Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2011, 16:25   #16
BHPian

re: Hyundai i10-i20 Steering yoke plug issue (Updated part is also bad)

Now Hyundai is running a free campaign. I have purchased an i10 with the vin number under Part B of Mr Wildon message.

What you advice me to do? I have run the vehicle for more than 10800 kms but I have not felt any steering problems.

I have been following with HASS only for a rattling sound coming out of RHS mirror but of no avail. I am put up at Mumbai.
Old 11th March 2011, 16:31   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
and what do you do when the HASS says, its an isolated issue, we never got any complaints for the same.
Tell them blankly, refer to TSB no. 10-56-I09-PA/PB dated 13- Sep -2010
I had become tired explaining to the workshop in Junagadh that my steering rattle issue wasn't an isolated case, but they refused to believe me. Now this just proves it.
Old 11th March 2011, 16:43   #18
BHPian

@skanchan95 - I've read your thread and your posts in various other threads. I've been keenly following up on all i20 threads as I was planning to buy it. Looking at the negativity floating around I almost did not buy it. I finally ended up buying a pre-owned i20 last week despite all this as I had really fell in love with the car. I am a new driver and have no issues with the underpowered nature of the car.

In your case I honestly feel the issue was amplified by the incompetence of the workshop. I feel that if by fixing this if the issue is going away, I'm okay with it. But it's a fact that Hyundai has goofed up big time by not accepting this issue in public and keeping it under wraps. In hindsight, now they'll lose face as most of the users are aware about this issue and even the fact that they'd known it all along.

They still have the time to go out and just call up those 7.5L users and get the issue fixed proactively instead of waiting for them to complain.
Old 11th March 2011, 16:51   #19
Senior - BHPian

I remember reading in the small print of my Alto's warranty papers the following:

"Minor squeaks/sounds/defects that do not otherwise compromise the performance of the car can't be claimed under the warranty, though an effort will be made to rectify the same".

These are not the exact words, but this is the gist of it. I am sure the warranty certificate of all companies have such clauses, under which they can take shelter legally. Go through the small print, guys!
Old 11th March 2011, 17:12   #20
BHPian

I am also experiencing the rattling noise problem in my May 2010 i20 especially in extreme bad roads.
Six months back I went to Hyundai Service center in my town. Surprisingly they don’t even know that i20 have a problem like this.
Old 11th March 2011, 19:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
If my calculations are to believed, the steering rattle issue is present in 766,666 vehicles!!

Will there be a mass recall for solving the rattle issues?
First of all, don't bash me up as a Hyundai fanboy! I know how irritating it would be for people who are affected by this rattling problem. But still, I want to highlight these points.

Yes, the number 766,666 is huge, but the most important point to be noted is i10 and i20 are manufactured in India for the rest of the world. So, the quantity is going to be quite big. Don't forget the fact that the recent Honda City recall in India (58000 odd cars) was part of a massive 700,000 vehicles recalled globally (including City & Jazz).

AFAIK, "recalls" are necessary only if a problem is a potential danger/hazard for passengers and drivers or if it is going to affect the performance or functioning of a part/system in the car.

So, I guess if Hyundai decides to repair the car at the dealerships, it should be fair enough. IMO, the dealerships and workshops are not competent enough.

4 of my friends are extremely happy owners of i20 and 3 are proud owners of i10 F/L. All 7 are extremely satisfied and happy with their decision. I myself is an extremely satisfied owner of Hyundai Santro. Hope, Hyundai makes all its customers happy.
Old 11th March 2011, 20:58   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Model falls under CASE A

Applicable VIN range for i10 - 417501 ~ 699405
Production period - 19.08.09 ~ 31.07.10

Case B - Kit-2

Applicable VIN range for i10 - 124027 ~ 417500
Production period - 01.07.08 ~ 18.08.09
Wildon, thanks for the info. Given the production period of the "defective" I10s (01.07.08 to 31.07.10), can we safely assume that the new face-lift editions (Kappa2 and IRDE2) of the I10 are free (or have been rectified) of this particular defect? Or is it the case that the "face-lift" arrived as a "face-saving" measure?

Last edited by misquitas : 11th March 2011 at 20:59.
Old 11th March 2011, 21:07   #23
BHPian

@arvi86: It is not that I have faced any problem with my i10 or hyundai so far. In case the car goes out of warranty and the issue crops up and the manufacturer puts the blame on us and if we are made to cough up money for a original known manufacturing defect, it is better that we do take up the issue now itself with them.

I have taken the vehicle for a 3200 kms spin in GQ in various road conditions, and it did not pose me any problem and the fuel average was also excellent.

People with varied experience can give inputs as to how the matter can be handled in the best manner possible. Everybody should remain satisfied with the product sold / bought.
Old 11th March 2011, 22:33   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well since long time we were debating on this and today i have an evidence for the same.

Here is some important info from the TSB
Sweet. Absolutely sweet. You can't take team-BHPians for a ride. Period.

Can we go to media with this?

If we keep going at this rate then this is the future. The dealers will have on their internal PDI list this:

And at last, is the buyer a team-BHPian? If yes then ACTUALLY check all the items mentioned above. Honestly.
Old 11th March 2011, 23:09   #25

My i20 CRDi is a november 2010 make(VIN-2471**)
When I drive I hardly care to slowdown too much on bad roads and yet there's no steering rattle, so I'm assuming that the rattling issue has indeed been resolved, or am I speaking too soon? I've done 4200kms on the odo.
Old 11th March 2011, 23:50   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well since long time we were debating on this and today i have an evidence for the same.

Based on a Hyundai India TSB dated on 13th September 2010 it has been confirmed that the infamous 'steering rattling noise' do exist in large numbers both in i10 & i20.

Model : i10 /i20
Group : Steering System
Number: 10-56-I09-PA/PB
Date : 13- Sep -2010
Area : INDIA
Wildon, thanks for sharing this information. The said information was made available to Service Centers along with the Parts in August 2010 or even before. My i20 falls in Category B (June 2009 make) and Rishabh Hyundai voluntarily undertook the said additions. Here's the thread guiding to the same: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...c-rattles.html

And thank God, since August 2010 I haven't faced a single rattle and the AC works fine as well.
Old 12th March 2011, 08:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raonick View Post
When I drive I hardly care to slowdown too much on bad roads and yet there's no steering rattle, so I'm assuming that the rattling issue has indeed been resolved, or am I speaking too soon? I've done 4200kms on the odo.
Touch-wood, let it be that way. Going by the experiences of T-Bhpians with that rattle problem, you would be better off without facing that issue in your i20. Happy driving!
Old 12th March 2011, 08:54   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Based on a Hyundai India TSB dated on 13th September 2010 it has been confirmed that the infamous 'steering rattling noise' do exist in large numbers both in i10 & i20.

Model : i10 /i20
Group : Steering System
Number: 10-56-I09-PA/PB
Date : 13- Sep -2010
Area : INDIA

Subject: CAMPAIGN FOR GEAR ASSEMBLY STEERING NOISE CONCERNS.

DESCRIPTION

This is with reference to the feedback received from dealers regarding, rattle noise from the gear assembly steering on the rough road at any speed.This rattle noise occurs when there is a contact between the rack support yoke and the yoke plug (metal to metal contact) due to vibration on rough roads.

This rattle noise can be eliminated by replacing the urethane pad with yoke plug & and yoke spring as shown in figure.
PARTS REQUIRED

Case A - Kit-1
a. Yoke Plug
b. Urethane Pad
c. Yoke Spring

Model falls under CASE A - i10 & i20
Applicable VIN range for i10 - 417501 ~ 699405
Production periond - 19.08.09 ~ 31.07.10

Applicable VIN range for i20 - 073867 ~ 207656*
Production period - 23.07.09 ~ 31.07.10

Case B - Kit-2
a. Urethane Pad
b. Yoke Spring
Model falls under CASE B - i10 & i20

Applicable VIN range for i10 - 124027 ~ 417500
Production period - 01.07.08 ~ 18.08.09

Applicable VIN range for i20 - 016366 ~ 073866
Production period - 01.12.08 - 22.07.09

Note: For vehicles affected under CASE - A, yoke plug replacement is necessary since oil has been applied in the yoke plug. However in CASE-B, no application of oil, so yoke plug replacement is not required.

* Campaign need to be performed in all the affected vehicles without customer complaint.

OMG! And still dealers are denying that any such issue exists!!

This is messed up!
I too had asked the dealer regarding rattle and he was not willing to even touch the steering assembly!!(good thing that they backed off as they didn't know, how to!)
Old 12th March 2011, 10:02   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
@skanchan95

In your case I honestly feel the issue was amplified by the incompetence of the workshop.
There could be a very strong possibility of the same. If that is the case, why is the company not willing to take action against that good for nothing workshop in Junagadh? I had provided every type of proof to the company about the car's troubled history with Om Hyundai, Junagadh. Since the matter is in court now, it will not take much to prove in court about the workshop's incompetence or the inaction on the part of HMIL in my case. I kept on reporting about the Junagadh workshop's incompetence to the RO and Hyundai. But these people kept on ignoring me and refused to do anything about it. Instead, they referred to me as a paagal & jhik jhik wala.
They left the wrecking crew in Junagadh to continue their work unchecked.

Now the truth is out with wildon's post. Just proves that the real paagals and cheats are HMIL officials, for having hidden this issue from the customers. They were even telling me ONLY my car/very few cars had such issues. No amount of arguing about it with them seemed to work, they were adamant about the same.

Even yesterday I sent an e-mail to them(RO/Customer care) about the latest issue in my car of dust inside the speedometer console and how those people in Om Hyundai, Junagadh are responsible for it. I am yet to get a response for it from Hyundai. My fear is, having looked at what all things have gone wrong in my car, that there may be other systems in the car that are close to failure or damage due to the workshop's incompetence.
Old 13th March 2011, 18:28   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raonick View Post

My i20 is a Nov '10 make too, the rattle is present in my car, but only on really bad roads at 20-40Kmph. My vehicle has done 10k Kms though.. and the rattle started at around 9k.

Hope you are not affected!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks