Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2011, 19:39   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Hyundai i10-i20 Steering yoke plug issue (Updated part is also bad)

Well, this is what a lot of existing owners have problems with. it doesnt help that Hyundai isnt taking a stand either way. It will definitely impact the resale value of these cars.
However, in the long term do you think that it will also impact the image of cars being manufactured in India? Or will this be considered as a fault at Hyundai,s end?
Old 14th March 2011, 00:19   #32
Senior - BHPian

I am confused, if this issue is present in newer vehicles or not.
I have removed i20 from my short-listing (not ready to take a test drive even).
Looks like only time will tell if 2011 make cars have the problem or not.
Old 14th March 2011, 15:48   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
The said information was made available to Service Centers along with the Parts in August 2010 or even before.
The point is that the dealership lied by saying that the Euro IV/ BS IV models does't have this issue. The TSB data showing that the problem was still there even in the vehicles which produced in July 2010.

And Hyundai still not saying that the problem is solved or not.
Old 14th March 2011, 16:57   #34
BHPian

My i10 1.1 is a July 2008 car pre facelift top line model with sunroof. Last year got the steering column changed apparently due to rattle under warranty and this time last month they changed the Tie & Rod under warranty and the rattles have more or less gone however lets wait and watch.
I have another peculiar issue of clutch juddering. Car has done about 17000 in 2 years 9 months only in mumbai traffic no outstation trip. Mumbai roads as you know are horrible including the so called vip road of marine drive. Last month in the service got the clutch cable changed and the juddering went now in 14 days with just about 300 kms on the board and the juddering has returned, asked the clutch to be completely changed under warranty and they claim that they will have to open and examine. Is anyone else having this issue ?

I personally feel this is the best city car and i find parking, fuel economy, creature comforts, and fit and finish better than any maruti in this price bracket therefore happy with the purchase but am shocked with the frequency of these 2 problems over the ownership period of this car. Due to this juddering it renders bumper to bumper driving a chore since clutch keeps slipping.
Old 14th March 2011, 17:13   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
I have another peculiar issue of clutch juddering.
Its a known problem for many years, a clutch replacement under warranty may solve it.
Old 15th March 2011, 08:11   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post

And Hyundai still not saying that the problem is solved or not.
If you tell Hyundai that your car is still having the issue, inspite of having undergone the latest fix, they stop answering you. Jokers!!!!!
Old 15th March 2011, 10:08   #37
BHPian

Yesterday I went to a Hyundai dealership to buy extended warranty for my pre-owned i20 which is 8 months old. I got the 3rd and 4th year warranty for 7.1K (20% discount on 9K because of the Free Camp stuff). I think it's totally worth it considering that issues like these may crop up.

While I was waiting for the associate to print my extended warranty certificate, I was browsing through their notice board. They had an article printed where they were claiming to be the only brand in India without any recall history (something to that effect). They had a graph showing the number of recalls by various brands (Honda/Maruti, etc.). I was so intrigued by this and was wondering how a major company like this can get away with such an issue with their cars. To top it off they were bad mouthing other brands with such claims.
Old 15th March 2011, 13:24   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
To top it off they were bad mouthing other brands with such claims.
Hyundai started these kind of things long back, when Swift was introduced.

Even now, in Hyundai website itself, they compare i10 with Wagon-R, Spark, etc regarding their mileage. And we all know where the truth is.
Old 15th March 2011, 14:00   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post

While I was waiting for the associate to print my extended warranty certificate, I was browsing through their notice board. They had an article printed where they were claiming to be the only brand in India without any recall history (something to that effect).
Hyundai are nothing but hypocrites & cheats!!!! In the US, they had recalled over 1 lac Sonatas for some problem in the steering. They very well know India does not have as strict laws as the US. True that they did not recall any cars in India, but had this steering rattle issue cropped up in the US, Hyundai would have been running around like a rocket to fix the issue. In India, with our "chalta hai" attitude, they are doing nothing but cheating the customers!!!!

Besides, car recall only shows the company's honesty and acceptance that they have an issue and they are fixing it. Whereas, Hyundai, like some secret service agency, are silently asking dealers to insert urethane pad/ yoke spring/plug to solve the steering issue(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...se-issues.html). Hyundai should be ashamed for making such claims of being "the only car maker".

Who is better? Hyundai or other brands which recalled cars? The way Hyundai has handled this steering rattle issue with customers, it certainly amounts to cheating.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 15th March 2011 at 14:14.
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2011, 14:02   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Hyundai started these kind of things long back, when Swift was introduced.

Even now, in Hyundai website itself, they compare i10 with Wagon-R, Spark, etc regarding their mileage. And we all know where the truth is.
If I recall, there was a time when Hyundai even claimed that the old WagonR was a officially a 4-seater car as opposed to the 5-seater Santro. Unfortunately, Maruti fell into this trap and discontinued that lovely 50:50 split back seat which could even recline backwards, something that I have never seen thereafter in any hatch. Even GM has begun comparing the Spark to the Alto and the Beat to the I10, etc. So, it is not uncommon to find manufacturers comparing their brands with each other. Thankfully though, the public does not always swallow such claims.
Old 15th March 2011, 16:13   #41
Senior - BHPian

My 2 cents on the steering rattle

Since my July 2009 car has been fuss free and flawless except for the rattle which no passenger can really pick up, I have ignored this, and have been happy to do so for 14000 kms.
On reading of the advisory here, I went to the service station to talk to the one knowledgeable person there.
I was concerned that in trying to fix it, they don't aggravate things.
He showed me the yoke spring, and the nut topped with the urethane seal/pad that will be used to fix the problem, he says permanently.
Earlier, according to him, only the urethane pad was being added to the nut kind of thing in the assembly, and this wasn't working quite the way it was supposed to, the pad broke after some time, and the noise returned.
Now Hyundai has issued three bits of kit in a plastic bag, all of which are to be used. The urethane pad, a new nut to carry it, and the spring. It takes 60 minutes to do the job, and some care has to be exercised in doing it.
He also says, that if this replacement is not done, it is also not a big deal. Things won't get worse.
I have until next week to decide if it is worth the attempt to get rid of the occasional clunk, which only the driver can feel+hear. I don't want any other problems to arise in fixing this minor one. The service manager I am talking to is confident that this won't happen.
The car is flawless otherwise, other than the gutless engine, which I can live with, since the car is never used fully loaded.

PS: This really is a minor thing when one understands it well. Forum members get excited about it, but clearly the market at large doesn't give a damn, that's why 7000 people buy the car every month. Quite rightly too, it is a brilliant car for Indian cities and highways, while the i 10 is the car for crowded city centers. Bravo Hyundai, for giving a valid alternative to Maruti. Who make good cars too, by the standards of most Indians for whom the car is a servant, not an obsession!

Last edited by Sawyer : 15th March 2011 at 16:18.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2011, 17:00   #42
BHPian

i was scared when i started experiencing this "rattle" kinda thing wile releasing/straightening the steering after a left/right turn within 20 days/800 kms of my run-in. Got the first service done yesterday and thankfully as guessed it was the tire upsize that was scraping the mudflaps producing this noise. PHEW

Mine's a Jan 2011 manufactured i10 VTVT and so far so good (Am still praying and hoping i am not speaking too soon).
Old 15th March 2011, 18:35   #43
BHPian

Re: My 2 cents on the steering rattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
PS: This really is a minor thing when one understands it well. Forum members get excited about it, but clearly the market at large doesn't give a damn, that's why 7000 people buy the car every month. Quite rightly too, it is a brilliant car for Indian cities and highways, while the i10 is the car for crowded city centers. Bravo Hyundai, for giving a valid alternative to Maruti. Who make good cars too, by the standards of most Indians for whom the car is a servant, not an obsession!
+1. My thoughts exactly. I too don't think this steering rattle is such an issue that should rattle every I10 or I20 customer. In many cases, people have never encountered the problem, while many others would not even be bothered about the problem. In any case, I don't think that this 'rattle' would 'steer' people away from the two I-siblings.
Old 15th March 2011, 19:13   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Since my July 2009 car has been fuss free and flawless except for the rattle which no passenger can really pick up, I have ignored this, and have been happy to do so for 14000 kms.
paying over 6 lakhs for a car, I certainly do not want to make any adjustments with it. When I buy a car, I am putting my hard earned money into it,money for which I have stayed away from my loved ones for months,for which I have given my blood, sweat and time, expecting it to give me a trouble free ownership experience. I definitely do not buy a vehicle to make adjustments with the car. No Sir, no way i can live with anything abnormal with the vehicle.

Quote:
I was concerned that in trying to fix it, they don't aggravate things.
He showed me the yoke spring, and the nut topped with the urethane seal/pad that will be used to fix the problem, he says permanently.
Earlier, according to him, only the urethane pad was being added to the nut kind of thing in the assembly, and this wasn't working quite the way it was supposed to, the pad broke after some time, and the noise returned.
Now Hyundai has issued three bits of kit in a plastic bag, all of which are to be used. The urethane pad, a new nut to carry it, and the spring. It takes 60 minutes to do the job, and some care has to be exercised in doing it.
He also says, that if this replacement is not done, it is also not a big deal. Things won't get worse.
I have until next week to decide if it is worth the attempt to get rid of the occasional clunk, which only the driver can feel+hear. I don't want any other problems to arise in fixing this minor one. The service manager I am talking to is confident that this won't happen.
Where is this Service center is this? They seem to be very co-operative, having the patience to show in detail all the parts. I might be driving down to Pune, so might as well visit and speak to them about the problem I am facing with the steering rattle.

Quote:
This really is a minor thing when one understands it well
IMHO it maybe a minor issue for owners who, as my friend puts it, believe, if a car wont rattle what will. Maybe some owners learn to live with the problems at hand instead of finding a solution and that really is a solution to this problem at hand, play Ostrich. Every company has a troubleshooting checklist, HMIL has gone through it and found nothing wrong. The meaning is very simple, the rattle is a design issue. I beg to differ in the view point of some people that it is minor issue. Steering is a critical system of the vehicle, any trouble in terms of noise or otherwise indicates an underlying problem, which, if neglected, in the long run can prove fatal. My brother has a near accident with the steering system failure on this very car- the Hyundai i-20. we raised the issue with the R.O and the APSM had the audacity to ask us to drive down this vehicle to the service center. On aksing about the safety issue, he had no answer!!! For them its more like, "ok let him drive, if he reaches in one piece, we can laugh over it, if he doesnt we will call it an accident". Maybe HMIL will wake up only if someon is fatally injured in the car. Only when you step into the other's shoe will you realise how big a problem this has been. Prevention is better than cure, only Hyundai is not listening. Gone are the days of "Caring for you always". Those were the days of B.V.R Subbu, today its the younger lot wanting only to earn bucks.

Quote:
Bravo Hyundai, for giving a valid alternative to Maruti.
Hyundai may have given an alternative to MAruti but what about after sales service? HMIL was one of the best in after sales, but today even Hyundai loyalists are sick and tired of the worthless A.S.S hyundai has setup across the country.

Quote:
Who make good cars too, by the standards of most Indians for whom the car is a servant, not an obsession!
Maruti makes cars for the masses. While I am no big fan of Maruti, I do appreciate the procative measures taken by Maruti Suzuki for the problems at hand. Atleast they had the courtesy to send people over to enquire about the problem and acknowledge. Hyundai, on the other hand, refuses to acknowledge the problem, they have been consistently saying this to customers across the country that the steering rattle problem is one of a kind, found only in their cars!!!
When Hyundai can go to the extent of recalling cars in the US over a steering issue in October 2010, they refuse to acknowledge the problem with the vehicle's steering system. Why? It is because of the laid back attitude of some customers who believe in the "chalta hai" attitude. It is this attitude that HMIL has turned into its advantage in India. People knock, raise queries, complain but HMIL comes only with one standard reply "please take your car to the service center"

Do we, Indian customers, differ in anyway from the Americans? I do not understand what standard you are referring to, but as far as safety goes, you cannot have separate benchmarks for different countries. A human life is to be valued irrespective of the origin. Had this issue cropped up in the US, Hyundai would have run pillar to post to make sure this problem is sorted out.
Old 15th March 2011, 19:30   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkanchan View Post

Steering is a critical system of the vehicle, any trouble in terms of noise or otherwise indicates an underlying problem, which, if neglected, in the long run can prove fatal. My brother has a near accident with the steering system failure on this very car- the Hyundai i-20. we raised the issue with the R.O and the APSM had the audacity to ask us to drive down this vehicle to the service center. On asking about the safety issue, he had no answer!!! For them its more like, "ok let him drive, if he reaches in one piece, we can laugh over it, if he doesnt we will call it an accident". Maybe HMIL will wake up only if someon is fatally injured in the car. Only when you step into the other's shoe will you realise how big a problem this has been. Prevention is better than cure, only Hyundai is not listening. Gone are the days of "Caring for you always". Those were the days of B.V.R Subbu, today its the younger lot wanting only to earn bucks.

This is the incident that he is referring to
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2178493

The very wise people in Hyundai, rather than sending someone to investigate the issue, asked me to drive the car as it is to the workshop (nearly 90/200 kms away - depending upon which workshop i chose to visit).

The car stood still for almost a month in the porch while I made repeated requests to HMIL to send someone. All those pleas and requests fell into deaf ears. After seeing this madness from Hyundai, how can we possibly be happy about the way Hyundai handled the issue?

In big cities, it is very easy for people to reach service stations which are within the cities. But for majority of Indians who live in small towns and who put their hard earned money into buying cars, for whom buying a car is more of an investment than a servant, such attitude by Hyundai certainly makes them feel cheated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks