Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2013, 15:21   #241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.ks View Post
My car is 2010 Model i10 and it went for 4th paid service today.

SA called me and informed that there is noise in steering column and mentioned YOKE. I immediately looked at this thread and talked to him. My car is covered under additional warranty hence he was able to get replacement done.

This noise started around 2-3 weeks back and I had no idea that 'known' issue is reason behind the noise. SA was very co-operative and immediately got it changed.

Later on I also showed him this thread and he could identify circular from Hyundai pasted on post 1.

In my bill it is marked as "PLUG-YOKE" for part and "Replacement of Yoke plug with O ring" for service.

If car is not under warranty, it would cost 850 + taxes for this replacement.

Car was serviced at 17k+. VIN number does not fall in range provided in Post 1.
I dropped my i20 for steering related repair yesterday at the HASS. I was quoted a similar 850+ for the repair. Since my vehicle is covered under 3rd year warranty I will not be charged for the repair.
Do you suggest a 4th year warranty? I have been quoted 7.5k for the 4th year warranty. Is it worth it? Mine is a petrol car run around 19k kms with no issues other than steering rattle.

Last edited by Me-hul : 22nd November 2013 at 15:32.
Old 22nd November 2013, 19:08   #242
BHPian

re: Hyundai i10-i20 Steering yoke plug issue (Updated part is also bad)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me-hul View Post
I dropped my i20 for steering related repair yesterday at the HASS. I was quoted a similar 850+ for the repair. Since my vehicle is covered under 3rd year warranty I will not be charged for the repair.
Do you suggest a 4th year warranty? I have been quoted 7.5k for the 4th year warranty. Is it worth it? Mine is a petrol car run around 19k kms with no issues other than steering rattle.
I would take that in a heartbeat. Hyundais are notorious for expensive spares.
krreddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2013, 11:28   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me-hul View Post
Agree with Kreddy. However given the timing that your car is in 3rd year of warranty, 4th year warranty has become expensive.

I will suggest trying to negotiate with HASS a bit and see if rates come down. With new i120 coming in in 2014, spare part prices will go north.
vivek.ks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2014, 23:39   #244
BHPian

Hey guys,

I own a 2010 Hyundai i20 CRDi Sportz. [2009-2011]. My brother has a same model same year. (bought together 2010 December: Both White color)

We both faced this steering problem for a long time.

1. My steering used to produce a (grrrrrr grrrrr) noise (need to bring your ear close to the horn pad) 100% of the time i steer it when the speed is under 20kmph. For example while making U turns. This started from 7000-10000 kms range on the odo. After each service it used to be O.K for a 100 kms and then again starts with the problem. In my 30k service, SA advised a steering column replacement. It was done under warranty at 0 cost. After this, I do not face any issue. Steering and the car performs like a charm. Its done 52k Kms now.

2. My brother's car has a unique trouble of not returning to center automatically. I have noticed in my car, the steering returns to center position pretty well. But it does not happen in my brother's car. The other problem he has is the same (grrrrrr grrrrr) noise. We both service at the same service center in Bangalore (in fact with the same service adviser). Yet, there was always a denial/refusal or a kind of deferring the steering column replacement for him.

Like the initial post in this thread says, probably this issue is because of production flaw.

Questions:

1. I would like to know if any iGEN i20 owners (2013 and later) are facing similar issue?
2. I get a typical smell on the outside of the car (not sure how to term it ) when i start the car and idle it for some time. It is felt more near to the exhaust pipe.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 20th February 2014 at 04:35. Reason: Removed high speed references from post.
Old 20th February 2014, 10:09   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2prashan View Post
2. I get a typical smell on the outside of the car (not sure how to term it ) when i start the car and idle it for some time. It is felt more near to the exhaust pipe.
Does it smell like burst firecrackers!!??
Old 20th February 2014, 12:26   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
Does it smell like burst firecrackers!!??
Tried idling today to see if its what you questioned. But, No. Its not a firecracker smell. When observed closely, i find it something similar to a burnt candle. Or as soon as you turn the candle off there is a smell from its smoke. I think this must be related to carbon. May be a chemist can answer it right. I will check with the service adviser next time around.
Old 29th March 2014, 08:35   #247
BHPian

I have an i20 Asta CRDi that I acquired in Nov 2013. Its run for about 10k now and I believe I can hear the much talked about steering rattle now. It has become more pronounced when I corrected the air pressure to 32 - 33 psi on the front wheels. I noticed that if the pressure is kept at 28 psi the noise does not come. Probably due to better shock absorption from the tires. It rattles away when a rough patch of road is encountered. A sharp metallic sound continuously from somewhere around the steering column. Has anyone else encountered this noise on the I-gen models? I thought they had fixed this issue. I am due for the 10k service now. Would it make any sense to report this and get it changed under warranty or leave it as it is? If it would recur after fixing then there may be no use in fixing it in the first place. Would be great if someone who has gone through this provides some input. I am sort of hesitant to report this as I do not like tampering with the factory fit.
Old 29th March 2014, 09:12   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post
I have an i20 Asta CRDi that I acquired in Nov 2013. Its run for about 10k now and I believe I can hear the much talked about steering rattle now. It has become more pronounced when I corrected the air pressure to 32 - 33 psi on the front wheels. I noticed that if the pressure is kept at 28 psi the noise does not come. Probably due to better shock absorption from the tires. It rattles away when a rough patch of road is encountered. A sharp metallic sound continuously from somewhere around the steering column. Has anyone else encountered this noise on the I-gen models? I thought they had fixed this issue.
Interesting! Even I own a November 2013 manufactured i20 but it has run only 4k kms and it does not have steering rattle. I thought that they had fixed steering rattle issue on all newer models of i10 and i20. Seems like it is not fixed.
Old 29th March 2014, 10:19   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have an i20 Asta CRDi that I acquired in Nov 2013. Its run for about 10k now and I believe I can hear the much talked about steering rattle now.Would be great if someone who has gone through this provides some input. I am sort of hesitant to report this as I do not like tampering with the factory fit.
Please refer the ownership report of skanchan95 who had faced the steering rattling issue. Link.

I thought that the new gen models didn't have the steering issue. My 2011 model i20 has completed 81000 km and haven't faced the issue till now. Go through the above ownership report and make sure you are facing the same issue.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2014, 10:19   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
Interesting! Even I own a November 2013 manufactured i20 but it has run only 4k kms and it does not have steering rattle. I thought that they had fixed steering rattle issue on all newer models of i10 and i20. Seems like it is not fixed.
I was aware of this issue haunting the older models but since there were no reports of this in the I-gen models I went through with the purchase. Looks like mine may be the first one to come across this. The rattle is not at all present on smooth roads but it comes up when I drive on roads that are not surfaced(kind of rough roads made with stones and mud hardened but without potholes). I have decided to wait a few more kms to see if this aggravates. I am quite sure it is not something like coins or other objects rattling as I cleaned it all out once I noticed this sound. And nothing from the dashboard too. Lowering the tyre pressure to the recommended value of 30 really helps to stop this but why is the sound coming in the first place? This relation with the tyre pressure makes me suspect that it indeed is a steering column issue. Need to try out this scenario on other make cars to see if at least a slight hint of rattle is present. If yes, it would be better to leave it as is.
Old 1st April 2014, 09:54   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like mine may be the first one to come across this. The rattle is not at all present on smooth roads but it comes up when I drive on roads that are not surfaced(kind of rough roads made with stones and mud hardened but without potholes). I have decided to wait a few more kms to see if this aggravates.
I had read about another new i20 that had the same steering rattle issue. The Hyundai workshop in that case advised the owner to replace the steering rack with the one used in the old i20. Not sure if the owner went ahead with the replacement.
Old 1st April 2014, 10:23   #252
BHPian

Prior to my i20 I used to drive i10 and it had the notorious steering rattle. I had complained to the HASS many times but nothing worked out and eventually I sold my i10. I thought that the steering rattle issue was fixed in the new i20 and I went ahead and purchased it last year. It is worrying to see that people are reporting that the rattle issue is recurring. This is not a good sign.
Old 1st April 2014, 10:42   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
Prior to my i20 I used to drive i10 and it had the notorious steering rattle. I had complained to the HASS many times but nothing worked out and eventually I sold my i10. I thought that the steering rattle issue was fixed in the new i20 and I went ahead and purchased it last year. It is worrying to see that people are reporting that the rattle issue is recurring. This is not a good sign.
It definitely is not a good sign at all. I have tried to narrow down the source of the noise. It is not something rattling in the dashboard definitely. I think Hyundai has somehow managed to only control this rattle instead of eliminating it all together. I would suggest that you try increasing the tyre pressure and try driving over rough roads at about 15-20 kmph and see if it surfaces. But I started noticing this only at about 10000kms on my car. So I am really not sure if you may get to hear it now in your car. I have about 500kms to go before my 10k service. I will report this and if they confirm that it indeed is a steering issue I am planning to ask them to leave it alone till it aggravates. I still have about 2.5 years of warranty left to get it repaired. I'm glad I opted for extended warranty! I will post an update on this as soon as I finish my service.
Old 1st April 2014, 10:45   #254
Team-BHP Support

Guys, are we having this steering rattle issue in the Grand i10? Tried searching a few ownership threads for any such comments from owners, but couldn't find. Any pointers?
Old 1st April 2014, 11:12   #255
BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest that you try increasing the tyre pressure and try driving over rough roads at about 15-20 kmph and see if it surfaces. But I started noticing this only at about 10000kms on my car. So I am really not sure if you may get to hear it now in your car. I have about 500kms to go before my 10k service. I will report this and if they confirm that it indeed is a steering issue
In my old i10, the steering rattling surfaced after 15k KMS. I can easily identify the rattling sound since I lived with it for almost 3 years and I know when the steering rattling sound starts and when becomes silent. I have been driving my new i20 with tyre pressure at 34 psi and been driving on bad and rough roads since the car purchase and I have not heard any sound till date. I doubt whether sound emanating from your car's dash board could be steering rattle. Anyhow your car is due for 10k service. Please let the HASS know about it. Hope that they are able to rectify the issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks