the steering rattle issue to prove it to them that the steering rattle does exist in the car even after all those experiments done on my car.

Until I sent them the steering rattle video, I was being referred to as jhik jhik waala and that I "hear" things. The same sound, they were refusing to acknowledge as the dreaded steering rattle. But once it was shown to them, they accepted that there is something wrong with the steering. And no, to this date the steering issue hasn't been resolved and I continue to live with it.

As for your dilemma, well, in the i20, the issue will show up on rough roads only. SO you can take a chance if the roads in your area are good. You may never face the issue. But that being said, I think someone had earlier posted in this thread that he was hearing this rattle sound on normal roads also in his i20.

Frankly, there are much better cars on offer. Take a look around. A friend's CRDI i20 Asta had this steering rattle issue. He got tired of it of trying to get it fixed and sold off the car, and bought the 90 HP Punto. He just can't stop praising the car.
Old 21st June 2011, 12:46   #124
BHPian

Have anyone heard of such kind of trouble in New fluidic Verna as it's also based on the same i20 car, sharing most of their underpinnings.
Though it features a different Steering column than i20, as the former is having Tilt Adjustment only while the latter offers both Tilt & Telescopic functions.

Quote:
A friend's CRDI i20 Asta had this steering rattle issue. He got tired of it of trying to get it fixed and sold off the car, and bought the 90 HP Punto. He just can't stop praising the car.
Punto is really a sensational car but its really marred by the quality issues, mostly related to its plastics.
Similarly, Despite of Superb engine i20 suffers from design niggles & its really pathetic in the era of Well engineered & Quality oozing Volkswagens, Skodas, etc.
Old 21st June 2011, 12:59   #125
BHPian

I have a i-10 Sportz. When new, my car ALSO had the steering rattle issue. On my second service the A$$ fully solved my problem using a kit supplied by Hyundai. Forget about rattle, there is not even a single 'krr' sound coming from the Steering on very very rough roads since then! Its been 1 year now, since the second service. Anyways, I never thought that this steering rattling is such a big deal.

Last edited by ulhas.ahirrao : 21st June 2011 at 13:02.
Old 21st June 2011, 15:20   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Punto is really a sensational car but its really marred by the quality issues, mostly related to its plastics.
Similarly, Despite of Superb engine i20 suffers from design niggles & its really pathetic in the era of Well engineered & Quality oozing Volkswagens, Skodas, etc.
If this is a straight shootout between the i20 and any other car, I will recommend any other car. While I agree the Punto has its own set of issues & niggles, these pertain more to comfort/ convenience parts than to integral parts of the car.

Of course, if you cannot live with this I highly recommend looking at the used car market. It will allow a greater range of cars for your to look at.

For a new car in your budget, I would recommend:
- Punto diesel
- used cars (greater range & flexibility)
- Figo diesel
- Etios/ Liva
- Manza (if you want a sedan, its quite VFM)
Old 23rd June 2011, 10:19   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have anyone heard of such kind of trouble in New fluidic Verna as it's also based on the same i20 car, sharing most of their underpinnings.
Though it features a different Steering column than i20, as the former is having Tilt Adjustment only while the latter offers both Tilt & Telescopic functions.
What is interesting is that they removed telescopic adjust feature from the new Verna's EPS. I wonder if the telescopic adjust feature is the cause of the rattle. Don't be surprised if in the near future when the i20 gets the "Darth Vader" facelift, the telescopic adjust steering feature is deleted from the i20 as well.

One of these days I will try taking a TD of the new Verna on the same rough roads where the i20's steering rattles.
Old 23rd June 2011, 13:24   #128
BHPian

Quote:
One of these days I will try taking a TD of the new Verna on the same rough roads where the i20's steering rattles.
Then wait for a month or twotill their TD vehicle clocks some 7-8k kms. IMHO, by that time it'll definitely develop steering rattle if it'll be having that faulty design steering geometry as of i20.
Old 23rd June 2011, 13:47   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Then wait for a month or twotill their TD vehicle clocks some 7-8k kms. IMHO, by that time it'll definitely develop steering rattle if it'll be having that faulty design steering geometry as of i20.
While I agree that the problem by itself is serious in nature, IMHO the worst part about this is the attitude shown by Hyundai. Instead of focussing on accepting and resolving the issue, they flatly deny it. Its an ostrich-head-in-the-sand kind of situation.
This behaviour does not create any confidence in me for Hyundai or their cars.
Old 23rd June 2011, 15:52   #130
BANNED

Quote:
What is interesting is that they removed telescopic adjust feature from the new Verna's EPS. I wonder if the telescopic adjust feature is the cause of the rattle.
I thought of this earlier but then what about the i10's which having the same issues!! it doesn't have the telescopic adjustment feature.
Old 23rd June 2011, 18:56   #131
Senior - BHPian

I read in the verna test drive thread, that Hyundai has changed the component suppliers for steering assembly, design and related parts due to these complaints in i20 and i10. The same post also said for verna, these components are imported from korea.

However there is no reason mentioned as to why Hyundai isnt trying to resolve the issues with i20 and i10 set-ups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
I thought of this earlier but then what about the i10's which having the same issues!! it doesn't have the telescopic adjustment feature.
Old 24th June 2011, 17:54   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
. It slipped out of my mind. I just think it( steering rattle due to telescopic steering feature) must have been at the back of their minds when they thought of new Verna feature list. When the steering systems people from Hyundai, Delhi visited my place to have look at the car, one of the many reasons they gave for the steering rattle was telescopic adjust feature( which I thought was another pathetic excuse).
Old 26th June 2011, 20:24   #133
BHPian

In my quest to buy a premium hatchback, today I test drove an i20, and boy am I glad I did.

The steering was rattling to no end and my left leg kept on fouling with a plastic dash when I operated the clutch.

It was a old TD car ( SA said around 6 months old). When i asked him about rattle he said it was probably because the way TD cars are usually handled, and this sound doesnt exist in newer cars. They really should at the least repair their TD cars before sending thm over!
Old 27th June 2011, 13:27   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
In my quest to buy a premium hatchback, today I test drove an i20, and boy am I glad I did.
Was this at Sanjay Hyundai or Kothari Hyundai? the latter in particular are very nonchalant; perhaps due to their location in town. The SAs ast Sanjay Hyundai are more informed, but overall their dealership is a bit pushy in terms of sales. They kept calling me even though I told them I had finalised another car. They stopped calling after I mentioned the steering rattle reason.
Old 28th June 2011, 20:03   #135
Senior - BHPian

Here's an e-mail I received today from a gentleman whose 2011 i20 CRDi has this steering rattle issue. IMO, it proves beyond doubt that that the 2011 i20s too have the steering rattle issue. Attached is the copy of TSB that was attached in the e-mail, which is photographic proof of what wildon had posted earlier.

Quote:
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 3:28 PM
To:xxx@hmil.net, xxx@hmil.net, xx@hmil.net, xxx@hmil.net, xxx@hmil.net
Bcc : xxxx@gmail.com
Subject: Faulty i20 Steering

Hello All,

I have purchased my vehicle i20 crdi during April 2011. And the total kilometer reading on the vehicle is only 5500 Kms. However the steering has serious rattle issue and Yoke Plug, Urethane Pad and Yoke Spring got damaged. If I am not wrong this is a very famous classic manufacturing defect from Hyundai however Hyundai never bothers to fix it. As per my knowledge the steering rattle issue is supposed to be only applicable for i20 VIN range 073867 ~ 207656, Production period - 23.07.09 ~ 31.07.10. But my car is a new one manufactured on 2011 and Chassis Number – xxxxxx/ Engine Number – xxxxx and it still has the typical steering issue. I have got all the three parts (Yoke Plug, Urethane Pad and Yoke Spring) replaced yesterday, but the service adviser was honest enough to inform me it will reappear again.

I am looking for a permanent solution from Hyundai motors India to fix this steering rattle problem caused due to design flaw/ faulty Yoke Plug, Urethane Pad and Yoke Spring.

Attached is the technical diagram i got from the service station

--
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks and Regards,
Have a look at the second page, which is partly visible. There is a clause on warranty on the second page, which seems suspicious.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i10-i20 Steering yoke plug issue (Updated part is also bad)-photo.jpg  

Last edited by skanchan95 : 28th June 2011 at 20:05.
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks