Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2009, 01:32   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman91 View Post
guys instead of renting tyres why don't you just buy a second hand set works out cheaper also I don't see the worry in using your current tyres! Yes you will lose a little more of its life than usual but is that such a big deal?
Most of us have upgraded tyres and they are never put to the test on the streets, this is where you can actually see it perform.. Just my view end of they day your money your tyres your choice
Guys, I've never been on the track before & hence these noob questions... Hope you'll don't mind.

I have not given away the old tyres when I replaced recently. The old ones are '05 JK (OEM on Esteem), these have seen 60K Kms but have about 2-3mm of thread left in them. Do you suggest I put these back on just for the day? I mean what risks am I taking here?

PS: Neo, Would you be there?

Cheers!
Goutham
Old 21st March 2009, 01:55   #197
Senior - BHPian

risks are:
sliding the car,losing control, tyre burst (in case of excessive heat)

but that can happen to any tyre main dependant being driving style and the power output of car.

rahul, sounds like a plan or get someone to sit with a camera in the passenger seat

yeah vikram, lets cal them too
Old 21st March 2009, 01:58   #198
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
rahul, sounds like a plan or get someone to sit with a camera in the passenger seat
Been there done that Amit. Videos are too shaky while cornering, its better to mount the cam on the dashboard. Let me see if I can come up with some mounting solution for the SX4.

Goutham, in my opinion you should just put your old tires and get the car to the track. I have run on far worse set of tires. I am sure Akshay will agree with me on that.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 21st March 2009 at 01:59.
Old 21st March 2009, 02:01   #199
BHPian

Quote:
risks are:
sliding the car,losing control, tyre burst (in case of excessive heat)
Wokay JK's... out you go!

Quote:

I am game!!!

Cheers!
Goutham

EDIT: Rahul just saw your post... Both you guys have confused me now LOL. Since this is my first time around the track, I guess I will not risk it & run with the XM1+ only. Racing Slicks (JKs) can wait for the next time I guess...

Last edited by Venom_rider : 21st March 2009 at 02:06.
Old 21st March 2009, 02:15   #200
BANNED

Goutham, tires only act as a limitation to your ability to push the car harder. If you have crappy tires, the lesser speed you carry into corners, the earlier you must brake etc. You could literally run on bald tires and still manage to have a lot of fun provided you know the point at which you shouldn't be crossing the limits of the car and yourself.

IIRC, the best fun we have had so far on track was on Anush's puny esteem with literally no tires. Every corner was taken sideways and the music of squeeling tires to go with it.
Old 21st March 2009, 02:27   #201
BHPian

I see your point buddy.
My only worry is that being new on the tracks, I may not really know "the point" (atleast for a few laps).
Ahh... May be I am getting all worked-up unnecessarily here. Lets cross the bridge when it comes

Howz your baleno doing BTW? All set to burn some rubber huh?
Old 21st March 2009, 11:16   #202
BHPian

@venom rider

Dude chill. Its a matter of 4-5 laps. You would kinda develop the line and your braking points and after that its only about knowing where the limit lies. Its no big deal. Its not rocket science. You would feel absolutely at home in no time.

Cheers
Old 21st March 2009, 14:59   #203
Senior - BHPian

Muderator:
Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
@ Experienced track day'ers:

Can we have a post on the minimum requirements, do's/don't at the track venue
  • What papers/documents should one carry? In original or photocopy? No one cares on track. But NH officials might.
  • Mandatory safety equipments in car etc. Can a vehicle without seat belts be allowed? (My Gypsy doesn't have ANY seat belts)No. You need 2 front seatbelts. And helmets with straps.
  • Food? Fuel etc..?? Whatever floats your boat or runs your car.
  • Cost Sharing: What would be the cost /person or /vehicle that people should be aware of. Fuel to and from Chennai -- highway driving most cars should give 15 if driven normally. On track, expect 8-9 from a Baleno or Vtec. Food, budget Rs 500. Driving at Rs 1000.
  • Any other thing that you would like to mention.Full trousers and full shoes mandatory. You may like to carry driving gloves if your palms get sweaty. Wear light cotton/linen since it will get hot and an airconditioned car is normally slower. Carry a basic first-aid kit and if you're on pre-paid, make sure you have enough currency. Make sure your brakes/clutch/tyres are ok.
Frankly speaking, I am clueless on what to expect and seeing the number of first timer (including me) expressing their interest, it would be good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Looks like you answered your own question.

If I am getting back to bikes (I am banned from riding by folks at home, the last time I decided to ride, it was a Ducati 749 after 06 SR). I would prefer it to have an engine that churns out numbers to the north of 80 horses atleast. A good enough a reason to kill myself, not otherwise .
How about that 100 bhp Honda that you rode briefly? And then pushed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
He he, who can forget gulzar lmao....that said those were probably some newbies puttering around on SBK's at the time, the fastest SBK times now are a good 10 secs+ per lap faster than the fully blown factory 2 strokes (Group C), they'd be out of sight after 1 lap
Actually, it was the regular group at the time, but since everyone was on their first track day, Mr Gulzar could paste around corners with 15 bhp while the 150 bhp guys had to be more careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
No da! I am still using the "Stock ECU", "Stock Intake" & the " Stock Cam".. didnt donate them!!! it was spec'd but not to Ritesh's but to Shan's car!!

~Shrey
Bugger, don't you have like an 8000+ rpm rev range? I thought you had the RD ECU.
Old 21st March 2009, 15:09   #204
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
How about that 100 bhp Honda that you rode briefly? And then pushed.
How can I forget her? It was more pushing than riding actually. And burning of legs due to spilling of boiling coolant.
Quote:
Bugger, don't you have like an 8000+ rpm rev range? I thought you had the RD ECU.
Yeah! I heard he was running a D16 manifold too amongst other mods. Looks like he prefers to claim his car stock .
Old 21st March 2009, 18:41   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How can I forget her? It was more pushing than riding actually. And burning of legs due to spilling of boiling coolant.
Hmm I believe it was more of ME pushing.
Old 21st March 2009, 18:48   #206
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
Hmm I believe it was more of ME pushing.
That was just one day. Remember she was with me for a long time?

Coming back to topic, I remember having put up some videos of the track day on one of the earlier threads. Cant seem to find them. Maybe they would be of some help for everyone to know what to expect on track.
Old 21st March 2009, 19:30   #207
Senior - BHPian

YouTube - trackday mmsc
Old 21st March 2009, 20:23   #208
BANNED

Here is another one. A must watch for all the people heading to track for the first time. Look at the map put out earlier by someone and try to memorize the turns. It helps a lot.

Old 22nd March 2009, 14:14   #209
BHPian

Hats off to you guys man!!

Guru why don't you start off a detective agency..

Just kiddin yaar, Akshay that 8000+ stuff was only for the drags, now I'm back to stock with a 7100 rpm limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Rahul, again, that was only for the drags, I am running stock. Btw, what are the other mods that your talking about yaar!!

Quote:
Yeah! I heard he was running a D16 manifold too amongst other mods. Looks like he prefers to claim his car stock .
Old 22nd March 2009, 17:19   #210
BANNED

Shrey, I heard your car was very similarly setup to Wolf's except for the ITB's. So I am guessing upped CR, headwork,TB,cams,ECU?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks