Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2023, 21:54   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Indian couple involved in Supercar crash in Italy that left two Ferrari occupants dead

I was expecting a head-on crash between one of the supercars and an oncoming car in the first few seconds, when I saw the full video for the first time.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 21:54   #17
BHPian

Re: Indian couple involved in Supercar crash in Italy that left two Ferrari occupants dead

Everyone was wrong on this side of traffic except the camper and the car with dashcam footage.

However, clearly the Ferrari driver was just too reckless and did not wait for the Lambo to over take first (that would have been wrong too given the solid line). In the final moments Ferrari can be seen even getting off the left lane and on the dirt. That was just a recipe for disaster on such a two lane carriage way.
Rodie09 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 21:58   #18
Team-BHP Support

The Daily Mail is like the Indian press - exaggerating things.

Am no lawyer, it's more manslaughter. Again, all are to blame

It can be argued that the Ferrari was going too fast to be spotted in the mirror and a whole lot more. No doubt the best lawyers will be on the job
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 23:05   #19
BHPian

Rules followed or not, the 4 supercars before the red Ferrari lined up in a queue behind the camper van and waited for their turn to overtake. There seems to be an order to their cockiness. The red ferrari broke that unwritten common sense. It should have queued up behind the blue Lamborghini, who was already under the assumption that it was his turn to overtake!

Last edited by Comrade : 4th October 2023 at 23:07.
Comrade is online now   (22) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 00:02   #20
BHPian

What kind of an idiot overtakes on a single lane road with a solid line dividing the road?

My wife failed her driving test just because she went over white solid line. Forget overtaking, she passed over the white line and the evaluator instantly failed her. That's how strict driving evaluation is here in Europe.
Simha.k is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 00:38   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

This accident should be used as a tutorial video for showing how NOT to drive on two lane roads. I mean, what was the Red Ferrari driver thinking ? Truth be told, I have myself come across these type of drivers on two laned Indian roads as well but this accident is something else altogether !!

Super cars with insane amount of power at tap, narrow roads and reckless minds are sure shot recipe for disaster and that is what has happened. Two people lost their lives and that’s sad. The campervan got involved in the accident for no fault even when he was driving just fine. The way the van just flew shows what velocity can do !
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 00:52   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
In the final moments Ferrari can be seen even getting off the left lane and on the dirt.
If my eyes don't deceive me, I think the Ferrari jinked right at the very last moment which resulted in the collision. Probably he was too close to one of those while poles marking the edge just beyond the paved part and was trying to avoid hitting it.
Old 5th October 2023, 07:13   #23
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Everything in that Daily Mail article and even this thread title seems to imply that the fault for the crash is with Vikas Oberoi and his wife. Maybe it is a bit early to judge that. Yes we are generally bad at following rules and we have terrible road manners in India. But this doesn't automatically go to mean that we are always at fault when we are driving abroad.
I would suggest better to reserve judgement for now and change the thread title too to something more neutral and less sensational.
shankar.balan is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 08:05   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I would suggest better to reserve judgement for now and change the thread title too to something more neutral and less sensational.
I agree that both Supercar drivers were at fault. In fact when I saw a later longer video on whatsapp I daresay I’d mention the Ferrari first between the two - it was well and properly aggressive in its approach on the wrong side of the solid line.

Having said that, the thread title is totally factual and neutral already. It says Indian couple “involved” in a crash - not “caused” / “responsible” for a crash. Nothing sensational about the title IMO.

Its relevant enough for readers of an Indian auto forum to know there were Indian citizens also impacted / involved in the incident that’s all. Just as the reference to “Supercar” or “Ferrari” doesn’t mean anything more than the fact of it.
Axe77 is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 08:21   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

All I will say is that ALL the supercar drivers were rash, and yes, the Ferrari and Vikas were probably the rashest of the lot. Don’t know what the authorities will say here - but you can’t say that there was no fault for either of the cars. The Oberois are lucky they lived and that no one in the camper died. There are accidents and there are situations where you are asking for trouble - to my mind, this was the latter.
Hayek is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 09:42   #26
BHPian

For once i felt this video is from India, the roads, scenery and road manners looked every bit Indian.

Another thing i noticed apart from overtaking on a solid lined road which all the supercars did Vikas was just tailgating the camper during the overtake, should have maintained at least a safe distance probably that would have saved them or made the crash a bit les severe.
Gaur is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 10:06   #27
Team-BHP Support

I'm going to go against the tide here and solely blame the Ferrari driver.

In an ideal world, all are breaking rules and overtaking solid white line. I agree to this that all are at fault for violating rules but the accident cause is the red Ferrari only.

The Blue Lambo always had 2 tyres on opposite lane to look at oncoming traffic. It was clear that the blue lambo was trying to pull an overtake. All the cars in front overtook the camper van together but the blue lambo held back to be on the safer side and was waiting for a safe pass once the cars in front went.

On top of that all the cars were following a convoy and none of them tried to overtake each other till then. The Lambo driver could have checked the ORVM but he would have been focussed on the road in front to pass safely. Never would he have expected a Hakkinen move especially when he was already having his car 2 tyres out on the oncoming lane.

The Ferrari driver simply got impatient and thought to show off and pass the lambo with a small gap even when he knew the Lambo was trying to pass as well. There was simply no reason to do that move.
Vid6639 is offline   (121) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 10:22   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
+1.

A simple but important practice that used to be followed when we had highways of only 2 lanes in total (and applicable very often even today) - Overtake One Vehicle At A Time. The Ferrari didnt follow this.
condor is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 10:26   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

In an ideal world, all are breaking rules and overtaking solid white line. I agree to this that all are at fault for violating rules but the accident cause is the red Ferrari only.
You are not against the tide my friend. Many have already voiced the same on this thread. It is indeed the Ferrari driver that caused this crash and paid with own life and partner's too sadly.

Last edited by Axe77 : 6th October 2023 at 06:25. Reason: Please do not quote entire long posts as it inconveniences our readers on mobile devices. Thank you.
Rodie09 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 10:57   #30
BHPian

The Lambo driver probably didn't want to cross the solid line, saw his supercar mates whizzing past without any regard for the rules, thought of doing the same, and ended up with fatal consequences.

The Ferrari driver either had his peripheral vision compromised or became a little chauvinistic about his machine or something else.

Apparently a guided 6 day tour over 1000-plus kms in a brand new supercar! Cost of the tour; about 15 lakhs INR. (Google)

Any Bhpians done this tour?

Last edited by crdi : 5th October 2023 at 11:03.
crdi is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks