Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2012, 19:03   #196
Senior - BHPian

re: Hyundai i10-i20 Steering yoke plug issue (Updated part is also bad)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
These Hyundai fellows make me sick. They were always aware of the issue, just that they thought it was a problem facing a small percentage of cars(which they were obviously wrong).

Not too long ago, for the same rattle noise, these idiots were claiming that the sound is "normal",that the noise was a figment of the driver's imagination. People who went in with repeated complaints were being called "jhik jhik waalas" & "paagals". Now of all of a sudden, they are keen to fix it?

The bottom line is the steering rattle issue cannot be fixed in its current state, unless Hyundai does something drastic about it, which I seriously doubt.The recurring rattle is due to the inherent design defect in the i20's steering. All these years Hyundai did nothing but cheated those who were troubled with this issue, in the name of supposed permanent "fixes". How I wish consumer laws were strict in our country and Hyundai be punished severely or even forced to pack its bags & leave the country for cheating the owners.
This is strong reaction from you skanchan. Problem is that India do not have any stringent law to take on these kind of issues. Even if it were there, it can easily be violated in India. This is the reason why the manufacturers are not much worried about their customers.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2012, 09:29   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
This is strong reaction from you skanchan.
That is because I have seen how poor Hyundai is in handling genuine complaints. Initially I thought the workshop in Junagadh was poor and incompetent, but slowly I came to realise that the RO & the management is just as incompetent as that workshop.

When the management and the fellows who are supposed to monitor the performance of the authorised workshops don't know how to do their jobs properly, how can one expect the workshops to be good? They fail to realise that their salaries are a direct result of the sales & service, and it is their duty to see that everything functions smoothly. The way I see the RO & management working with the workshops, its like corrupt cops siding with goons & mafia.

The RO thinks just because that workshop is racking up sales numbers, it is doing well. How about the poor service? How about they not being be able to address a single issue in my car, instead those vandals ended up damaging my car purposely. The RO, instead of coming down hard on that workshop, simply washed off their hands saying "it was outside their purview". I had even raised the issue with Hyundai's top management. None of those "great" people even bothered to respond. To me it was a clear sign that all these fellows were birds of the same feather and they were working hand in hand. In the end, I had no where to go except the consumer court?

These Hyundai fellows just don't know how to monitor erring workshops or how to rectify the "sins" that the workshops commit. You have a company here which instead of accepting its faults( steering issues), blames the customer for the issue. That in itself shows how responsible Hyundai really is!!!!
Old 6th March 2012, 10:34   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by su1978 View Post
Feel that in our country if you shout at the top of your voice all the while lying, everyone will take it be truth. Same is the case with Hyundai and Tata
While I agree with your point about Hyundai, I am not sure why you have included Tata in that statement. Tata may not provide the showroom experience like Skoda/ Honda but they are pretty good at the basics of building and repairing a car. Of course, anyone who buy a Tata expects to have some niggles, but I havent seen a single Tata product for which a core part is defective as in the case of the i20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
This is strong reaction from you skanchan. Problem is that India do not have any stringent law to take on these kind of issues. Even if it were there, it can easily be violated in India. This is the reason why the manufacturers are not much worried about their customers.
Unfortunate but thats the truth. All I can do though is to stay away from the i20; not only in the showrooms but also while driving on the streets/ highways. After all who knows when some unfortunate i20 owner's steering will give way. Selfishly speaking, I dont want to be impacted just because the legislation/ jurisdiction here does not understand or care for human life.
Old 13th March 2012, 18:23   #199
BHPian

Update:

A month back the rattling noises had become unbearable. They were more pronounced on the left side as if they were emanating from the front left suspension. Even more scary was the fact that there was a loud metallic judder from the same area if I lugged the car at 25-30kph in the 3rd gear. I actually discovered this accidentally. This was really getting on my nerves. I literally stormed in the service station asking for the service manager. Gave him a piece of my mind and warned him of taking this up to Hyundai Motors if they were unable to resolve it.

Car was in the service center for 5 days. 6th day I went to collect it, and I was told I had to pay 150 bucks for brake caliper greasing. Time to go berserk again (Not because of the paltry sum I had to pay, but because it said nothing of the issue being fixed). Same routine called up the manager. He summoned the service engineer and asked him to explain. His reply was that the trailing arm was bent, and was hitting against something(I don't recall what) and that they've straightened it and there should be no more noise.

I wasn't satisfied and called the service eng who actually worked on the car, took a trial with him in the passenger seat. Tried all rough roads nearby, lugging the car @20kph in 3rd, but no noises. Except for thumps from the suspension. Upon some coaxing he tells me, the engine mount bolt was bent and had to be straightened and greased and fixed back in place. He had no idea why that would happen. Nevertheless the rattling was gone, juddering was gone as well. All this was replaced by thumps from the suspension. i10 never had a silent suspension, from day one I could hear the suspension at work. But this was way louder. The service guy had no explanation.

Honestly I was glad that the rattling noise had gone, and this fix seemed proper. A month has passed since and the rattling noises have not returned(fingers crossed). However the road noise and suspension noise has increased significantly. My guess is this is due to all the dis-assembling these guys would have done to pinpoint the problem.

I ain't buying a hyundai ever again in my life, and neither am I going to advise anyone to buy one. All this experience has left a really bad taste about the brand.
Old 13th March 2012, 20:35   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When the management and the fellows who are supposed to monitor the performance of the authorised workshops don't know how to do their jobs properly, how can one expect the workshops to be good? They fail to realise that their salaries are a direct result of the sales & service, and it is their duty to see that everything functions smoothly. The way I see the RO & management working with the workshops, its like corrupt cops siding with goons & mafia.

The RO thinks just because that workshop is racking up sales numbers, it is doing well.
Your question itself is the answer. The car is doing good numbers in spite of the problems. Why should the company bother? Only the market will be able to force the company to take a serious look on the issue, by turning away from the product. But that doesnt seem to be happening
Old 30th March 2012, 13:41   #201
BANNED

Quote:
The bottom line is the steering rattle issue cannot be fixed in its current state, unless Hyundai does something drastic about it, which I seriously doubt.The recurring rattle is due to the inherent design defect in the i20's steering. All these years Hyundai did nothing but cheated those who were troubled with this issue, in the name of supposed permanent "fixes". How I wish consumer laws were strict in our country and Hyundai be punished severely or even forced to pack its bags & leave the country for cheating the owners.

Can you check with your lawyer for the possibility of filing a class action suit against Hyundai India for this. So more people effected with this trouble can join with you.
Old 30th March 2012, 14:56   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Can you check with your lawyer for the possibility of filing a class action suit against Hyundai India for this. So more people effected with this trouble can join with you.
I had enquired with him before filing the case whether people from different cities can join hands. He said not only will it be difficult, but there will be many legal loopholes that the company will exploit and will indulge in delay tactics( I am already seeing this in my case). The complainants will have to file a case in their respective cities. You can use each other's help to provide proof and attend court hearings. Once you file a case, you will have to make the dealership in your city as respondent as well, something which not be possible for troubled owners from different cities.

Anyway, I will try checking with him again.
Old 12th April 2012, 23:34   #203
BHPian

sandesh, patiently went through the entire thread - am contemplating buying the new i20 but am confused regarding the steering issues. Does anybody have the new 2012 i20???

I am surprised that both you and Wildon have not thought of writing to Hyundai management in Korea with a cc to the management of a competitor say Kia motors. I recently had a problem with a new 60k 2 tonne ac from Mitsubishi Heavy (different from Mitsubishi Electric). After futile discussions at RO and India HQ levels, a simple email to the Chairman in Japan had the issue resolved, including a brand new replacement of the entire machine

We recently got the entire AC panel (costs 32k) for our BMWs (fellow member FlyingSpur and me) replaced for faulty paint issues. So keep fighting - eventually justice will be done.

Would love to hear someone say that the 2012 i20 is all good!!!'
contangoback is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 06:03   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Quote:
Anyway, I will try checking with him again.
I am not dissuading you, but please go through the thread created by harishv for his Skoda not returned in 4 years now.
Again I am not saying this will be the case, but its best that you are aware of all the possibilities our 'system' has to offer
As always I wish you well in your endeavours
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2012, 09:59   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by contangoback View Post
sandesh, patiently went through the entire thread - am contemplating buying the new i20 but am confused regarding the steering issues. Does anybody have the new 2012 i20???
They are still beating around the bush regarding the issue. No guarantees that the issue has been solved in the new i20, just verbal assurances. I have only been given dodgy assurance that the issue will be solved once the rack is changed(again) in my car. After three years of breaking my head with them and after several false assurances, I have my reasons to say that In Hyundai, I don't trust!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by contangoback View Post
I am surprised that both you and Wildon have not thought of writing to Hyundai management in Korea with a cc to the management of a competitor say Kia motors. I recently had a problem with a new 60k 2 tonne ac from Mitsubishi Heavy (different from Mitsubishi Electric). After futile discussions at RO and India HQ levels, a simple email to the Chairman in Japan had the issue resolved, including a brand new replacement of the entire machine
Japanese have a great work ethic and are honorable, unlike Koreans. It is not as if those Hyundai fellows sitting in South Korea don't know about the issue. There was this CRDi Asta in Vapi(Gujarat),(refer to the i20 steering rattle database here:https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...en&output=html), which too underwent steering rack/column replacements and the problem remained unsolved. At some point of time, the Hyundai RO in Ahmedabad asked the owner to send his car to Ahmedabad so that Hyundai engineers from Korea could have a look at the problem. The car was sent to Ahmedabad and engineers had a look at the issue. They did some "circus" with the car and returned it saying the problem had been sorted out. It was not surprising that the issue remained as it is. Frustrated, he sold of his i20 and bought a Punto 90hp.

This is what may have happened, the Koreans with their typical high headedness, would have blamed Indian conditions and driving style for the issue and our fellow citizens working in Hyundai may have simply nodded in agreement, not wanting to piss their Korean bosses off!!!! Had these guys taken a stand that the issue is because of design issue(which is well known by now), and not our conditions, may be the issue would have been sorted out!!!!

Until recently Hyundai fellows were keen on shooting the messenger, so to speak( going by the way I made numerous complaints to them, they may want to "shoot the Sandesh" ). They were busy blaming the owner and making excuses for the issue. When they had this attitude towards such a serious issue, its not surprising that they are still not confident that the issue has been solved or not!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I am not dissuading you, but please go through the thread created by harishv for his Skoda not returned in 4 years now.
Again I am not saying this will be the case, but its best that you are aware of all the possibilities our 'system' has to offer
As always I wish you well in your endeavours
I know mate. Harishv's patience and dogged determination pursuing his case is an inspiration and are bhpians are with him .

Delay tactics are what they employ and they have acquired mastery over it. I was warned by our lawyer and some of my friends working in corporates that this will happen and it has. There is not even an inkling of apology form Hyundai, inspite of knowing fully well how pathetic their workshop in Junagadh is and how in some ways are directly responsible for the things that went wrong in the car.

They are least bothered about a customer's serious concerns. How I wish consumer laws were more strict in India with criminal punishment(and jail time) for top honchos.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 13th April 2012 at 10:04.
Old 13th April 2012, 10:08   #206
BANNED

Someone claimed that that this is fixed in the new i20. Any comments, observations. It is naturally too early to get experience, but maybe some TBHPian has checked this out.
Old 13th April 2012, 10:37   #207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Someone claimed that that this is fixed in the new i20. Any comments, observations. It is naturally too early to get experience, but maybe some TBHPian has checked this out.
This is the response I got from the Hyundai RO regarding my queries about thee latest fix that they want to attempt on my i20. Preceding mails are seprated by "-----". No guarantee that the issue will be fixed.

Quote:
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2012 9:12 AM
To: Sandesh Kanchan
Cc: XXXX ; XXXX; XXXX
Subject: RE: Concerns regarding your i20 GJ11SXXXX.

Dear Mr. Kanchan,

This is regarding your concern regarding the design of the new Steering Rack Assy; By Nov 2011, new steering rack Assy was introduced in field and the major design change is on the change in material and construction of the Yoke Plug (Similar design to that of competition has been adopted). These are the same rack that is going to the new face lifted i20 which will be launched by this month end.

It was seen that hardly any claims for warranty are coming on these new rack for the past 3-4 months period. That is the reason why after through feedback from field the same has been communicated to you so that the latest model steering rack can be put in your car.

Do not have any apprehension on the same, we are here to support you till the above mentioned problem is solved.<I wonder where was this support when the EPS malfunctioned in my car and they failed to respond to my detailed report about the issues faced in the car.

Kindly coordinate with Mr. XXXXX of Shreenath Hyundai for fixing the appointment for your visit.

Assuring you best of our services…

Thanks & Regards
XXXX

APSM - West-2 RO

-------------------------------
Sent: 21 March 2012 20:13
To: XXXXX
Cc: XXXX; XXXX; XXXX; XXXX; XXXX
Subject: Re: Concerns regarding your i20 GJ11SXXXX.

Dear Mr XXXX,

Thanks for your mail and appreciate your follow up with Mr xxxx.

Yes, I am in Mangalore now. Departure from Mangalore may get delayed though.

I was informed by Mr XXX that the part in question is a new one. I would like to ask you what has changed in the rack from the previous ones? What is the guarantee that the rattle will not recur after the part has been replaced?

You are aware that apart from the various experiments done on the car at the junagadh workshop, the steering rack has been changed in our car twice. Prior to the second steering rack replacement, we were assured that the rack was the one that was being installed on facelifted 2010 i20 models and that the rattle would not recur, but it did. What if the rattle recurrs? There is no point in replacing the part if no guarantee can be given. I do not want to go through the sense of Déjà Vu this time.

Only after I get a concrete assurance from the company that the issue has been sorted out permanently and that the visit will not be a waste, will I take the car to Shreenath Hyundai , Rajkot. I have found them to be far more polite and competent in trying to understand and address issues in the car, something which the fellows in your junagadh workshop could learn from. I do not want to repeat the tales of shameless vandalism on my car done by those fellows in your junagadh workshop.

Awaiting your reply so as to proceed further.

Regards,
Sandesh

--------------------

On 21-Mar-2012, at 10:24, "XXXXX" <XXXX@hmil.net> wrote:

Dear Mr. Kanchan,

This is further to yesterdays call received to you from Mr. XXXXX (Service Manager – Shreenath Hyundai) wherein as per your conversation you are currently out of station till 26th March 2012.

Request you to kindly send your car to Either Om Hyundai or Shreenath Hyundai as per your discretion, once you reach back.

As per the below trailing mail, as assured, this mail is for replacement of necessary part against which the entire issue has been raised for.

Thanks & Regards
XXXXXX
APSM - West-2 RO
Old 13th April 2012, 10:49   #208
BHPian

I see a few Tv ads of mr Shahrukh khan smiling away and painting a glorious picture of the i10. Is that all it takes for potential i10 owners to get swayed away and buy a car which is now famously known to have the rattling problems (or is it just us petrol heads who are sensitive to such issues?). The i10 is a good car, but it also has its fair share of bad problems.
Old 13th April 2012, 14:13   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Took delivery of a new i10 AT in March. Whenever the car goes over some patch patches of road there is some rattling sound which comes from either the suspension or it is the infamous steering column rattle . Its like as if something is hanging loose and dangling in its place and then comes in contact with other objects when the car oscillates on an uneven road. The car has done just 350 kms till date. THe sound has been there since day one. I haven't had the time to contact the service centre yet. Looks like the steering rattle issue has not been tackled by Hyundai in the 2012 i10 at least.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 13th April 2012 at 14:15.
Old 14th April 2012, 19:19   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Looks like the steering rattle issue has not been tackled by Hyundai in the 2012 i10 at least.
Thankfully, my 1.2 Kappa2 I10 does not have any steering rattle despite having traveled 18,700 kms since we bought it in December 2010.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks